Callum Wilson set to miss the first 3–5 games of the season due to back issue (Gazette)

Strawberry

His latest injury and the fact PSR has restricted recruitment means we’ve clearly decided to focus on CB, RW and then being in the development striker rather than moving Wilson on and spending a wedge on a replacement. I guess they’ll just hope they can get what they can in terms of goals and accept he’s going to be missing for large parts of the season. Definitely his last season for us though. (Maybe a departure in January if we were able to replace?)

Edited by ExiledGeordie

Is his contract up at end of season or 2 more years left?

He won’t like being second or even third fiddle this season so I’m expecting him to be on it when he does get minutes on the pitch.

1 minute ago, Dr Jinx said:

He won’t like being second or even third fiddle this season so I’m expecting him to be on it when he does get minutes on the pitch.

End of season I think (hope).

14 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

His latest injury and the fact PSR has restricted recruitment means we’ve clearly decided to focus on CB, RW and then being in the development striker rather than moving Wilson on and spending a wedge on a replacement. I guess they’ll just hope they can get what they can in terms of goals and accept he’s going to be missing for large parts of the season. Definitely his last season for us though. (Maybe a departure in January if we were able to replace?)

Economically it’s daft as well to pay someone full wages for a part time job. He basically does a part time season.

27 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

End of the season

25 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Economically it’s daft as well to pay someone full wages for a part time job. He basically does a part time season.

I agree but at least when he does play his strike rate is pretty good. The arrival of the young lad does lighten the load on Isak in terms of minutes thankfully. Wilson needs replacing unfortunately we can’t do everything this window and he’ll be gone by next season.

1 hour ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Definitely his last season for us though. (Maybe a departure in January if we were able to replace?)

If Osula is coming good we'd probably move him on even without a replacement if we could.

The article includes the friendlies from this weekend, Southampton home then doubtful for Bournemouth and midweek league cup game. Not sure anything really has changed.

This injury means he now surely leaves on a free next summer.

On a positive note as others have mentioned when fit his strike rate is excellent. Those 10 or so goal could easily mean 3 places in the League, plus potentially European football.  The League places alone would be worth almost 10 million. So him staying now we have another back up striker it far from a disaster.

1 hour ago, Keggy_Keagal said:

I've a feeling in this day and age he can't get through a medical for a club to risk paying a fee for him.

We can forget about a fee for him now, we really needed to shift him this window for any hope of that. Let's just hope he stays fit enough to fire us into the CL, then any loss in fees will be a drop in the ocean.

Back in October, get 4 goals in 10 games up to January, and hope he’s not fucked again, and cash in for like £6m+ to some club in bottom half who are desperate for a goalscorer. That feels best case now.

Edited by Sibierski

3 minutes ago, mofo said:

Would people be happy letting him go and not replacing him? Madness if so IMO.

Don’t think many sides in the league have three strikers, so if we did sell him then I suspect Gordon up top or Osula would be plan b. 

I feel bad for Wilson, its not like its always a hammy problem or something, he has issues everywhere. 3-5 games for Wilson out is probably 5-7 lets be honest.

10 minutes ago, mofo said:

Would people be happy letting him go and not replacing him? Madness if so IMO.

Now or in January?

Now - not really, no (depending on any incoming).

January - happy isn't the word, but it could be the way to make the best of our circumstances.

Edited by 80

4 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

Think he’ll still be good to have around to teach young Will some shithousery.

He's still the king of that in our club.

Wilson was bought and given a salary with his injury record well known. His injury record will have been reflected is his transfer fee and his wages right from the start, so he isn’t ’part Time’. 

He's paid for goals and over the course of a season on that he delivers