The other games today 2019/20

Greg

Ignoring the actual wording of the rule, and setting aside the difficulty of making a rule to suit, penalties should punish using your hands to stop a goal or gain a significant advantage to discourage that. Penalties are waaaaaaay too severe a punishment for balls pinballing off arms randomly to no benefit to anyone.

Blame the people who write the laws of the game tbh. They need to clarify the difference between real handball and false handball calls like that. The refs have little room for manoeuvre, they've got to give it and I bet the majority of them think it's bullshit too.

Yep. It may be difficult to write a rule that makes sense around intent, but even as a stopgap how about unless the handball prevents a clear goal it is an indirect free kick in the box, then just work out a proper handball law while that stops all these silly pens

After 3 games of 7 goals and 1 with 3, just as well Newcastle v Brighton are here to bring down that average.

The training ground atmosphere is creating this. The records for this season are going to be insane. Think there will be an awful lot of players that have deceptively good seasons.

Guest Cheesy Beans

Blame the people who write the laws of the game tbh. They need to clarify the difference between real handball and false handball calls like that. The refs have little room for manoeuvre, they've got to give it and I bet the majority of them think it's bullshit too.

That’s not true at all like - handball (for a defending team) is one of the clearest and easiest rules to interpret.

It clearly defines handball offence as needing to be deliberate. Unless a player’s hand/arm is moved into the ball (rather than the other way round), it’s never a penalty.

The attacking teams/goals disallowed is a load of bollocks mind.

That’s not true at all like - handball (for a defending team) is one of the clearest and easiest rules to interpret.

It clearly defines handball offence as needing to be deliberate. Unless a player’s hand/arm is moved into the ball (rather than the other way round), it’s never a penalty.

Yeah. I’ve always known it as ball to hand or hand to ball.

I thought it changed a year or so ago so any defending touch on the ball had to be a pen?  ???

Ignoring the actual wording of the rule, and setting aside the difficulty of making a rule to suit, penalties should punish using your hands to stop a goal or gain a significant advantage to discourage that. Penalties are waaaaaaay too severe a punishment for balls pinballing off arms randomly to no benefit to anyone.

I honestly think the indirect freekick is the only solution unless it's Suarez-style goalkeeping. As you said, getting a goal due to a random bounce in a sport where games regularly end 1-0 is just stupid. It's never going to happen though as Liverpool won Spurs in the CL final after a random bounce and no one said anything.

I honestly think the indirect freekick is the only solution unless it's Suarez-style goalkeeping. As you said, getting a goal due to a random bounce in a sport where games regularly end 1-0 is just stupid. It's never going to happen though as Liverpool won Spurs in the CL final after a random bounce and no one said anything.

Being saying for years that the rule is easily fixed.

Did they gain an advantage from the handball? Yes, then its a pen/freekick, removes any argument about intent or natural positions etc

Guest Cheesy Beans

I thought it changed a year or so ago so any defending touch on the ball had to be a pen?  ???

Having just re-read the IFAB rules... This is apparently the law in question:

touches the ball with their hand/arm when:

• the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger

• the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player

deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

Therefore now (because of VAR), if the ball ever touches your hand/arm and it’s even a cm away from your body, it’ll be a pen. Because it’s impossible not to make your body unnaturally bigger as soon as your arm moves away from it :lol:

As someone said, just kick the ball into someone’s hand, it’s an immediate pen unless they have their arm alongside their body.

At least it makes/keeps VAR relevant - the important thing.

Therefore now (because of VAR), if the ball ever touches your hand/arm and it’s even a cm away from your body, it’ll be a pen. Because it’s impossible not to make your body unnaturally bigger as soon as your arm moves away from it :lol:

As someone said, just kick the ball into someone’s hand, it’s an immediate pen unless they have their arm alongside their body.

That's what I thought originally :thup:

It's a farce like. Giving a team a free shot at goal from 12 yards (75% chance of a goal iirc) for incidental contact with a hand or an arm is ridiculous like. Completely disproportionate if it's accidental. The law needs changing. Again.

Guest Cheesy Beans

That's what I thought originally :thup:

It's a farce like. Giving a team a free shot at goal from 12 yards (75% chance of a goal iirc) for incidental contact with a hand or an arm is ridiculous like. Completely disproportionate if it's accidental. The law needs changing. Again.

:thup:

Made my fury worse now, wish I never looked.