Success at what cost?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Been asked this from a couple of mates supporting other teams, and I echo the point Greg made to whomever, that's it's such an unfair responsibility to put on fans. Of any club. Obviously ideally we'd want to be owner by a supporters group or co-op, or even some local honest fucking businessman who'd made a wedge, but who is anyone kidding suggesting the fans could even begin to ask for anything like that? £300m+. What's the biggest company in Newcastle? Sage? Bet you even the founder or whoever profits the most from Sage would get no where near.

It's rigged, we don't get to choose. Legally the club is fucking his. He slaps a price on it and it's whoever can meet that price and he accepts, that's it. We didn't create this. We didn't ask for this. Are you asking if we think its absurd? Of course it's fucking absurd. Are you going to implement anything we'd like? Are you fuck. We have 1 wish and that's for a team we are proud to support. The rigged financial structure that allows this thing to happen and us to be nothing but servile to it has nothing to do with us.

Yeah, great post that Tiresias. Branko, too. Between that and two or three other posts, I think the situation has been summed up brilliantly on here over the last couple of days.

Tiresias :thup:

How long do you reckon it's going to take you, Wullie? When was the last time you were at SJP? Can remember nattering to you in MSN years ago, maybe Roeder time and you were cursing that you had to go to the match tonight; I asked why you were bothering and you said you had to...

I'm pleased for myself and I'm pleased for thousands of others who turned their back and have ensured the pain of these years. I dearly hope the circumstances are as such that SJP can welcome back that fan; the one who sacrificed this huge part of their life because of principle or disinterest.

:lol: Sounds about right, probably the 19th home UEFA Cup tie of that season in mid-September, against some Israeli pig farmers, back when European football had become a bit of a regular chore rather than the impossible dream. Never missed a home game in any competition for many years, if you'd told me back then that I'd chuck it in within ten years I'd have said you must be off your fucking nut.

September 2014 was the last time I set foot in there, the Pardew protest game against Hull, having sacked off the season ticket the previous May. I can't believe it's been that long actually, I'd have guessed 2015 or 2016, Jesus.

I honestly don't know the answer tbh Yorkie, partly because the protective new owners make me uncomfortable and partly because at this point it feels a bit like a girl I was head over heels for has walked back into my life after ten years and said she wants me back but... I'm kinda over it?

A lot of me feels like Alan Shearer himself could be putting all the money up and I'd still be shrugging my shoulders. Six years is a long time not to give a toss about something then turn the tap on.

:lol: Sounds about right, probably the 19th home UEFA Cup tie of that season in mid-September, against some Israeli pig farmers, back when European football had become a bit of a regular chore rather than the impossible dream. Never missed a home game in any competition for many years, if you'd told me back then that I'd chuck it in within ten years I'd have said you must be off your fucking nut.

September 2014 was the last time I set foot in there, the Pardew protest game against Hull, having sacked off the season ticket the previous May. I can't believe it's been that long actually, I'd have guessed 2015 or 2016, Jesus.

I honestly don't know the answer tbh Yorkie, partly because the protective new owners make me uncomfortable and partly because at this point it feels a bit like a girl I was head over heels for has walked back into my life after ten years and said she wants me back but... I'm kinda over it?

A lot of me feels like Alan Shearer himself could be putting all the money up and I'd still be shrugging my shoulders. Six years is a long time not to give a toss about something then turn the tap on.

Basically described the way I feel.  Moved away from Newcastle in 2013, which made it easier to lose touch with the club.  Think I've only been to two games since then.

I get it. Hopefully the door is at least slightly ajar. :thup: It only took Rafa for me to open it fully wide again for most of those three years, I'd be lying if i said I wasn't thinking already about the prospect of match tickets. I'm prepared to effectively ignore the source of salvation if the football club ends up being run in the right way.

"Don't hate the playa, hate the game."

