Should Watford's goal have been allowed?

Rob

Did anyone else think it was a foul on Given? ... and why didn't we deploy a defender to protect given in the first place?

Pearson needs to look at how we defend corners and crosses, I think we are very weak in that area.

Guest SmileyCulture

I just saw it on MoTD, a pretty shocking descision from the ref to allow it tbh he forced given into his own net. He tried to do it 3-4 times and the ref did squat about it.

Thats what i couldnt get... i've seen it this afternoon... on football first and MOTD... and it is a foul every time.  Usually the whistle is blown before the ball gets into the box! 

But still think it was very niave defending from us, to onlt stick someone between them after the goal.

A definite foul on Given, they were doing it all game and the ref should have stopped them. Like I said at the time if the ref feels he can ignore something like that then it's the job of the defenders to make it so he can't ignore it. It's very unlikely that the ref would ever give a penalty against us for that, but it is quite likely that we might concede if we let them get away with it, like we did today.

the watford player stood his ground,goal should stand for me.

more to the corner,why is it we had a fantastic plan for near post corners in shearers day,anything in that area he cleared,now we don't even put anyone there?wasn't a skilful job just good tactics and positioning.

So you think Given went down too easily?

We've never looked more vunerable at corners than now, but to be honest  i haven't looked that closely to see if 'been anyone on the front post.. is that the case now then?

We've never looked more vunerable at corners than now, but to be honest  i haven't looked that closely to see if 'been anyone on the front post.. is that the case now then?

i think given tried to get a leg round and got held off and on the second point not the front post but on the angle of the 6yd box.

i think given tried to get a leg round and got held off and on the second point not the front post but on the angle of the 6yd box.

They didn't show it properly on MotD it went on for much longer and was much worse than what they showed, it also happened throughout the game at each and every corner or freekick. It was clearly a foul as the corner is taken he barges Given back away from the ball then barges him again before scoring, thereby preventing Shay from making what would have been a routine save. 100% a foul, no doubt at all.

Watching again, I think I agree with madras... Given gave the first slight nudge, then Bouazza just jostled him out of position. Had that been a battle between two outfield players it wouldnt really be an issue, therefore it shouldnt be here either.

My usual position on these sort of things is that I don't mind it being legal so long as things are made consistent and evened out across the board. Given should've been allowed to grab him by the throat and throw him out of the way, therefore. I get the feeling that such an act would've been considered illegal, today (yesterday, now...), and so seeing as he could only reasonably defend his goal by committing a foul of some nature, he should've been afforded protection. Otherwise you're setting a precedent that players can totally restrict the freedom of a goalie. Unlike outfielders who, it can be said, just have to run around an obstacle, the vast majority of a goalkeeper's time at corners is spent on the goal line. Coming off it in this particular situation puts his goal at even greater risk, of course, and as I say above, he can't move the obstacle so what is his option? He needs this protection for the good of the game, I believe, therefore. A bit like the offside rule, anything else would see set-pieces become a tactical game with the aim of impeding, or preventing the impediment of, the only bloke who can use his hands.

Poor refereeing. The ref should have been looking in to the six yard area and the linesman into the back of play. However it shows our back 4 inexperience as one of them should have gone slightly infront of the Watford player, stood on his foot/anckle, apologised and then repeat if need be. Cant jump or run if someone is standing on you and from the referees view point two players jostling is part of defence/attack power struggle

What was clear for me is that Baba doesnt know what hes doing when defending corners, a left back should either  be on the post or else shadowing an attacker, more often than not on the post though, Baba was wandering around like a lost sheep.

Guest nufcandy

What was clear for me is that Baba doesnt know what hes doing when defending corners, a left back should either  be on the post or else shadowing an attacker, more often than not on the post though, Baba was wandering around like a lost sheep.

im not defending him here but with the last corner of the game he headed the ball out of the danger area...but i repeat i am not defending him as the rest of the game he was beaten repeatedly!

It shouldn't have counted due to basically everything being called up as a foul these days in and around the keeper. It wasn't a consistent decision as referees will still give shitty fouls in favour of the keeper.

I'm glad it didn't count for anything in the end though, couldn't stand to lose to a team that plays football like that.