Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Fenerbahce, on loan from Al-Ahli)

Disco

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

I'm pretty sure Howe would sell him if there was any genuine interest from somewhere. I wonder what sort of money it would take for us to let him go? I reckon around £25-30m.

What has Howe said or done that makes you ”pretty sure” he’d be happy to sell him?

15 minutes ago, madras said:

Can you explain what it means though ? I googled PFMs and it was nowt to do with football.

My interpretation was that he was accusing you of having same level of thought as 'proper football men' like Steve Bruce and Graeme Souness, and aren't enlightened enough to see the clarity and wisdom statistics offer. GSCE Sociology logic.

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

Not if you want the sale to go through. No is going to pay £50m for ASM.

Look at what we’ve been quoted for various attacking players. We’d have to really, really want rid to let him to go for that kind of price.

1 hour ago, alexf said:

I don't think that's right. I swear I'd seen stats where he is way out Infront as the best dribbler in the league. 

A quick Google gave me this...

"His completion stats make even better reading. Of his 225 dribbles, 139 of them have been successful" 4 May 2022

He's in the 99th percentile of wingers/forwards for being dispossessed. Also in the 99th percentile (top all in all I think) for successful dribbles.

He's obviously very good running with the ball but he needs to make better decisions.

14 minutes ago, TRon said:

Not if you want the sale to go through. No is going to pay £50m for ASM.

I reckon Chelsea might come close, maybe even a swap deal.

25 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

He's in the 99th percentile of wingers/forwards for being dispossessed. Also in the 99th percentile (top all in all I think) for successful dribbles.

He's obviously very good running with the ball but he needs to make better decisions.

I’d be interested what the criteria are for successful dribbles. Getting past players and looking flash is one thing but then doing nowt effective with the ball after makes it all a bit redundant.  Any bull mastiff in the world  can dribble all day long but I wouldnt put old Fido in a shirt and set him

off against Leicester City. 

Edited by Mahoneys Tache

34 minutes ago, Bompeter said:

What has Howe said or done that makes you ”pretty sure” he’d be happy to sell him?

That's just my opinion, I think Howe being a good manager likes players who are a bit more intelligent and release the ball earlier rather than take on 2 players then lose the ball trying to beat the 3rd. He's not part of the French international set up because of those failings as well. He's got loads of talent but he wastes it a lot of the time.

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

That's just my opinion, I think Howe being a good manager likes players who are a bit more intelligent and release the ball earlier rather than take on 2 players then lose the ball trying to beat the 3rd. He's not part of the French international set up because of those failings as well. He's got loads of talent but he wastes it a lot of the time.

i think it would be a no brainier if someone threw stupid money at us for him and there was a more effective player waiting in the wings. 

29 minutes ago, Ben said:

I reckon Chelsea might come close, maybe even a swap deal.

If the rumours of Chelsea being interested actually turn out to be true....I'll be very surprised.

Find it a bit odd how keen some are to see him offloaded. Let’s see how he does under a full season under EH. Some of you might have second thoughts. 5 subs this season so if nothing else he could change a game. Flair wingers will always be infuriating at times but it’s great when someone gets you out your seat also.

51 minutes ago, 80 said:

My interpretation was that he was accusing you of having same level of thought as 'proper football men' like Steve Bruce and Graeme Souness, and aren't enlightened enough to see the clarity and wisdom statistics offer. GSCE Sociology logic.

Ha ! Quite the opposite really. I think stats like Assists  can be very misleading as, as far as I'm aware a miss hit shot or pass can count as an assist, Dan Burn got an assist for his header for Bruno at Southampton, had Bruno not had that bit of genius then no assist for Dan even though in both scenarios his contribution is exactly the same. Key passes is a better measure but not on its own.

The depths of metrics used now in player data is amazing and adds so much for managers, coaches and scouts.

I just couldn't understand how anyone could arrive at the idea that Maxi playing better under whoever could be a myth based on such narrow based stats.

2 hours ago, TRon said:

Why do you always write about how you think Howe/ownership thinks, when it's fairly obvious it's how you want him/them to think? :lol:

4 hours ago, 80 said:

That's a bollocks thing to say in this instance. Not least because the Allardyces of the world manipulate and hide behind statistics all the while.

