The other games today 2019/20

Greg

Guest firetotheworks

It's mad that there are people out there that are just good at football but aren't particularly arsed about it. I'm almost certain that David Batty just saw himself as a skilled tradesman who won the league twice and got 40 odd caps for England. I still remember being gobsmacked as a kid after he missed that penalty against Argentina and in his interview he just went 'there are more important things in life' :lol: He's right obviously, it just seems really alien.

Guest firetotheworks

Don't know how you become so good at it in  the first place though if you don't love it

:thup: This is exactly it.

Guest firetotheworks

I know you shouldn't be presumptuous and he may very well have a good game and Man United might find a way to stop him, but still...

I would imagine you probably start out loving it as a kid and then it just ebbs away. No matter how much you love football listening to some shit cunt droan on about where to stand at a set piece many times per week is going to be canny dull.

I would imagine you probably start out loving it as a kid and then it just ebbs away. No matter how much you love football listening to some shit cunt droan on about where to stand at a set piece many times per week is going to be canny dull.

:thup:

I reckon a canny few players will have loved and been excited about the game on the journey from Sunday league, through the youth ranks into the professional level, where they then find the destination leaves a lot to be desired. In which case all that's really left is the wage packet leading to it being perceived as any other job would be.

Guest firetotheworks

Don't know how you become so good at it in  the first place though if you don't love it

I dunno, if you're super talented at something and its a way to make a ton of money I don't think its a barrier to success to not love what you do

If you don't love something when you're a kid you don't really do it do you? I can't imagine pursuing a career that's already extremely hard to get into without actually liking it too.

I suppose there's the hobby losing its fun when it becomes a job thing. Like David Bentley

I remember there being a big stink when Benoit Assou Ekotto came out and said something to the effect that he didn't enjoy football, it was just something he was good at and did for the cash.

John Carew proper hated football his entire life, but he was good at it and wanted to make money so he could pursue his acting ambitions without feeling any economic pressure :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

I dunno, if you're super talented at something and its a way to make a ton of money I don't think its a barrier to success to not love what you do

If you don't love something when you're a kid you don't really do it do you? I can't imagine pursuing a career that's already extremely hard to get into without actually liking it too.

I suppose there's the hobby losing its fun when it becomes a job thing. Like David Bentley

Yeah that's fair, I guess you'd have to like it at some point, but if you're head and shoulders above every one else in your age group at something I guess you just continue to do it.

Imagine the jealousy around that person, man. Hundreds of kids that would give anything to be a footballer and then the fucking Will Hunting of football comes along and he doesn't even give a shit. :lol:

Yeah that's fair, I guess you'd have to like it at some point, but if you're head and shoulders above every one else in your age group at something I guess you just continue to do it.

Imagine the jealousy around that person, man. Hundreds of kids that would give anything to be a footballer and then the fucking Will Hunting of football comes along and he doesn't even give a shit. :lol:

You'd still have to work really hard like even if you didn't enjoy it. Agree with Disco mind. Presume any footballer who's not too bothered did love it as a kid at least. For the Foster one, being a keeper is a bit different anyway

Guest firetotheworks

Yeah, I just meant not giving a shit about football, as in not having any interest in it beyond being good at it. :thup:

Will Hunting :lol: what a reference. Love that film.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye that would piss me off immensely. What's quite weird is that you hear quite a few pros who weren't massively standout at school. My mate played with David Davis who plays for Blues now and said he was nothing special at school, but all he did was play football. On a side note I played against a lad who was pro for blues for a bit and he was literally untouchable, the level they can play at is something else.

Tell me about it, I went to school with Jack Colback who's obviously a very successful footballer in the grand scheme of things, but he was absolutely nowhere near as good as David Borley (Bury), Mark Rassmussen (Burnley), Stuart RichardsonNicholson (WBA), and a few others at my school who played for England early on. Seriously though, I must have talked about it a million times on here, but David Borley in particular could have been a senior England player imo, he was incredible.

The Football Ramble have a couple of episodes on that sort of thing, where I think it was Matt Taylor that said when he went down to League Two level a lot of the players were League One/Championship level talent that couldn't be arsed to put the work in.

EDIT: Here's the Bury messageboard talking about how it was a waste of talent.

https://www.gigglane.com/index.php?/topic/20057-david-borley/

https://www.gigglane.com/index.php?/topic/29587-rare-yts-talent-from-down-the-years/

Guest firetotheworks

Aye that would piss me off immensely. What's quite weird is that you hear quite a few pros who weren't massively standout at school. My mate played with David Davis who plays for Blues now and said he was nothing special at school, but all he did was play football. On a side note I played against a lad who was pro for blues for a bit and he was literally untouchable, the level they can play at is something else.

Tell me about it, I went to school with Jack Colback who's obviously a very successful footballer in the grand scheme of things, but he was absolutely nowhere near as good as David Borley (Bury), Mark Rassmussen (Burnley), Stuart Richardson (WBA), and a few others at my school who played for England early on. Seriously though, I must have talked about it a million times on here, but David Borley in particular could have been a senior England player imo, he was incredible.

The Football Ramble have a couple of episodes on that sort of thing, where I think it was Matt Taylor that said when he went down to League Two level a lot of the players were League One/Championship level talent that couldn't be arsed to put the work in.

EDIT: Here's the Bury messageboard talking about how it was a waste of talent.

https://www.gigglane.com/index.php?/topic/20057-david-borley/

https://www.gigglane.com/index.php?/topic/29587-rare-yts-talent-from-down-the-years/

That's crazy. I wonder what it is that makes the average players get to the next level, and the more talented sometimes drop away. I'd guess that the super talented ones like say Borley don't have the drive because it comes so easy to them? I don't know. Was Colback just obsessed with football and training at school?

I honestly don't really know how much he played tbh, I just remember playing/watching a few times and thinking he wasn't all that special compared to the other players at school that were with Newcastle or whoever.

My best mate knew a lad that was at the Newcastle academy at the same time as Peter Ramage and it's the same story there, he was released because he was too much of a hot head, but he said he couldn't believe it when Ramage (in his opinion one of the the worst players at the academy) ended up being the one that got in the first team and he realised that he maybe could have done more, but that brown nosing basically got you everywhere.