Relegationometer

Yorkie

Relegationometer  

332 members have voted

1. 1. We going down then or what? 10 - aye, doomed, no hope of salvation / 5 - can't call it / 0 - nah we're sound, can't wait for next season

It seesm to me that El Cid uses ‘facts’ the way a drunk uses a lamp-post: for support rather than illumination. We played very well, in spells, against two very good sides in Chelsea and Man City. We also drew at Old Trafford (hen’s teeth time) and although I didn’t see the game, the highlights/result against a good Swansea side looked ok to me. The actual facts seem selected to support a doom and gloom argument he seems intent on making, no doubt because that is all he can see. Fair enough, we're not all balanced thinkers; but some of the stuff focussed on is in the past and seems irrelevant, except for in how it decreases fans tolerance and players confidence:

like 1 win in 20...what I can say for certainty is that we will concede goals galore with this team as has been proven season after season” ...I look and WATCH this team and say can we score goals consistently and in numbers and I would say certainly no to the second part and arguably no to the first also... The majority of occasions we have been required to score more than one to even just get a result not even a win - can you see that really changing?”

Cisse has been in miserable form/had a supreme lip-on, Mitrovic has been missing for half of the games and is still settling in. I really like the look of him, Wijnaldum and Mbemba, and am still hopeful (God forgive me for using the H word...) re Thauvin. So yes, I can see it changing.

“...there is no way you or anyone else can tell me the see anything else when you look at what Ive pointed out above. This club is in total disarray from the top to the bottom and no matter what your opinion is in that it won't change... My opinion is based on fact.”

This opinion to me, seems based on emotive language and an unhealthy dose of p*ssed-off-ed-ness (we’ve all had a touch of that lurgy El Cid) FWIW, to pick up another point (above) I think Palace, Southampton, West Ham, Tottenham and Everton have better sides than us at the moment, but I do think we can win 9 or 10 games, and actually do so with a bit of style—which I also expect to see leaking into the other 20 games, at times. That said, we don’t get 7 points from the next three games, I’ll be back on and also in full-on "We're Doomed" mode/as pessimistic as El Cid. If I am, it will still be opinion and catastrophic crystal ball gazing, not reality/facts.

Spook.

That 'unhealthy does of pissed off' is the only thing that forced the fat shit out from under his rock in the first place. The facts are we have been in relegation battle multiple times in multiple times, our goal difference has been pitiful, goals scored the same, win percentages no different and slight glimmers of change in style of play but the same failing policy. It's not enough and not enough progression to brand somebody pessimistic whilst rock bottom after nearly a quarter of the season.

Pessimistic = fatalistic, gloomy, defeatist, demoralized, hopeless, glum, suspicious, distrustful, alarmist.... Can't agree with you if you don't think that is an inaccurate take on previous posts.

Though can't disagree with much else you say, LA. Things have been horrific for so long -- this article captures it for me: http://www.themag.co.uk/2015/10/newcastle-united-the-four-key-relationships-that-are-all-broken/? -- that it is easy to go beyond the normal despondency anyone would feel at being bottom of the league after 8 games. I just happen to think given what been happening with the squad, the fact we've played last season's top four, we have some decent signings,  and this looks like Perez's season to establish himself,  that things will pick-up. I am still personally looking forward to games in a way I haven't for a few seasons (perhaps in itself testimony to how s*** it has been). Trust me, can't imagine many feeling worse than me if we're relegated, or even lose to the Makems again. Just in the meanwhile, I intend to cross that bridge when/if we come to it and try and enjoy football again.

Pretty thorough assassination of Tim Sherwood here:

http://www.football365.com/news/is-he-a-good-manager-is-he-a-manager

Looks certain at least one of us, Villa and the mackems will be through the trapdoor this season, could make getting back up a lot harder if we all go.

Looks like all three of us at the moment but think the mackems might have a chance of staying up now.

Looks certain at least one of us, Villa and the mackems will be through the trapdoor this season, could make getting back up a lot harder if we all go.

Looks like all three of us at the moment but think the mackems might have a chance of staying up now.

Season ticket next season if we go down. It'll be interesting at least. Us, Newcastle and Boro (should they bottle it again) in the second tier, whilst shit for North East football would at least add interest.

Guest Howaythetoon

I thought he might of done a bit better than he has done there like. Mind they are like us Villa, a totally lifeless club inside and out and just like us, I fear its a total regime change needed and not always a new manager, if they are to get better.

Guest Howaythetoon

Allardyce should keep the mackems up you would think, but he will stink out the place like their previous managers have. They need new ideas and a fresh approach to football. Ironically Boro who are a league below us, have the best set-up with a decent coach and a bright future if they can get promoted. I can actually see them going up and one or both of us and the mackems going down like. Serves both clubs right for being rotten.

I thought he might of done a bit better than he has done there like. Mind they are like us Villa, a totally lifeless club inside and out and just like us, I fear its a total regime change needed and not always a new manager, if they are to get better.

