NUFC : Next Manager (Bruce is here forever)

Guest The Little Waster

Nufc Next Manager : Poch or Rafa ?  

343 members have voted

1. 1. Nufc Next Manager : Poch or Rafa ?

• Pochettino
    • Rafa

Didn’t Pochettino lose the Spurs players support prior to being sacked? And he took them from

Challenging for 4th and above, down to about 14th?

Just as well Liverpool didn't have this short term a view when they appointed Klopp. He'd spent most of his last season at Dortmund fighting the drop. Managers come to the end with one club sometimes, it happens. Pochettino is still on the up as a coach, with the best will in the world I don't think we can say the same about Benitez.

But Klopp was already an established multiple times winning manager? What has Poch achieved?

Didn’t Pochettino lose the Spurs players support prior to being sacked? And he took them from

Challenging for 4th and above, down to about 14th?

Just as well Liverpool didn't have this short term a view when they appointed Klopp. He'd spent most of his last season at Dortmund fighting the drop. Managers come to the end with one club sometimes, it happens. Pochettino is still on the up as a coach, with the best will in the world I don't think we can say the same about Benitez.

:thup:

Remember they had hardly spent any money the 18 months before he left, he wanted a squad rebuild and didn't get it.

Didn’t he buy Ndombele for 63m, Sessegnon for 25, etc etc?

He did only have a couple of months to work with those new signings. Ndombele looked quite good in those first few games iirc. Wouldn't be the first player to fall out with Mourinho

Do you think that was the only reason he wasnt able to close out a cup win throughout all his time at Spurs? If not, then what was the reason?

I just seriously don’t get the Pochettino love in. He’s spent big, fallen out with his players, won nothing, got to CL final extremely luckily, and left the Spurs team stagnating and in disarray with no replacement for Kane when injured. I’m not saying I dislike the guy, and can see his qualities, but I don’t get why he’s rated quite so highly by some in here.

He did only have a couple of months to work with those new signings. Ndombele looked quite good in those first few games iirc. Wouldn't be the first player to fall out with Mourinho

Do you think that was the only reason he wasnt able to close out a cup win throughout all his time at Spurs? If not, then what was the reason?

Cups aren't important to club chairmen. See how many of the recent FA Cup winners have lost their jobs soon afterwards.

I just seriously don’t get the Pochettino love in. He’s spent big, fallen out with his players, won nothing, got to CL final extremely luckily, and left the Spurs team stagnating and in disarray with no replacement for Kane when injured. I’m not saying I dislike the guy, and can see his qualities, but I don’t get why he’s rated quite so highly by some in here.

This. Except I am saying I dislike him.

His miserable chubby chopped face just puts me off. He looks a right whinge bag. Miserable bastards have never done well up here. Rafa's a charmer and he's lush. He's a bit iffy in the transfer market but it'll make it all the more fun when we sign Robbie Keane for 140 million euro beans.

Cups aren't important to club chairmen. See how many of the recent FA Cup winners have lost their jobs soon afterwards.

Then why did he lose his job? CL final and CL qualification achieved. Replaced by serial cup winner Mourihno.

Surely you're not saying its CL win / PL title or bust?  That doesnt add up.

Then why did he lose his job? CL final and CL qualification achieved. Replaced by serial cup winner Mourihno.

He got sacked because of league form at the start of this season, nothing to do with not winning a cup. If he won a cup the talk would just turn to "why has he not won the league" as it did with Wenger

Pochettino came out and said that Ndombele (their record signing for 63m) would take two years to get up to speed in the Premier League. Hardly a reassuring comment after spending that fee. He got sacked because he lost the dressing room and the players stopped performing for him.

Poch lost that spurs dressing room when one of his players started shagging another players wife.

How does that lose him the dressing room unless he hasn’t got the man management skills to deal with it? Mourinho had the same thing and peddled Bridge ASAP, and then won countless trophies.

He got sacked because of league form at the start of this season, nothing to do with not winning a cup. If he won a cup the talk would just turn to "why has he not won the league" as it did with Wenger

Mini slump cost him his job? I'm not sure I see the same logic as you here.

5 years at the club (with admittedly relatively low investment), 4th place finish and a CL final the previous year but it was the slump in form that cost him his job not the objective lack of trophies.

Not looked at the stats but take away their ECL run last season their league form was on a big dip last few months of season and continued into this one.

I don’t like lumping all the blame on a manager. Always a too simplistic way of thinking. He knew he needed to re-gen the squad as his top players wanted out as they wanted above the clubs wage ceiling. Starting Kane in the ECL final was daft and wouldn’t of went down well. Spurs in general are run well but zero transfers whilst building the stadium has come back to bite them in the short/medium term. They should’ve rode it out and stuck with Poch. Maybe that was the plan until they found out his people were talking to Man Utd.

I like Poch a lot. Like Rafa more though.

I don't even like Poch that much, would prefer Nagelsmann. The cup thing is just irrelevant though, everybody laughed at Wenger for not winning anything for years, then he won 3 FA Cups in 4 years and they still laughed at him for not winning the PL

Pochettino played some great stuff at first but bottled every big game possible, blew securing second place in 2016 and went backwards from then on. Spurs form fell off the edge of a cliff towards the end of Poch's time, a lot less pressing & Dele's form in particular.