Football governance

Nobody

8 hours ago, Abra Dubravka said:

The sense of entitlement from Celtic and Rangers in terms of wanting something bigger and better that the PL could offer just doesn’t sit right with me. Never has, even when I was a kid and would have first heard the idea I thought it was ridiculous.

Where does it end, will Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts want places in League 1/Championship because there’s more money here.

So what if the PL, and English football has more money flowing through it? Don’t see what right a team playing in Scotland and under the Scottish FA has to play in it.

Geographically, because England is next door doesn’t matter - Anderlecht, PSV, Feyenoord and Ajax may as well join on that basis.

Scottish football isn’t the only league in Europe that is dominated by a couple of teams either. Portugese league has only two been won from two teams outside Porto and Lisbon clubs. I’ve never heard the notion of those clubs wanted a place in La Liga. 

Likewise, there are plenty of leagues in Europe that aren’t awash with money outside select dominant clubs.

For me Rangers and Celtic playing in English leagues, even starting from bottom of the bottom is setting up a dangerous precedent that you may as well have a European Premier League, and 2nd Division for whoever wants more, more and more.

It has to be all of the clubs from Scotland or none at all, and i dont know how you could fairly filter them into the English league structure. 

6 minutes ago, Northerngimp said:

It has to be all of the clubs from Scotland or none at all, and i dont know how you could fairly filter them into the English league structure. 

Not necessarily. Maybe the clubs don't want to enter the English league structure.  Or the fans of those clubs don'5t want it.

Edited by gazza ladra
added

I don't think the Premier League have the stones to punish the six clubs proportionally. I'm hoping UEFA's fury means they'll push for a European ban, but that's just wishful thinking.

It sounds like the Government are very keen on reforming the game. It's an obvious vote winner for them, but it really should be coming from within the game. Sky, the PL and UEFA have created this monster, but they have no incentive to change things, as long as they're the ones who have dibs on shafting the fans.

Obscene ticket prices, limited access to games, unreasonable kick off times and parasitic owners are just a few examples of how the game is no longer in the best interest if the fans.

Preventing this breakaway should be a springboard to greater change, but while the current format continues to benefit those that run the game, there will be no real change and realistically, the instigating clubs will get the equivalent of a slap on the wrist.

16 minutes ago, astraguy said:

Can't wait to hear how super Bruce makes this about himself

He wont say much, he wouldn't want to burn his bridges in case he works for one of the top 6 one d..a.........................I can't seriously write that (pull yourself together Ben)

15 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I don't think the Premier League have the stones to punish the six clubs proportionally. I'm hoping UEFA's fury means they'll push for a European ban, but that's just wishful thinking.

I was just thinking about this. Wishful thinking, but how about 2 year bans for the unrepetants and no ban for everyone else. That'll really hit Real Madrid hard and create disunity between the 12.

The CL broadcasts won't take that big of a hit. Real Madrid and Barcelona will see that just as many people are willing to watch the CL without them as with them.

By not punishing the English clubs, they can make the CL expulsions that much more painful.

(I'd certainly like to see the PL to punish the English clubs as well. Heavy point reductions next season could really pile on the pressure)

Edited by gazza ladra

Premier League considering what action to take against top 6 clubs involved in super League plans, but will take time considering Thier approach "

Basically we won't punish the big boys please forgot about it and move on 

The only reason I'd want Rangers or Celtic down south is to shut their fucking fans up. I've been hearing it since I was a kid up here, they're all absolutely convinced if they were in the premiership, they'd be the biggest and best clubs in the world in a matter of minutes.  Do not entertain the idea, they're the most loathsome bunch of fans on the planet. Plus you're inviting pure rank sectarianism into your league. Christ, they were stabbing each other after a game a year or so back, riots not long after either, and it's not just club supporters but wider IRA/Orange order sympathisers.

They don't deserve it in any way, performance, conduct, how they treat the other clubs in their leagues, not one single thing could you find to reward these cunts. They shafted Scottish football in much the same way the big 6 do in England, in fact much worse, ESL aside. You're literally rewarding them for a century long corruption of the Scottish game, but I suppose this is all about making the premiership shinier, fuck Scotland. 

40 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

Not necessarily. Maybe the clubs don't want to enter the English league structure.  Or the fans of those clubs don'5t want it.

It would be hugely beneficial for them as it would be more turnstile clicks from traveling fans and may boost local support to see new clubs visiting their stadiums.  A combined league with Scotland, England and Wales would go some way to creating some good leverage for a TV deal. 

