Curtis Davies - £6m

Anton Ferdinand - £8m

Leighton Baines - £6.5m

Wright-Phillips - £9m

Owen Hargreaves - £10m

Joey Barton - £6m

Dean Ashton - £11m

Darren Bent - £8m

PS: I had to do it, thoughts like this keep me going (and am currently having a sesh on FM07)

:lol:

You missed off bolding the rest of them. Roberto Mancini in disguise, quick buy some overrated English players.

Think they're about equal personally. Naturally each of us will prefer what we got, but either way, both in the top 5 left backs in the league imo.

Cole, then Evra obviously clearly out in front.

Think they're about equal personally. Naturally each of us will prefer what we got, but either way, both in the top 5 left backs in the league imo.

Aye agreed. Cole, gap, Evra, massive gap, Clichy, Gibbs, Enrique, Baines and Warnock, gap, who cares

Curtis Davies - £6m

Anton Ferdinand - £8m

£14m on a defensive partnership not that much (if at all) better than what we have?!  :lol:

Your opinion, shared by you and a peanut.

Just stick to the FM editor,  :razz:

Aye agreed. Cole, gap, Evra, massive gap, Clichy, Gibbs, Enrique, Baines and Warnock, gap, who cares

Clichy is very poor defensively, no way is he close to Jose.

IMO, it goes: Cole - massive gap - Evra - small gap - Enrique, Baines - gap - Clichy - gap - Warnock.

Why do all players playing in Spain have to have minimum fee release clauses in their contracts?

Due to our labour laws, a player would be free to walk out of a contract at any given time. The "release fees" are actually penalties that the player agrees to pay if he does so.

But you say CRonaldo's could easily be challenged in court, I'm assuming you meant for the ridiculously high amount, does that mean others could too if they deem their clause an unfair amount?

Yes. The clause is supposed to be "reasonable" according to the law, and even though it's not defined what "reasonable" is, some players have successfully challenged and succeeded in reducing the amounts. Proportionality with the salary is usually the criteria most followed by courts (remember this is supposed to be a penalty paid by the player from their own pocket). There hasn't been any high-profile case yet, but there are quite a few cases of youth players that had small salaries but huge release clauses that have seen them reduced.

Cronaldo's clause is some 70 times the amount of his yearly salary. That just wouldn't fly in a court if he chose to go down that path.

Guest firetotheworks

If Dean Ashton hadn't retired through injury, I'd still be banging on about trying to get him. I was a bit gutted when he had to retire, I loved his style.

Thank f*** we didnt spunk £11 million on Ashton!

Hmmm...We did spent 17million on Owen though

Hard to decide which would be worse value for money.

Not that hard actually...thinking about their wages and Ashton did play some good football when he was fit

Thank f*** we didnt spunk £11 million on Ashton!

Hmmm...We did spent 17million on Owen though

Hard to decide which would be worse value for money.

Not that hard actually...thinking about their wages and Ashton did play some good football when he was fit

Owen as well when he was fit (which was the problem). He only was really shit in the last 6 months here.

But you say CRonaldo's could easily be challenged in court, I'm assuming you meant for the ridiculously high amount, does that mean others could too if they deem their clause an unfair amount?

Yes. The clause is supposed to be "reasonable" according to the law, and even though it's not defined what "reasonable" is, some players have successfully challenged and succeeded in reducing the amounts. Proportionality with the salary is usually the criteria most followed by courts (remember this is supposed to be a penalty paid by the player from their own pocket). There hasn't been any high-profile case yet, but there are quite a few cases of youth players that had small salaries but huge release clauses that have seen them reduced.

Cronaldo's clause is some 70 times the amount of his yearly salary. That just wouldn't fly in a court if he chose to go down that path.

Surely the players agree to these clauses though?

• 3 years later...

Some pretty mental valuations in this thread. Cole for 8m? Puyol for 10? :lol:

Come back in another 4 years, £10m might buy both.

It just might :lol: