Coronavirus in football

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

Still don't really get the impetus to cancel the season. We're going to be able to play football eventually. To me makes more far more sense then to make sure we finish the season we're already 3/4 through, than getting on with the next season which noone has invested time into.

Doesn't need to be that long, a couple of months while the rate of infection reduces and a decision can be made to remove the requirement.

A couple of months with no friends or family is a long time. Just ask many people living alone 6 weeks into lockdown in this country

As harsh as it sounds, just pretend it's a regular injury, play someone else and get on with it. Otherwise we'll be waiting many many months until every footballer is fine at the same time and ready to go.

So everyone trains together, then one player tests positive. What do you do? Have your entire squad self-isolate and play the kids instead? Or be wreckless, play the game minus your infected player knowing there's a risk other squad members might have it but aren't showing symptoms. Then it's passed on to members of the opposing team, referees and staff.

Sounds like they'll be testing players 2 or 3 times per week though.

Still don't really get the impetus to cancel the season. We're going to be able to play football eventually. To me makes more far more sense then to make sure we finish the season we're already 3/4 through, than getting on with the next season which noone has invested time into.

That was my feeling initially. But if you do that you’re probably going going to have to cancel 20/21 season altogether. Then the whole financial situation gets ridiculous.

"I suppose if they are rich enough they don't really need to worry about the future of the game, they can put themselves first"

What does that even mean?

It means what it sounds like. If a footballer is worth millions, even if there is much less money around after this, his future is secure. He can look after his own family first even if he never plays again. He doesn't have to take risks someone who isn't a millionaire would.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Because they're rich they should play football?

In short I’m saying they can afford not to play football but can’t expect in not playing to expect to be paid their full salary.

Everyone is in this mess together so as long as they come out of it safe and well with a roof over their heads then it will be a success. Some groups of people in society are in a better position to do that than most. They are in that group. You said they are humans not robots and I agree and that’s what they are being asked to be in this situation... human.

Guest neesy111

"I suppose if they are rich enough they don't really need to worry about the future of the game, they can put themselves first"

It means what it sounds like. If a footballer is worth millions, even if there is much less money around after this, his future is secure. He can look after his own family first even if he never plays again. He doesn't have to take risks someone who isn't a millionaire would.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Because they're rich they should play football?

In short I’m saying they can afford not to play football but can’t expect in not playing to expect to be paid their full salary.

Everyone is in this mess together so as long as they come out of it safe and well with a roof over their heads then it will be a success. Some groups of people in society are in a better position to do that than most. They are in that group. You said they are humans not robots and I agree and that’s what they are being asked to be in this situation... human.

:thup:

It's ridiculous that many teams still haven't taken pay cuts at the top of the game.

I've not said anything about their salary other than they're getting conflicting advice from different orgainsations. I'm discussing why footballers should be asked to not see family or friends for an unlimited amount of months until a vaccine is found.

I think people think that because someone is rich they don't suffer mental health problems like the rest of us

I've not said anything about their salary other than they're getting conflicting advice from different orgainsations. I'm discussing why footballers should be asked to not see family or friends for an unlimited amount of months until a vaccine is found.

I think people think that because someone is rich they don't suffer mental health problems like the rest of us

Yes but in this scenario they can control wether they want those mental health problems you fear would be brought on by not seeing their friends and family.

Simply don’t play and collect a living wage if needed and agree if required to play when it’s safe to play again with a negotiated contract length amendment to tie in with the eventual end of the season.

I agree the PFA have not given them the best of advice but like pointed out they are a joke organisation but again that reflects what’s been the attitudes of the players for far to long post Bosman.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Are you saying because they're rich they should risk playing football?

Don't know how you got that from what I said. I'm saying the opposite, they are rich enough so they don't have to risk playing football. Other footballers aren't in that position, in fact most of society isn't.

Because it had nothing to do with what I was saying? I'm not the one who has brought up money in this conversation

You did. You said money has nothing to do with mental health (which they will suffer from not seeing their family). We’ve explained to you that in this scenario because of the money they players don’t have to put themselves in that position. They just can’t expect to be continued to be paid as normal whilst not playing and not risking their mental health and whilst spending time with their families instead of being at work.

No? :lol:

I don't think my point of  it being unfair to ask all footballers to be asked to spend a year or longer away from their family and friends was going to bring out a completley different debate

You've brought me into a debate which I didn't get into and you admitted that in one of your posts before you edited it to start the debate again :lol:

I admitted to bringing myself into the debate. The reason I didn’t post it was I re-read what I was replying to and you still weren’t/aren’t getting it.

I will leave you and TRon[/member] to debate. I think I’ve made my point very clear regarding what footballers could do for themselves to avoid any mental health issues or necessity to leave their families.

Guest neesy111

I don't think my point of  it being unfair to ask all footballers to be asked to spend a year or longer away from their family and friends was going to bring out a completley different debate

Well, no one said it would be a year long for starters.

I haven't really seen much about footballers being asked to spend a year or longer away from friends or family tbh. Is that actually the case?

You've brought me into a debate which I didn't get into and you admitted that in one of your posts before you edited it to start the debate again :lol:

I admitted to bringing myself into the debate. The reason I didn’t post it was I re-read what I was replying to and you still weren’t/aren’t getting it.

I will leave you and TRon[/member] to debate. I think I’ve made my point very clear regarding what footballers could do for themselves to avoid any mental health issues or necessity to leave their families.

Again, I've not said that they shouldn't take a wage cut, I've not once got into that debate, that's a debate yourself and others have brought up. I'm simply saying it's not as easy as saying footballers can just not see their family and friends for over a year

I haven't really seen much about footballers being asked to spend a year or longer away from friends or family tbh. Is that actually the case?

It was one of the measures SAK suggested which I questioned

It brought out the answer that it was fair. We’ve explained to you why they don’t have to make that decision if asked it. We’ve also explained the reason why they are being asked. The link to both is their salaries hence how money has been brought into it.

(Ever get the feeling you wished you’d never bothered :lol: )

So it's just a suggestion from a poster rather than something which is being proposed by football officials?

Yes, something I suggested as a measure to allow football to restart.