Football as an institution is horrible. No question. I hate FIFA and the FA, but this is not Newcastle's fault or its supporters. I welcome protests against the Saudi government and kicking out these types of owners from football. So as soon as they are disentangled from FIFA, Man City, PSG, Barcelona, etc. I will be more than happy to support getting rid of them as NUFC owners.

You quit the same summer as me. I’ve barely posted regularly on here since then, a positive correlation with my loss of love for all things NUFC. I’ve craved this day for so long, it almost doesn’t feel real.

I can’t say I’m overjoyed with the Saudi backing - but who else would there have been? I think a Reuben ticket alongside Staveley would have been much preferred. But I’m sure she would have tried that first and gotten nowhere.

However, saying all of that. I’ve waited far too long and lived with far too much hate for everything (and I mean everything) associated with NUFC to not try and enjoy this now. If I can’t, it really is game over supporting the club for me. It hasn’t been easy, but this week has shown me I do still care, and I can’t really say how I’ll feel until I see that first goal go in - I honesty don’t think I’ve properly celebrated a goal since 2013. It’s madness to think that something that encapsulated my whole life before then has meant so little to me in the last 5 or 6 years.

From a purely selfish perspective, I just want that passion back in my life.

The night before this news came through, I was lying in bed struggling to sleep and I randomly started remembering the 1998 FA Cup Final and how much winning that would have meant to me, to the city, and how many fuckin trophies have Arsenal won since that? I had to get up and check - 6 FA cups and 2 league titles. Just let us have one. And here I am, I was 8 then, and I'm now 30 and I don't think I'll ever be with my dad and see Newcastle win something, like I always thought was inevitably soon back then.

When I think about things like that, I'm so tempted to throw myself into this without reservation. Ultimately I think I'm in a similar place to Tiresias and others.

been gone since 2013',i'll be so glad to see the back end of ashley,and that sports direct crap at st.james.and to be able to enjoy newcastle football again,can't even put it in words ,tbf. the guilt will come later,  :(  Inferior Acuña  i know that feeling .

Guest neesy111

Last game was December 2017 and don't think I'll be going back despite this takeover for various reasons.

Great thread - fantastic posts from Deuce and Tiresias.

An additional irredeemable wrinkle in all this for me, was the behaviour of the not insignificant fanbase which actively alienated those involved in the Pardew Out and Ashley Out campaigns.

Been asked this from a couple of mates supporting other teams, and I echo the point Greg made to whomever, that's it's such an unfair responsibility to put on fans. Of any club. Obviously ideally we'd want to be owner by a supporters group or co-op, or even some local honest fucking businessman who'd made a wedge, but who is anyone kidding suggesting the fans could even begin to ask for anything like that? £300m+. What's the biggest company in Newcastle? Sage? Bet you even the founder or whoever profits the most from Sage would get no where near.

It's rigged, we don't get to choose. Legally the club is fucking his. He slaps a price on it and it's whoever can meet that price and he accepts, that's it. We didn't create this. We didn't ask for this. Are you asking if we think its absurd? Of course it's fucking absurd. Are you going to implement anything we'd like? Are you fuck. We have 1 wish and that's for a team we are proud to support. The rigged financial structure that allows this thing to happen and us to be nothing but servile to it has nothing to do with us.

:thup:

Guest neesy111

The only thing that would make me question this entire deal depends on how many wankers will end up dressing up as rich arabs at home games for the bantz.

I think this will quite high with our lot.

Guest The Little Waster

The only thing that would make me question this entire deal depends on how many wankers will end up dressing up as rich arabs at home games for the bantz.

So what if they do ? When did having a sense of humour become something to be sneered at ?

So what if they do ? When did having a sense of humour become something to be sneered at ?

wat

Guest The Little Waster

The only thing that would make me question this entire deal depends on how many w*****s will end up dressing up as rich arabs at home games for the bantz.

Humour is usually funny. Not “lol I’m an Arab lol”

If its funny to them why does that bother you ?

Guest The Little Waster

The “dress up” as Arabs is so :facepalm:

Its no more cringey than fans dressing up as Mr Blobby , or sticking sombreros on their heads in past years . Get over it