Non-NUFC games you've attended / are attending

Guest neesy111

19 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

I went to Pacific FC v Vancouver FC today in the opening weekend of the new Canadian Premier League Season. Pacific are Victoria's team (or perhaps could be seen more broadly as Vancouver Island's) and Vancouver FC are a brand new team from the city of Vancouver (separate to Vancouver White Caps).

It was good crack- a sell out at 4k. I've been once before. There was a bit more excitement this being a 'local' derby against a new team. Unusually for US/Canadian football there was a proportionally significant away section, and when Pacific scored the player made a full pelt beeline for the away fans to goad them, loved it :lol: Ended 1-0.

Was quite amused by the small pocket of Vancouver fans, with tifo displays and everything, wondering what they were doing on their weekends last season since this was literally their first ever match.

I was a little excited when they announced Vancouver as a team and their colours were supposed to be a sort of black & white, but their home shirt is more grey than anything.

Their away short is getting plaudits, but I think it’s absolutely rotten.

Anyway, Howay Forge FC.

55 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I was a little excited when they announced Vancouver as a team and their colours were supposed to be a sort of black & white, but their home shirt is more grey than anything.

Their away short is getting plaudits, but I think it’s absolutely rotten.

Anyway, Howay Forge FC.

They were wearing all black yesterday, and it seemed from the fans like their colours were black and red

1586764049_IMG-9846(1).thumb.jpg.cee4081682198054f1f99807ed0e8799.jpg

19 hours ago, AJ9 said:

That’s a cool bit of NUFC history, will get myself along one time. Just moved to Inverness last year - there’s actually the odd bit of NUFC history tied to different parts up here. Nice to know there’s some fellow NUFC fans round these parts!

There’s a lot of exiled folk from the North East up in these parts. Many like me are ex-forces and settled up here after enjoying postings up here and lots ans a result of working in Oil/Gas. There’s a good chunk of fellow folk originally from Bedlington come up here due to the RAF, there’s even another one lives in the same small distillery village I stay in, which is nuts considering there’s probably less than 100 folk here. #SmallWorld

Coventry v Reading for ground No 91 of the 92 for me this weekend gone. 2-1 Cov' to put them 5th. Coventry fans were sound and I wish them well after being through the mill over the years. Ground sharing with Northampton then Birmingham. Spoke about their animosity with the mackems and it was said more than once that Coventry aren't bothered by them but Sunderland hate them. Reading fans on the other hand went down in my estimation. Had the cheek to sing "Coventry's a shithole" then on the train from Coventry to Coventry Arena station were singing "Reading, taking over your town...again" (love will tear us apart tune). Reading man! A nothing town and a nothing club. Thought the city centre had quite a contrast of buildings. Some fairly bland and modern but also some Tudor like buildings you'd expect more in Stratford upon Avon or the likes. Had a look in the old cathedral, almost destroyed by the Germans during the war before I set about getting blitzed myself. Was a bit ropey at the Spurs game yesterday.

Edited by Scoreboard82

Just now, jack j said:

91 is some going Whats the 1 you haven't done yet?

Forest Green which seems to be in a village in the middle of nowhere and tricky to get to. The other thing is they've got new ground plans but I'm unsure of the time scale. Trying to avoid going twice. Relying on Notts Co coming up too or there'll be another added to the list. 

On 17/04/2023 at 09:49, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

There’s a lot of exiled folk from the North East up in these parts. Many like me are ex-forces and settled up here after enjoying postings up here and lots ans a result of working in Oil/Gas. There’s a good chunk of fellow folk originally from Bedlington come up here due to the RAF, there’s even another one lives in the same small distillery village I stay in, which is nuts considering there’s probably less than 100 folk here. #SmallWorld

My dad's the reverse - he's from Forres and ended up in Newcastle through the army. I went to Forres Mechanics and Elgin games when I was about 3, before my first Newcastle match. The black and white scarf my dad wears to the match is in fact an unbranded one he bought at Elgin (despite hating them as a Forres fan).

His uncle was Lossie manager.

Just realised it would come across as a bit random, without pointing out that I live in Moray, so not too far from where the Staggies play. In fact the Borough Brigs where Elgin City play has the old seats from the last time St James' was updated.

Remember that. - it was the black and white ones they used to have in the East Stand.

Edited by Superior Acuña

Went to PSV v Ajax yesterday. To say it was a bit heated would be an understatement! There's a new rule in Holland now where if fans throw objects onto the pitch the ref has to take the players off and if one of the players are directly hit by an object the match is stopped indefinitely. 

With PSV leading 2-0 for some reason one of their fans launched a pint glass onto the pitch and sure enough the ref took the players off for about 20 minutes before they returned to finish the game.

PSV won 3-0 in the end with Luuk De Jong (remember him?) scoring twice. Atmosphere inside and outside the stadium was terrific I have to say. Very loud, very passionate, very hostile, and a real bear pit for the Ajax players to deal with.

It kicked off half an hour earlier than NUFC v Spurs and as my Internet was struggling the lads behind took great delight in letting me know when the Newcastle goals were flying in which just added to my enjoyment!

• 1 month later...

Final game of the season for me yesterday. Portimonense 0-2 Arouca, seeing the latter qualify for Europe for only the second time in their history.

Average enough game, absolutely nobody stood out on either with former Fulham youngster Jerome Opoku probably being my man of the match. 

Weird atmosphere, didn’t appear to any engaged home support at all so all the noise bar the odd missed shot or good bit of  play came from the fifty or so away fans lead by a bloke with a megaphone who at one point was playing classical music off his phone through it. 

Assume they normally have a little ultra group but they weren’t there and there was also a group of about 50, largely, women that protesting about something outside which may or may not be related. Having read about it seems Todd Baldy wants to buy them so could be related to that, who knows.

