Success at what cost?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest neesy111

The “dress up” as Arabs is so :facepalm:

Its no more cringey than fans dressing up as Mr Blobby , or sticking sombreros on their heads in past years . Get over it

And how many fans have done that over the last 10 years?  I suspect none or a handful.

Guest The Little Waster

It’s “humour” for knuckle-dragging morons.

Ah there we go , get the class hatred out of your system

Its no more cringey than fans dressing up as Mr Blobby , or sticking sombreros on their heads in past years . Get over it

Or big fat bastards stripping half naked and tarnishing the reputation of the region.

Got to say, I’m becoming increasingly not okay with this. I mean I’ve always thought of our club as meaning a bit more than what happens on field. If this goes through it completely puts that thought to bed. I mean we could protest this lot, but vast swathes of our fanbase didn’t bother protesting Ashley. The idea of galvanising a weary and tired fanbase, against a regime, that promises football beyond our wildest dreams is completely impossible. What happens if we’re successful, and convince this lot to sell, do we just keep being relayed from owner to owner?

Guest The Little Waster

Or big fat bastards stripping half naked and tarnishing the reputation of the region.

Jesus H Christ you lot sound like Mary Whitehouse in her prime ... curtain twitching holier than thou humourless etc

Guest The Little Waster

Got to say, I’m becoming increasingly not okay with this. I mean I’ve always thought of our club as meaning a bit more than what happens on field. If this goes through it completely puts that thought to bed. I mean we could protest this lot, but vast swathes of our fanbase didn’t bother protesting Ashley. The idea of galvanising a weary and tired fanbase, against a regime, that promises football beyond our wildest dreams is completely impossible. What happens if we’re successful, and convince this lot to sell, do we just keep being relayed from owner to owner?

You have the right to speak out against the Saudi regime and not attend NUFC matches anymore - thats the extent of your power to change things unfortunately

You have the right to speak out against the Saudi regime and not attend NUFC matches anymore - thats the extent of your power to change things unfortunately

No it isnt. He could lobby the government, lobby the PL around the morals of foreign ownership and any number of other things. Whether he chooses to do that is entirely up to him.

It's ok to dislike the Saudi government and also want your club to do well.

Jesus H Christ you lot sound like Mary Whitehouse in her prime ... curtain twitching holier than thou humourless etc

Ooh look who's being serious now.

No it isnt. He could lobby the government, lobby the PL around the morals of foreign ownership and any number of other things. Whether he chooses to do that is entirely up to him.

This is the crux of it. We can do nothing, and shouldn't want to, to affect change in the lives of the Saudi people. All we can do is petition our own government to stop assisting. Hard to do that when you're celebrating in a top that advertises their business interests.

:lol: Sounds about right, probably the 19th home UEFA Cup tie of that season in mid-September, against some Israeli pig farmers, back when European football had become a bit of a regular chore rather than the impossible dream. Never missed a home game in any competition for many years, if you'd told me back then that I'd chuck it in within ten years I'd have said you must be off your fucking nut.

September 2014 was the last time I set foot in there, the Pardew protest game against Hull, having sacked off the season ticket the previous May. I can't believe it's been that long actually, I'd have guessed 2015 or 2016, Jesus.

I honestly don't know the answer tbh Yorkie, partly because the protective new owners make me uncomfortable and partly because at this point it feels a bit like a girl I was head over heels for has walked back into my life after ten years and said she wants me back but... I'm kinda over it?

A lot of me feels like Alan Shearer himself could be putting all the money up and I'd still be shrugging my shoulders. Six years is a long time not to give a toss about something then turn the tap on.

Basically described the way I feel.  Moved away from Newcastle in 2013, which made it easier to lose touch with the club.  Think I've only been to two games since then.

Really similar tbh although it's more recently my interest has properly waned.  Think it was around the January in the Championship last time when Rafa started getting fucked around when I realised I knew how it ended and it was utterly pointless watching it unfold. 

I partly stopped going to less away games due to that, partly due to them being a challenging experience for a recovering alcoholic :lol: And noticed I was just half watching games on telly and streams.  Then this season I was back to the Pardew bullshit - feeling absolutely nowt when we scored and not really being certain that I even wanted us to win.  A few likeable players sort of holding my interest but even that wasn't the same fun it was.

So this is happening now and I'm not that arsed, not yet anyway.  If/when we start making strides towards behaving like a proper football club that wants to improve itself year on year then I should feel the interest tingling again, but like Wullie says once the tap is switched off it's not always as simple as switching it back on again.

This is the crux of it. We can do nothing, and shouldn't want to, to affect change in the lives of the Saudi people. All we can do is petition our own government to stop assisting. Hard to do that when you're celebrating in a top that advertises their business interests.

Others have protested for years about our relationship with Saudi Arabia. It's a key partner in the middle east, I suspect that no government would give that up for strategic reasons.

Most western governments will look to change Saudi from outside, rather than sanctions or military threat. To an extent it is working, SA are moving forward albeit slowly.

Like I say I'd like to learn more.

Guest The Little Waster

Lobby the government ? Lol ! The British government ? The one currently selling arms to the Saudi regime as it has done since its ( British inspired ) inception ?

Have a word with yourself ...

Lobby the government ? Lol ! The British government ? The one currently selling arms to the Saudi regime as it has done since its ( British inspired ) inception ?

Protesting by it's very nature is futile. There are people who have spent their whole life protesting issues close to their heart without ever making a dent.

You dont do it because it's easy, you do it if have strong beliefs.

You might be happy with framing it as a class trait, but I can assure you other people within the same class aren't.

Guest The Little Waster

Protesting by it's very nature is futile. There are people who have spent their whole life protesting issues close to their heart without ever making a dent.

Make your  mind up ffs

Guest The Little Waster

You might be happy with framing it as a class trait, but I can assure you other people within the same class aren't.

You know very well who he was aiming that statement at ...

Make your  mind up ffs

Eh?

Guest The Little Waster

Make your  mind up ffs

Eh?

Exhibit A . No it isnt. He could lobby the government, lobby the PL around the morals of foreign ownership and any number of other things.

Exhibit B . Protesting by it's very nature is futile. There are people who have spent their whole life protesting issues close to their heart without ever making a dent.

Shall i walk you through it again ?

You know very well who he was aiming that statement at ...

Yeah, squarely at the people doing it. If it was solely a class issue I'd be agreeing with you but it's not, you've just chosen to interpret it that way or think you speak on behalf of the working class.

Make your  mind up ffs

Eh?

Exhibit A . No it isnt. He could lobby the government, lobby the PL around the morals of foreign ownership and any number of other things.

Exhibit B . Protesting by it's very nature is futile. There are people who have spent their whole life protesting issues close to their heart without ever making a dent.

You are genuinely an idiot arent you.  :lol:

Protesting is something people can do because they feel passionate about something.

It's also something which many find futile because of it's very nature (trying to change the mind of someone set on a certain course of action).

The decision on whether to protest shouldn't be based on how likely it is you are to succeed but whether you feel passionate enough in the first place.

Guest The Little Waster

Make your  mind up ffs

Eh?

Protesting is something people can do because they feel passionate about something.

It's also something which many find futile because of it's very nature (trying to change the mind of someone set on a certain course of action).

The decision on whether to protest shouldn't be based on how likely it is you are to succeed but whether you feel passionate enough in the first place.

Lol im not the one holding two diametrically opposed opinions

Make your  mind up ffs

Eh?

Lol im not the one holding two diametrically opposed opinions

No, you are the one holding two diametrically opposed brain cells.