I always liked the idea of a UK cup to replace the League cup, obviously the English teams would clean up but it would spit out some interesting fixtures and it will give everyone an idea what level the teams are at.

3 minutes ago, Northerngimp said:

It would be hugely beneficial for them as it would be more turnstile clicks from traveling fans and may boost local support to see new clubs visiting their stadiums.  A combined league with Scotland, England and Wales would go some way to creating some good leverage for a TV deal. 

Maybe. But do the fans want it? I guess BlufPurdi is saying that Celtic and Rangers fans do.

How enthusiastic will the travelling fans be about making their way down from Glasgow to Norwich? Or vice versa? 

11 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

Maybe. But do the fans want it? I guess BlufPurdi is saying that Celtic and Rangers fans do.

How enthusiastic will the travelling fans be about making their way down from Glasgow to Norwich? Or vice versa? 

Yeah I get that, they could have a debate about it, the clubs, the fans, the country itself deciding on how they want to their national game to move forward after Covid.   Im not fussed about Celtic and Rangers, I was thinking more about Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs, Dundee and Dundee Utd etc. 

4 minutes ago, Ben said:

What about a proper Northern league with Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbro and Leeds joining the Scottish league ?

Nah, i think the current league format is fine, its probably time to look at salary caps and transfer limits to help sustain football rather than endlessly looking for the next mega TV deal to save the so called Big Clubs. 

8 minutes ago, Ben said:

What about a proper Northern league with Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbro and Leeds joining the Scottish league ?

I mean you've missed a fair few "North" teams there, but I suppose you could add a "slightly south of the north but north of the midlands" league in to sort that.

56 minutes ago, Northerngimp said:

Nah, i think the current league format is fine, its probably time to look at salary caps and transfer limits to help sustain football rather than endlessly looking for the next mega TV deal to save the so called Big Clubs. 

Wouldnt that have to be Europe wide?

If it was just the PL, then we'd very quickly become a backwater.

I can't understand why all European clubs have not had a meeting and introduced it between themselves, have a max wage £150k say and then a bonus system for trophy's and league position, I don't think it would take much to sort, probably just let the current legacy contracts run out first to avoid issues, didn't baseball do something along those lines a few years ago ? 

10 minutes ago, Ben said:

I can't understand why all European clubs have not had a meeting and introduced it between themselves, have a max wage £150k say and then a bonus system for trophy's and league position, I don't think it would take much to sort, probably just let the current legacy contracts run out first to avoid issues, didn't baseball do something along those lines a few years ago ? 

Why would the state owned clubs agree to that? They have unlimited money so it's in their interest to keep the wages high. You either cripple the opposition financially when they try to keep up or get the best players when they refuse to try to keep up 

Players dont just get paid via salary though. Theres image rights, merchandising, sponsorships, all sorts.

If you were to clamp down on all of that, theyd just ask for shares, percentage of tv rights or whatever, anything to keep the gravy train moving.

2 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Who gets the money generated if not the players?

Hopefully cheaper tickets, tv subscriptions, invest in communities, the problem I have with the current model is that the clubs are not generating enough money to pay the current wages and agent fees, its obviously a pipe dream but if this week has shown anything its that the current owners are not particularly bright.

I do agree that the players should get most of the money, the problem is clubs running themselves into big debt to pay more than they can really afford. As well as insane agent fees etc. 

TBF the top few in England seem to do a better job of most, but I'm not sure how much of that is just due to owners subsidising them.

There's an elephant in the room that nobody wants to confront and that is the demand from supporters for every game to be available to view.

I've argued on here many times over the years in favour of the 3pm blackout in English football to protect attendances down the pyramid that often rely on, for example, Newcastle fans going to Gateshead, Blyth, wherever, when we're playing away. It's inevitably met with a response that my view is archaic, we should all be able to watch whoever we want, whenever we want and nobody's too worried about clubs further down - "I don't go to watch North Shields when Newcastle are away so probably nobody does, it's not a problem"

Yet this week I've seen so much argument from many of the same people that money, Sky has already ruined football etc etc.

The fact is that we can't have it both ways. If we want to be able to watch every game in every top flight and in Europe, then that is going to generate significant revenue. 

We don't seem to mind paying for football but we're not very happy when the people in football get rich off it.

Guest neesy111
6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I do agree that the players should get most of the money, the problem is clubs running themselves into big debt to pay more than they can really afford. As well as insane agent fees etc. 

TBF the top few in England seem to do a better job of most, but I'm not sure how much of that is just due to owners subsidising them.

Yeap no issue with players getting money from the game instead of owners taking it out.