Coronavirus in football

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

Absolutely ludicrous to even consider finishing the season, surprised Angela sanctioned it in Germany.

The aversion to binning it off and starting again in September is bizarre.

Was reading an article on the Bundesliga, one of the major reasons why they need to complete the season is in order to get the final payment from the TV rights - if they don’t get this, then a number of German clubs will go insolvent

Don’t know where the PL is up to with payments? Think they have their final instalment?

The PL I believe have to pay TV mopney back to the sponsors , hence the panic over where we are with when and it should be finnished

So kind of similar to Germany then - this is going to be a nightmare for the respective boards

Also I believe TV companies don’t want to remove Promotion/relegation from the equation which is understandable as otherwise what is the point playing them at all.

Guest neesy111

No money has nothing to do it but the point being if one group can manage it why shouldn't a footballer be able to do the same?

But your asking them to isolate for how long?

What does the money they earn have to do with it? Because they're millionaires then their mental health is fine and they can sacrifice not seeing their friends and families until a vaccine is found?

Footballers aren't key workers either. Really ignorant post

I suppose if they are rich enough they don't really need to worry about the future of the game, they can put themselves first. But ultimately down the line it will affect future incomes for footballers in general. If the season is ended and clubs lose the tv money, they will have to make cuts to survive going on from this.

What does the money they earn have to do with it? Because they're millionaires then their mental health is fine and they can sacrifice not seeing their friends and families until a vaccine is found?

Footballers aren't key workers either. Really ignorant post

I think the point he’s making is other industries are doing it to help save others. Why not footballers who won’t either cut, defer (or both) their wages do it to save their football clubs/employers.

If they agreed a large cut/deferral they would help end the vicious circle of playing now versus safety now.

It does sadly seem the player as per usual want their cake and eat whilst hiding behind their agents. Certainly in the top flight for sure.

Haven't the PFA told them not to take a wage cut?

The PFA that none of them pay subs towards? Yes selfishly. They can only advise though. Nothing stopping them doing it themselves.

Why are you comparing key worker NHS staff to footballers?

And if money has nothing to do with it, why mention they're millionaires?

Outside of NHS staff many others have delivered services  and the money comment was a cheap shot to be fair. Footballers are not key workers but what I suggested is the only safe way to restart the league.

If players dont want to make those sacrifices then fine, the league doesnt restart, clubs go bust, their contracts get terminated, and they don't play football for 18 months.

Even health workers can wear PPE to protect themselves. It's not really possible when wrestling in the box before a corner. Cricket, I can see that being restarted without too much danger to the players, football is much more difficult, rugby forget it.

"I suppose if they are rich enough they don't really need to worry about the future of the game, they can put themselves first"

What does that even mean?

It means what it sounds like. If a footballer is worth millions, even if there is much less money around after this, his future is secure. He can look after his own family first even if he never plays again. He doesn't have to take risks someone who isn't a millionaire would.

I don't think there would be many footballers who would sacrifice not seeing any family or friends for 18 months. They're human beings not robots

Correct. So the question they’ve got to ask themselves is what sacrifice should/could they make as human beings rather than as robots.

As harsh as it sounds, just pretend it's a regular injury, play someone else and get on with it. Otherwise we'll be waiting many many months until every footballer is fine at the same time and ready to go.

As harsh as it sounds, just pretend it's a regular injury, play someone else and get on with it. Otherwise we'll be waiting many many months until every footballer is fine at the same time and ready to go.

Kind of difficult when it’s a highly infectious virus 

Basically until there is a vaccine ready for use I can't see how football in this country can start without the major sacrifices that have been mentioned here. If they don't make any sacrifices then who knows what state football will be in by the time a vaccine is ready if it ever is.

"I suppose if they are rich enough they don't really need to worry about the future of the game, they can put themselves first"

What does that even mean?

It means what it sounds like. If a footballer is worth millions, even if there is much less money around after this, his future is secure. He can look after his own family first even if he never plays again. He doesn't have to take risks someone who isn't a millionaire would.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Are you saying because they're rich they should risk playing football?

But other individual injuries don’t affect other players like the virus does as it has in Dresden.

Even health workers can wear PPE to protect themselves. It's not really possible when wrestling in the box before a corner. Cricket, I can see that being restarted without too much danger to the players, football is much more difficult, rugby forget it.

On Sky they were discussing with Joe Root whether slip cordons and wicket keepers standing up to the stumps would have to be stopped for a little while

But other individual injuries don’t affect other players like the virus does as it has in Dresden.

As in, treat the player as needed. In this case it'd be to isolate them and keep testing team mates, as planned.

So everyone trains together, then one player tests positive. What do you do? Have your entire squad self-isolate and play the kids instead? Or be wreckless, play the game minus your infected player knowing there's a risk other squad members might have it but aren't showing symptoms. Then it's passed on to members of the opposing team, referees and staff.