Nothing will change seriously for the better till Lerner fucks off, that is definitely true.

However, things could change a bit for the better if we finally appointed a manager with a proven record of being able to distinguish his arse from his elbow.

We've won a total of twenty home league games *in the last five seasons*

Actually, I say "in the last five seasons", I actually mean those five seasons AND the home games thus far this season.

I've been about three times in the last three years and I don't regret it for a second. It is just the pathetic, lifeless acceptance of utter mediocrity and the lack of any pretence of wanting to do anything - *anything* - beyond staying in the league.

Sherwood really needs to go. Not because he's a bad manager or because the results have not been up to scratch, but because what he puts out on the pitch absolutely defies description. He hasn't got the first clue tactically. He kept us up last season (albeit in 17th place and having lost 8 of the 14 games he managed us for) purely by not being Lambert and by getting Benteke scoring again.

His tactical mistakes have been utterly staggering, though, truly bizarre. That's the terrifying bit.

Believe me, if he stays here, we're going down, absolutely put your money on it.

The three clubs in the relegation places seem to be disfunctional, absentee landlord owned messes. If I didn't support one of those three teams, I absolutely would want all three to go down, because they all absolutely reek of idiocy.

Last season, BTW, Cesare Prandelil was "outed" in an interview on the club site as being a Villa fan. He is currently out of work. Speak to him, FFS.

I don't doubt Rodgers is better than Sherwood, but fuck me, that is the faintest of faint praise. He also managed to get himself thoroughly out-tacticked by Sherwood last year, and several times by that magician of the game Lambert.

I'm through with know-fuck-all British managers, or up-and-coming Brits, I've had enough of them. Get someone who has a proven CV they can point to, someone who has the first idea what they're doing.

Tom Fox, our CEO, said last year that Sherwood was the only name on the list of possible Lambert replacements. Imagine that. Imagine that kind of fucking stupidity.

Guest Howaythetoon

I feel for you Brummie, I love Villa Park, and I'm always working in that area so I know how bad things are. You are right like, us, you and the mackems stink out the league.

I feel for you Brummie, I love Villa Park, and I'm always working in that area so I know how bad things are. You are right like, us, you and the mackems stink out the league.

And knowing our luck, all fucking three will go down, thus making that league more interesting but much harder to get out of. Just when the massive TV money kicks in, too.

Based on the first 8 games of the season,  we are without doubt going down.

For me, unless McClaren gets at least 7 points from the next 3 games, he has to go. He then has to get at least 4 points, if not 6 in November to keep his job in December.  A good december (he stays and rebuilds) - otherwise, a new manager would ideally come in in December to have a look at whats needed in Jan!

As a minimum that would leave us on 14 points from 14 games which is still far to much like relegation form - however, I think that points total as a minimum would have us in the bottom 6 but not in the bottom 3.

The fact that they won't even entertain the idea of sacking him is a major concern in itself.

With Advocaat gone, Sherwood on the brink at least those clubs will enjoy some form of reaction/change.

When you then look at the form of the newly promoted sides and the fact that we enjoy no leadership whatsoever then I just can't see how we don't end up one of the three worst teams in the league.

The demise from Pardew leaving a squad in mid-table to the current malaise, especially after having spent money, is quite frankly staggering.

The squad needs a total overhaul. I'd be giving SMc no more than the next three weeks to prove he can get results out of them before shipping him out completely for a man capable of generating a total change of culture.

When the head coach is the only focal point of the club, he needs to be a big character with serious charisma and an ability to sell the club to not only potential players but also to the fans who want to believe again. Schteve will never be that imho.

The fact that they won't even entertain the idea of sacking him is a major concern in itself.

With Advocaat gone, Sherwood on the brink at least those clubs will enjoy some form of reaction/change.

When you then look at the form of the newly promoted sides and the fact that we enjoy no leadership whatsoever then I just can't see how we don't end up one of the three worst teams in the league.

The demise from Pardew leaving a squad in mid-table to the current malaise, especially after having spent money, is quite frankly staggering.

The squad needs a total overhaul. I'd be giving SMc no more than the next three weeks to prove he can get results out of them before shipping him out completely for a man capable of generating a total change of culture.

When the head coach is the only focal point of the club, he needs to be a big character with serious charisma and an ability to sell the club to not only potential players but also to the fans who want to believe again. Schteve will never be that imho.

:thup:

I sort of agree with that assessment of McClaren, but then again I think he is capable of making enough changes to the team and tactics in order to get a few results. Those results in themselves will act as a motivator for the team, and build confidence. Not to mention the well-respected coaches we have on our staff now.

I sort of agree with that assessment of McClaren, but then again I think he is capable of making enough changes to the team and tactics in order to get a few results. Those results in themselves will act as a motivator for the team, and build confidence. Not to mention the well-respected coaches we have on our staff now.

If he can turn it around and get results in the upcoming, crucial games, then fair play.