Who Will Become Our Next Great Home Produced Defender

Delima
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ecstatic by Hutington's composure  bluebiggrin.gif

Can we finally have home grown good defenders coming through?

If all Taylor, Ramage and Hutington fulfill their potential than we will have one of the best central defender pair in the league, in the future.

How about David Edgar?

Could anyone who has watched enough of Hutington and Edgar pleasse share some info?

Don't think Ramage will get much better. Only seen Huntington against Blackburn and Chelsea so its far too early to say anything about him. Taylor can actually be great though definitely. He's on form now, and he's toned down a bit on the amount of stupid challenges he does. If he can wipe them out of his game completely, then in years to come he can be one of the Premierships very best. Down to him.

Guest the_guv_nor

why is it that kris gate never gets a first team call up? i hear he is a decent defender and hasnt he been the reserve team captain for the last few years now?

anyone seen much of him lately?

Taylor will no doubt play for us for many years to come.

Maybe Huntington, especially now he has been given his chance.

Ramage won't particularly improve much, but I'd have him as backup in seasons to come.

Edgar isn't that great. Doubt he'll make it, might grab a few appearances but not much else.

Taylor will no doubt play for us for many years to come.

Maybe Huntington, especially now he has been given his chance.

Ramage won't particularly improve much, but I'd have him as backup in seasons to come.

Edgar isn't that great. Doubt he'll make it, might grab a few appearances but not much else.

How would you compare Edgar and Ramage?

Huntington didn't really show a lot of composure.  It was his first game and I'm not going to judge him in the long term based on that one game, but he gave the ball away numerous time, and the worst was that header he failed to clear.  I'd like to see him play in his position as well.

Taylor has improved this season, and physically he has what it takes. I still haven't yet seen him produce the kind of assured, dominating performance that really gives you the belief that he's arrived. Maybe that'll come soon.

Ramage I see as a player who reads the game very well, but I can't see him becoming a top grade centre back because he's not good enough in the air.

Huntington - seen very little of, but he looks like a strong character and my hunch is he'll make the grade.

Edgar - never seen.

Ramage is not really a footballer, more of a retard

Actually Ramage looks way better at CB than LB...He is not that bad in his natural position...

Guest keego_nufc

Edgar is pretty solid, for U-20 Canada he is the best defender and will be looking for his first 1st team cap after the U-20 championships in Canada. 

Edgar is solid and only 19 years old so he looks promising

Got me wondering . . . who was our LAST great home produced defender?

We've had some excellent home grown defenders in the past, but the past doesn't count. We sold them anyway. Some went on to play for England or win trophies like the European Cup with other clubs , one went to the ambitious nappy rippers and if not for injuries could have been an England player.

Ecstatic by Hutington's composure  bluebiggrin.gif

Can we finally have home grown good defenders coming through?

If all Taylor, Ramage and Hutington fulfill their potential than we will have one of the best central defender pair in the league, in the future.

How about David Edgar?

Could anyone who has watched enough of Hutington and Edgar pleasse share some info?

What do you mean by "finally" ?

I don't get the Taylor hype myself. As far as I'm concerned, the thing with young, inexperienced players is that you put them in the team, they make mistakes, the learn from their mistakes, and become better players. If they don't learn from their mistakes, and keep on making them it makes me think that their learning curve is going to be pretty short. And Taylor, keeps on giving away stupid fouls and picking up stupid bookings. The 2nd yellow he got for the U21s against Germany was absolutely criminal - Diving in from behind 40 or 50 yards from goal when he's already on a yellow? Good grief. He's been around a little while now, and if he hasn't got it in his head that making a decision like that is probably not the thing to do I can't see him picking up much nous in his career and fulfulling his potential.

As for Ramage, not sure why so many people seem to have such a downer on him. I think he has looked pretty comfortable in the european games at centre back.

PS: Steve Howey!

As for Ramage, not sure why so many people seem to have such a downer on him. I think he has looked pretty comfortable in the european games at centre back.

Some people seem to judge Ramage on his performances when played out of position. Taylor gave away a dangerous free kick against Chelsea (which the ref wrongly booked Ramage for).

Taylor and Ramage are both local lads. Personally I hope they all make it to a high standard as it would save the club a fortune.  I saw posts from Chelsea fans praising Taylor's performance and suggesting he would be a good buy for Chelsea. I would imagine Taylor would rather stay at Newcastle because it means something to him to wear the black and white.