Chelsea (Carling Cup) - Pre-match thread

Newcastle Fan

Given

Parker Huntington Taylor Ramage

Milner Butt Emre Duff

Martins Dyer

it looks good on paper, perfectly symmetrical infact.

Don't know the squad, but i'm hoping for something like this:

Given

Solano --- Taylor --- Moore --- Ramage

Milner ---  Emre --- Butt --- N'Zogbia

Martins --- Owen

But i think my idea of the ideal starting XI is somewhat unlikely.

Guest Toonman37

Going to  be  a  close  game.  Might  go to  extra  time.  But  i  think  The  Toon  might  nick  this  one, am sure Chelsea  will  field an  under strength  team, while  we will  field  our  strongest.  Should be a  cracking game though 

Don't know how accurate this team is, it'll probably change when i've seen the squad.

----------------------------- Given ------------------------------

Huntington --------- Taylor ---------- Ramage --------------- Duff

Dyer ---------------- Butt ----------- Emre ---------------- Milner

------------------- Martins ---------- Rossi ----------------------

Subs: Srnicek, Edgar, Luque, Parker, Sibierski

Defence, once again, picks itself. I'd be tempted into saying that it's a shame Duff is at left-back, but as of yet - that's been his best position for us. Plus, i always feel that Milner has been very effective on the left; he played well there against Pompey and Palermo. Now, he can cut inside and shoot. Milner needs a goal desperately. He can beat men and his crossing his improving... he needs to start scoring to complete his game - he is really lacking on shots on target.

I'm hoping that Parker won't be fit - and that Emre will be. Because otherwise, it'll be a Parker-Butt partnership which i just don't fancy. Dyer down the right, which is where i think he should play more often. I'd be tempted into saying that Milner on the left and Dyer down the right as my favoured wing partners - but i'd like to see if Duff picks up his game first, because i think he may well do.

In my opinion, Sibi needs a rest. He's been playing excellently of late, but we saw against Watford how he was bullied out of the game by an average defender. He's had niggling injuries, and i think it's just time that he had a break. Besides, Rossi played very well last week and i've got no qualms with playing him. Others don't like him, but i do - i think we should put faith in him cos he's a canny player. After all, he's here so we may aswell use him. Roeder probbly won't but i hope so.

Sibi might be a decent impact player anyway.

I think we can do these. I'd be gutted if we lose.

Newcastle United 1-0 Chelsea

Dyer

I think the most likely team is probably this, but it's not what I would go for.

Given

Solano

Taylor

Ramage

Duff

Milner

Parker

Butt

Emre

Martins

Dyer

Subs

Srnicek

Huntington

Pattison

Sibierski

Rossi

Solano's "60/40" like, I think he'll be doing everything possible to play. Might be a gamble if we went with him and Duff at fullback against Chelsea with their wingers.

Praying that Terry is unfit and that Drogba gets rested again, Sheva, SWP and Kalou as their front three would be as good as we could hope for - if the likes of Mikel get a game as well then we have a real shout.

Don't get me wrong, i'd love it if Solano were fit - but i just don't think he'll be fit enough and i can only imagine we'll damage him further if we do play him, which would be suicidal. He's one of our most important players now.

Agreed though, if Drogba and Terry are out - i'll be very confident.

Guest Deep456

Don't get me wrong, i'd love it if Solano were fit - but i just don't think he'll be fit enough and i can only imagine we'll damage him further if we do play him, which would be suicidal. He's one of our most important players now.

Agreed though, if Drogba and Terry are out - i'll be very confident.

I wouldn't be confident but say we would have a chance.

Don't know the squad, but i'm hoping for something like this:

Given

Solano --- Taylor --- Moore --- Ramage

Milner ---  Emre --- Butt --- N'Zogbia

Martins --- Owen

But i think my idea of the ideal starting XI is somewhat unlikely.

Nee Carr!!!!!! bluebigeek.gif 

(Moore wouldn't be my ideal like, I'd rather have someone with a bit more pace)

The fact that Luque stormed off in the huff at the weekend means he's unlikely to appear on the bench again never mind the first 11.

As for Chelsea resting players, Jose Mourinho told reporters that Andriy Shevchenko would start at SJP on Wednesday.

wonder if they will rest anyone though, isn't Terry injured?

Newcastle (from): Given, Srnicek, Solano, Taylor, Ramage, Huntington, Parker, Butt, Emre, Milner, Duff, Pattison, Troisi, Gate, Edgar, Martins, Dyer, Sibierski, Luque, Rossi, Carroll.

Chelsea (from): Hilario, Hedman, Cudicini, Ferreira, Boulahrouz, Geremi, Carvalho, A Cole, Bridge, Essien, Ballack, Makelele, Lampard, Drogba, Shevchenko, Diarra, Wright-Phillips, Robben, Kalou.

Squads from the Beeb.

If Chelsea are putting out a "weaker side" it's difficult to see how it's weaker than ours - that's not a slur on us necessarily, just their squad is awesome. No Terry though, whereas we have 2 defenders of any experience :thup: plus the kids and Paul "2 appearances" Huntington. Duff and Solano as full backs could be interesting...

Don't know how accurate this team is, it'll probably change when i've seen the squad.

----------------------------- Given ------------------------------

Huntington --------- Taylor ---------- Ramage --------------- Duff

Dyer ---------------- Butt ----------- Emre ---------------- Milner

------------------- Martins ---------- Rossi ----------------------

Subs: Srnicek, Edgar, Luque, Parker, Sibierski

Seen the squad, and i'm sticking with that. Fantastic that Nobby has returned so quickly from injury... we can save him for Spurs now. I'd probably have him on the bench and start Huntington, just to protect Nobby.

Intresting we have beaten Chelsea 4 times in our last 6 games against them at St James Park, also a Quarter Final being one of those wins also at this time of year however dispite that if Roeder can come up with a game plan to win this with all the injuries/suspensions we have we will all be very impressed.

Judging by reports it seems to me that Roeder will pick Duff at Left back due to the injuries and suspensions to both Babararo and Bernard, however for me our Midfield is our strength and when Duff and Milner are our wide men it gives us great balance so I would look at a different option at Left Back, Solano got moved to right back to fill in for injuries because his passing is fantastic and Emre is similar in that sense so I would slot him at left back for this match, however I think we would all agree neither Duff nor Emre is ideal at Left Back.

we must base our game around our strengh thats our quality and balance in Midfield, put Dyer bombing on through central midfield with the deliver of both Solano right foot and Emre left foot from full back for Dyer runs/movement could be very effective and use Milner and Duff as width to stretch Chelsea very narrow team however i suspect Roeder will go with Duff at Left back and Dyer will be playing off the left.

Given

Solano     Taylor     Ramage    Emre

Dyer       Parker

Milner                                 Duff

Sibierski

Martins     

Subs, Rossi, Luque, Butt(70 mins for Sibierski move Dyer up top for Oba and Dyer counter attacks), Huntington, Pav

Prediction, Newcastle United 2 v 1 Chelsea, Martins x2, Wright-Phillips.

Guest MagicNumber9

I have a tenna on us to win @ 5/1 so stuck £20 on that

also got 2-0 to us (hopefull yes i know) but with odds like 40-1 it is worth a sly tenna!

COME ON THE FCUKING TOON!!!!

Bridge,SWP and Ferreira all start tomorrow. Seems like Chelsea want to display there soon to be rejects to there best customer.

If only...

If they were to sell Bridge, we would be the most likely buyer. Unfortunately, I don't think Murinho wants to get rid of him.