Sold? Not Yet

ToonTastic

The man behind this purchase is a Bayly Philip Winder who comes from old money and splits his time between London and Princeton New Jersey... always worked with arab banks, retirement funds, hedge funds etc... why the interest in NUFC? His mother was English but also old money and Southern. Wife is from California. I don't know of a direct connection. Perhaps a link to the Gettys?

Very strange purchase from this man.

blueconfused.gif

Anyone know anything else about this purchase? Why us? What other links can be made?

BTW - Polygon, Winder, USB... serious deep pockets. Granted this money was not stolen from Russian citizens selling there shares in Soviet Industry compounded by mafia oil, prostitution & drug money*, but still... serious cash.

* Any similarities to any other Premiership club be they southern shite, blue, band-wagon jumping, west end tory-voting w*nkers is purely coincidental/accidental and should not be taken as fact.

My missuses was going to buy me shares in NUFC for Christmas, warned her not to due to the takeover, fun to see her scratch her head to think of what else to get me.

Good news for Jan anyway, just hope Glenn uses the cash in the right places

Could be the end for Glenn just like Alan Pardew!

The man behind this purchase is a Bayly Philip Winder who comes from old money and splits his time between London and Princeton New Jersey... always worked with arab banks, retirement funds, hedge funds etc... why the interest in NUFC? His mother was English but also old money and Southern. Wife is from California. I don't know of a direct connection. Perhaps a link to the Gettys?

Very strange purchase from this man.

blueconfused.gif

Anyone know anything else about this purchase? Why us? What other links can be made?

BTW - Polygon, Winder, USB... serious deep pockets. Granted this money was not stolen from Russian citizens selling there shares in Soviet Industry compounded by mafia oil, prostitution & drug money*, but still... serious cash.

* Any similarities to any other Premiership club be they southern shite, blue, band-wagon jumping, west end tory-voting w*nkers is purely coincidental/accidental and should not be taken as fact.

Wasn't this the same bloke interested in buying Liverpool but would only buy if they did a ground share with Everton ?

My missuses was going to buy me shares in NUFC for Christmas, warned her not to due to the takeover, fun to see her scratch her head to think of what else to get me.

They'l probably tell him they will give him time to see what he can do like they did  Pardew.

They'l probably tell him they will give him time to see what he can do like they did  Pardew.

Your probably right, just about enough time upto when the window opens  :lol:

Polygon and UBS, with a group of money men rather than one high-profile individual behind the takeover, began talking to Newcastle last summer before placing their accepted offer of 93p per share on the table.

if thats true then theres still margin there atmo....shares have offer price of 85p.

so if you move fast you can make a bit on them.....i just bought 750, all i could afford atmo

Polygon and UBS, with a group of money men rather than one high-profile individual behind the takeover, began talking to Newcastle last summer before placing their accepted offer of 93p per share on the table.

if thats true then theres still margin there atmo....shares have offer price of 85p.

so if you move fast you can make a bit on them.....i just bought 750, all i could afford atmo

Careful mate. That 93p is a ceiling not a guarantee.

United to be sold

Dec 15 2006

By The Journal

Newcastle United last night refused to comment on reports that a £227m bid for the club had been accepted.

The reports say secret talks have led to a joint bid by American financiers Polygon and the United Bank of Switzerland being accepted unanimously by the club's board.

The club remained tight-lipped about the prospect of a takeover which is now said to be in the "due dilligence" stage and expected to be completed in the New Year.

Under-fire chairman Freddy Shepherd will receive £20m for his shares while major shareholders, the Hall family will reportedly walk away with around £48m from the deal. And Glenn Roeder is expected to stay on as manager with a transfer kitty of £20m at his disposal.

The shock takeover scuppers rival interest shown by investors The Belgravia Group, who had been going through a similar due dilligence process, without making a firm bid for the club.

Polygon and UBS had reportedly been speaking to the Magpies since the summer before putting an offer of 93p per share on the United board's table.

With the deal picking up the club's debts of around £87m, the offer values the club at £140m.

One season ticket holder and shareholder, Jonathan Wells, last night told The Journal he was happy with the reported deal.

"Anybody buying Newcastle for less than a couple of hundred of million would have been getting a bargain so I think Freddy Shepherd has held out for a better price," he said.

"I think it's probably good news. I think there's always been money to spend, though not as much money as the richer clubs.

"A transfer kitty of £20m doesn't even go a quarter of the way towards what some of the clubs have. It's a question of whether we're ever going to challenge the top five. We looked like we were going to five years ago but have drifted away from that.

"It would be nice to get back into the Liverpool and Arsenal area of the Premiership."

Guest Gemmill

Paper talk at the minute imo.  Until there's an announcement to the stock exchange there's plenty scope for this to all fall through so I would hold your horses on getting too excited.

Paper talk at the minute imo.  Until there's an announcement to the stock exchange there's plenty scope for this to all fall through so I would hold your horses on getting too excited.

yep!

i wont cheer until something official is out!

A reclusive owner who shuns publicity will be a very pleasant contrast to Shepherd. Likewise his intention to appoint the best available people and let them do their jobs.

Getting rid of Roeder at this stage would be a mistake though IMO. I'd look at the situation at the end of the season. Not giving Roeder a chance feels like a vote of no confidence in the players as much as anything. Our position isn't the same as West Ham's.

It occurs to me that there's going to be a few clubs intending to spend in January. Competition for only a limited number of available players might be quite fierce.

Polygon are a hedge fund (IIRC), but when they were looking at the toon before i dont think they had a heavy backer like UBS.

If reports are true, they've wiped off £87m worth of debt when buying the club, so even if they fail, we've just been given £87m plus whatever they allow GR to spend in the winter window, and there after.

I think anyone is better than what we've got right now, i just hope even the most hardened FS fans will be impressed by the new lot coming in, and we all enjoy success together, finally.

they always had the UBS backing as far as i remember.

I don't recall hearing that, and I'm pretty sure I would've remembered. You don't forget UBS :D Any idea where you think you heard it?