Eh? You've quite literally agreed with what I said wrt Allardyce

2 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

I explained what I thought you were saying in a later post. If I misunderstood, fair enough.

I don't think there is anything mystical about ASM and his future.

I'm sure Howe sees it clearly too. He understands how good ASM can be, I'm sure he also understands where the squad is at right now and the fact we can't afford to lose our best creative outlet (without a serious replacement).

So for the time being ASM is a key part of our squad and Howe will work him to the bone to try and get him doing all the things he wants him to do on the football pitch.

Time changes everything though. This season is not only key to ASMs future at NUFC but also his future in football. By this time next year, we will know whether he's the elite player he claims he is or whether he's another decent but flawed winger.

My instinct, and it's just my opinion, is that ASM won't like the workload that Howe puts on him and wont like the restraints he has on the pitch. In 12 months time, he will look for a move and won't get the move he wants.

Edited by STM

He has struggled with injuries and illness in recent seasons also. Aswell as no other tactics than go out and play under Bruce. 

It looks for the first time our squad are going into a season with the correct physical fitness needed since the Rafa days. 

I think we will see far more performances like the Everton game where everyone was praising him this year. However he's human like everyone else and also still learning and will still have games where people are pulling their hair out.

1 hour ago, gjohnson said:

Read the chain of posts again as I was in a rush at a time. Realise you were wanting to back up Madras, so apologies. Thought you were Dr Jinx to be honest!

14 minutes ago, alexf said:

He has struggled with injuries and illness in recent seasons also. Aswell as no other tactics than go out and play under Bruce. 

It looks for the first time our squad are going into a season with the correct physical fitness needed since the Rafa days. 

I think we will see far more performances like the Everton game where everyone was praising him this year. However he's human like everyone else and also still learning and will still have games where people are pulling their hair out.

He's never looked fully fit imo.  Maybe that's just me though.

1 hour ago, duo said:

He's never looked fully fit imo.  Maybe that's just me though.

It’s his build I think, he’s got that explosive power/pace but he runs out of steam pretty much in every full game at some point. Some athletes are just made that way and nothing they can do about it. Lactic acid builds up and they just start hobbling around. 

Like McGregor in the UFC, Diaz found him out while he was at the peak of his ability, had to train ridiculously hard to be able to just about make it through 5 rounds with him. Diaz on the other hand would be out doing an iron man competition a week or two later, yet he couldn’t do what McGregor is capable of early doors. Might be a shit analogy but ?‍♂️

I wonder if they are doing all those high end physical and blood tests at various stress points with him, he’s unique in the squad in that sense so it shouldn’t perhaps be a once size fits all approach where he’s concerned.

15 hours ago, Conjo said:

Why do you always write about how you think Howe/ownership thinks, when it's fairly obvious it's how you want him/them to think? :lol:

I just pick up on what's been written by other journalists, there tends to be a theme on what Howe wants from his players and generally there seems to be this idea that ASM doesn't really buy into Howe's methods 100%.

That could be wrong of course, maybe Howe loves it when he goes charging off on solo runs ignoring team mates until he's had a good crack at scoring a wonder goal himself. I don't want to pass myself off as some sort of sage who taps into Howe's deeper inner mindset, apologies if it comes across that way.

2 hours ago, TRon said:

maybe Howe loves it when he goes charging off on solo runs ignoring team mates until he's had a good crack at scoring a wonder goal himself.

Or maybe Howe realises that ASM is miles ahead of our other options on the wings and has world class ability to go past players and tries to mold him to be more effective.

15 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

It’s his build I think, he’s got that explosive power/pace but he runs out of steam pretty much in every full game at some point. Some athletes are just made that way and nothing they can do about it. Lactic acid builds up and they just start hobbling around. 

Like McGregor in the UFC, Diaz found him out while he was at the peak of his ability, had to train ridiculously hard to be able to just about make it through 5 rounds with him. Diaz on the other hand would be out doing an iron man competition a week or two later, yet he couldn’t do what McGregor is capable of early doors. Might be a shit analogy but ?‍♂️

I wonder if they are doing all those high end physical and blood tests at various stress points with him, he’s unique in the squad in that sense so it shouldn’t perhaps be a once size fits all approach where he’s concerned.

He looks fairly heavy. I wonder what would happen if he lost 5lb.