Football governance

Nobody

Seems a bit mad to go planning this pie-in-the-sky Old Firm scheme yet again when there's quite a significant possibility that Scotland won't even be part of the country in ten years time.

2 minutes ago, BlueStar said:

So fuck?  Does that mean we don't get to see these players play, they retire?  No.  

They, he (Perez), think people are idiots.

He thinks people are oblivious to the self-evident fact that if the "Big 6"/ESL clubs didn't run their finances like a Ponzi scheme, player prices would be lower.  What Perez is really upset about is that if the "Big 6"/ESL clubs don't get all the money, then other clubs might also be able to afford the good players because those players would be cheaper.

10 minutes ago, BlueStar said:

So fuck?  Does that mean we don't get to see these players play, they retire?  No.  

It makes me sick. Maybe it's time that UEFA mandate a budget cap similar to what FIA has done for F1? The top F1 teams have had to bring their expense level down from 400m/year to around 170m/year, which should hopefully allow much closer competition in years to come as the advantage of the big teams dissipates. The big clubs in football obviously couldn't raise the income (in a sustainable manner) to match their expense level even before COVID and their finances cannot deal with a year where income suffers for whatever reason (a pandemic, financial crisis, not qualifying for Europe or being relegated through bad management), so the solution quite clearly isn't to allow them to put this death spiral further into overdrive, but to cut it back a few notches and even up the playing field through legislation or regulation.

Edited by Unbelievable

This would never happen but it would be great if the likes of Talksport and Sky took an approach for the rest of the season not to discuss the 6 clubs outside of commentaries. Starve them of the oxygen that drives their commercial interests.

Of course the aforementioned platforms are completely complicit in the creation of a 'big 4', 'big 6' etc and it's a self fulfilling cycle where they believe that pushing these forward drives viewing/listening figures so it won't happen

17 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

I'd read that FIFA had some sort of rule against this sort of thing, but then there are so many exceptions to this supposed rule (Monaco in League1, Welsh clubs in the Premier League, the joint US-Canada MLS), I wonder if I had just imagined it or, more likely, FIFA routinely bends the rule for a fee.

One of my favourite little known football facts is that the most successful club in Wales (TNS) play their games in England.

Also the border runs right through Chester's ground, different parts of the ground are in different countries.

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I, for one, am gutted that massive clubs won’t spend quite as much money as usually making themselves even better than everyone else. 

I wouldn't be so sure. In that interview Perez says they will write a 180m loss for the current season yet still hints heavily at bringing in Mbappe and/or Haaland. They will just go on and on until someone stops them.

4 minutes ago, Wullie said:

One of my favourite little known football facts is that the most successful club in Wales (TNS) play their games in England.

Isn't it a similar/opposite situation for Chester where the border cuts through the Deva Stadium, so the pitch is on one side and the offices are on the other? 

Just now, number37 said:

Isn't it a similar/opposite situation for Chester where the border cuts through the Deva Stadium, so the pitch is on one side and the offices are on the other? 

Already edited my post to that effect, didn't want to exclude another of my favourite pieces of border related football trivia!

6 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Already edited my post to that effect, didn't want to exclude another of my favourite pieces of border related football trivia!

Ah, I'm foolishly over-eager when it comes to both the Welsh border facts! 

I do love a good enclave/exclave situation though, I went to Baarle-Hertog/Baarle-Nassau last year and it just blew my mind. 

23 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Also the border runs right through Chester's ground, different parts of the ground are in different countries.

Yeah it's in Oswestry, which is one of the most Welsh looking place names on the route from Chester to South Wales (non Motorway of course). 

Although they retained the TNS abbreviation they changed their name from Total Network Solutions to The New Saints in the mid 2000's with a sponsor change.

they are a Welsh FA affiliated club as the original club was from a neighbouring Welsh village and they only merged with Oswestry in the early 00's 

I'm so confused. Sky just used us as an example "if Newcastle were bought and moved to the isle of mann that wouldn't be right etc" - why not talk about the obvious example, that's far more likely to happen to Manchester United?

14 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

A cup to replace the league cup would be decent.

From the PL teams' POV though, I'm not sure what advantage they would get by adding Scottish teams to the league. 

Surely anything which improves the PL brand (which the introduction of two new major global assets surely would do) is ultimately reflected in increased revenues, which all teams take a share of? So too it would be felt further down the pyramid, even with our existing not-fit-for-purpose trickle-down system? The financial benefits for the Old Firm itself are obvious. Everybody wins... except the rest of Scotland. 

Some of the headlines would suggest City et al have saved football. It's crazy. Like the respect people get for overcoming terrible addiction, but in this instance they planned on becoming an addict for years without telling anyone, then binned it off over 48 hours and are now getting a pat on the back.

It's pretty hilarious that on the one hand Perez is trying to claim that the Super League is the only way these clubs will be able to afford to sign big players, while the the Super League cartel was also trying to argue that its also the only way it will make football more financially stable. It's such an absurdist contradiction that reflects the conflicting motivations of the clubs involved.

The thing is if none of these clubs can afford to buy anybody then this is a good thing! You then either cut your cloth accordingly or you go into financial meltdown. It would result in a huge deflation of transfer fees and wages. Either way this levels the playing field and well-run clubs might have a chance to actually have a genuine go at winning the Premier League, Serie A or La Liga. This would be great for all fans and for football in general.

However it would obviously be bad for these clubs which have essentially built a massive ponzi scheme in order to keep up with the joneses. It's such a desperate and cynical power grab to save themselves and attempt to freeze football in time.

Edited by ponsaelius

6 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

Watched it a couple of times and still don't know which is the interesting bit - where he names the 'Big Six' and says the other 14 have a WhatsApp group?

Probably that it's coming directly from a club owner, not a nameless/faceless quote.  Mind, I'm assuming that he is who he is claimed to be in the tweet.

Edited by deejeck