URuCmp7V_t.jpeg M0MRY1On_t.jpeg D91yo6vS_t.jpeg WVzhsFGj_t.jpeg

Being Portugal saw way, way more people out celebrating Benfica winning the league than was at the game.

58 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

As brilliant as it must be watching matches on the continent regardless of the specifics, if only for a cultural tickbox, that looks and sounds depressing as fuck, @Disco :lol:

Aye, I’ve been to better like. Worse ways to pass a couple of hours though and the ground is only a 15 min walk from where we’re staying so it’d have been rude not too.

• 4 months later...

A satisfying strikethrough on the bucket list this week as I finally took in a match on the continent; specifically Toulouse vs LASK in the Europa League on Thursday. 

Was fairly unimpressed with the quality but not with the surroundings. Lovely stadium and a canny atmosphere, though it was unsurprisingly generated almost entirely by a several-thousand-strong Ultras section at one end. 

A great experience though and we were fortunate enough to be very close to the action, right behind the dugouts. Finished 1-0 to Toulouse and my assumption is that that's a big deal, as they haven't been in Europe since 2010. A very buzzing 30,000 spectators supported the theory.

The stadium is interestingly located in an island in the middle of the Aude River meaning there's only really a couple of routes towards and away from the ground, resulting in bottlenecks, but it wasn't a disaster. 

Great occasion, was thrilled to finally take something like this in. 

Screenshot_20231008_000235_Photos.thumb.jpg.74c72b1a146a444b2f83f2d12f1bf244.jpg

Screenshot_20231008_000522_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.78820ac900e47492e71fb4a5d5e0587f.jpg

Was at Barrow v Notts County today in League 2. First time at Holker Street. Was great being so close to the pitch. Low quality first half but improved second. Barrow missed a great chance to win it in stoppage time. 

On 14/10/2023 at 11:26, Paullow said:

Going to Carlisle vs Leyton Orient today. One of only 4 third tier matches not affected by international call ups.

Went to watch them play Derby County the other week. They looked really poor. I think it'll be touch and go whether they can stay up.

We're doing a double header next weekend. Borussia Monchengladbach v Heidenheim on the Saturday and PSV v Ajax on the Sunday.  Monchengladbach is a new ground/city for us so looking forward to that.

Edited by Wallsendmag

Sounds class WM, although the Dutch match possibly not as intriguing as it usually would be given the current state of Ajax and they are 11/2 at some places - should still be a cracking experience though.

I'm going to the Manchester derby on Sunday and can't wait.

And yeah, Carlisle are pretty poor unfortunately. Definitely lack a half decent striker who will get like 15+ goals. 11 goals in 14 games simply isn't good enough (albeit a lot better than Cheltenham). Still amazed they beat Bolton 1-3 the other day - my dad said it was the only one to ruin his bet that day [emoji38]

9 hours ago, Paullow said:

Sounds class WM, although the Dutch match possibly not as intriguing as it usually would be given the current state of Ajax and they are 11/2 at some places - should still be a cracking experience though.

I'm going to the Manchester derby on Sunday and can't wait.

We've got season tickets at PSV so even though we only get to 5/6 games a season and sell our tickets on for the rest we always make sure Ajax is one of them as it's always a feisty affair as there's no love lost!

PSV fans are in a frenzy over this as there is a chance to put Ajax bottom of the league by beating them. Volendam can go above them if they win and both matches kick off at the same time.

• 1 month later...

I went to the Emperor's Cup Final in Tokyo yesterday. The match itself was horrendous, 0-0 for 120 minutes then penalties, but there was great atmosphere in the ground. My first time attending a match in Japan and was certainly impressed by the experience, if not the quality of play. The stadium itself was beautiful, unfortunately there was a massive athletics track surrounding it, but that was always going to be the case given it was built for the Olympics. My wife preferred it to matches in Europe as it was very orderly and there were far less drunken fools kn and around the ground :lol:Congratulations to Kawasaki Frontale!

54 minutes ago, Segun Oluwaniyi said:

I went to the Emperor's Cup Final in Tokyo yesterday. The match itself was horrendous, 0-0 for 120 minutes then penalties, but there was great atmosphere in the ground. My first time attending a match in Japan and was certainly impressed by the experience, if not the quality of play. The stadium itself was beautiful, unfortunately there was a massive athletics track surrounding it, but that was always going to be the case given it was built for the Olympics. My wife preferred it to matches in Europe as it was very orderly and there were far less drunken fools kn and around the ground :lol:Congratulations to Kawasaki Frontale!

Sounds fantastic despite the match. Any pics?

I went to four games when I was in Japan in 2016. The atmosphere and quality of matchday experience was really good. Probably a spot on balance of being noisy and passionate, but also safe and comfortable.

Maybe I'll dig out some pics.

Edited by ponsaelius

• 3 weeks later...

Staying Sydney for a few weeks, naturally I had to make a pilgrimage up to Australian Newcastle. Went today and saw them beat Western United in an A-league game. Picked up a shirt. About 6k there in a 30k stadium. Very family friendly with a pocket of about 20 ultra lads in 'Terrace Novocastria'. Very weird hearing all the 'come on Newcastle' and that (not to mention the road signs for Jesmond and Wallsend). Saw one toon top in the crowd.

3 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

Staying Sydney for a few weeks, naturally I had to make a pilgrimage up to Australian Newcastle. Went today and saw them beat Western United in an A-league game. Picked up a shirt. About 6k there in a 30k stadium. Very family friendly with a pocket of about 20 ultra lads in 'Terrace Novocastria'. Very weird hearing all the 'come on Newcastle' and that (not to mention the road signs for Jesmond and Wallsend). Saw one toon top in the crowd.

Get yourself down to Western Sydney Wanderers!