Relegationometer

Yorkie

Relegationometer  

332 members have voted

1. 1. We going down then or what? 10 - aye, doomed, no hope of salvation / 5 - can't call it / 0 - nah we're sound, can't wait for next season

Next game is massive. While gutted with tonight, I expected to lose it after the Soton game and I think many of our feelings were based on assumption of losing tonight. If, however, we lost *5* in a row, capped off with humiliation at home to Wigan, that'd be up there with most dire moments in newcastle memory. Winning on the weekend won't erase it all, but could give me confidence we wont be relegated.

When did we last lose 4 in a row? 5?

Guest malandro

Two varieties of relegation performance in a few days. A making an average team look like world beaters,  followed by a chucking it away in the last ten minutes capitulation. All we need for a hat-trick would be a cauldron of hate three goals down by halftime at home type thing against Wigan.

What happened there was typical of teams going down. We have looked like a relegated team all month.

Pretty much to be brutally honest.

It's a few years ago but were the relegation team playing as shit as this?  It's not even like it's been just this month in terms of the football being played, but we've been playing absolute bollocks from the first minute of the season up until the 94th minute here tonight.

Next game is massive. While gutted with tonight, I expected to lose it after the Soton game and I think many of our feelings were based on assumption of losing tonight. If, however, we lost *5* in a row, capped off with humiliation at home to Wigan, that'd be up there with most dire moments in newcastle memory. Winning on the weekend won't erase it all, but could give me confidence we wont be relegated.

Last time we lost 4 was pre/post KK fallout.

Arsenal, Hull, West Ham, Blackburn. 5, God knows.

At the minute i'll say 7 if we don't beat Stoke i'll say 9.  We are almost halfway thru the season, just above the relegation zone and the way the fixtures have worked out, we have the harder set of fixtures coming up.  We can't win away and have tough home games after xmas.

:frantic::frantic::frantic::frantic::frantic::frantic::frantic:

Guest neesy111

5. 6 months earlier in the league under Keegan.

5. 6 months earlier in the league under Keegan.

Who? I thought we just drew a lot. Was the defeat at Anfield amongst it?

The too good to go down line of thought is being played here. We clearly in my mind a least have way too many quality players to have to worry about relegation. However we were in the same position a few years back and we dropped. There is a difference though this time around. We don't have the side show of a fan base angry at the ownership for stupid decisions. We don't have a managerial merry go around going on with a crazy caretaker with health issues taking over then getting ill again. And most importantly we have a much better dressing room with many more honest pros in there.

I don't therefore think there is a lot of similarities with 2008/9, but having said all that, something clearly has to change, something is seriously wrong, the form has been poor all season and now we've been getting the result that form has deserved. I worry about Pardew's ability in a relegation fight, he's proved in the past that he struggles in those situations. Seeing quite where the next win is coming from is frankly extremely difficult, and copled with a tough month of fixtures coming up and a few teams below us starting to pick up, like Southampton and I'm sure Redknapp will get QPR going, we should be well and truely worried right now, which frankly is not good enough.

(When asked if his team were in a relegation scrap):

"Well, we are now, and no it’s not too early. We can’t bury our head in the sand, and we have to get wins to get out of it.”

I know it's not wise to pay too much attention to what he says, but still.

I heard a few years back that one of the most financially beneficial ways to own a football club was to yoyo between the championship and prem. maintaining a squad too good for championship, but not investing enough to compete in prem. I dont know if this model works- got me wondering about ashley tho. :whistle:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/pardew-counts-the-cost-of-rapid-rise-as-newcastle-falter-8369169.html

Pardew was asked in the immediate aftermath of that loss [at Stoke] whether his side was in a relegation fight, even with the season yet to reach December. “Well, we are now, and no, it’s not too early,” he said. “We can’t bury our heads in the sand, and we have to get wins to get out of it.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/pardew-counts-the-cost-of-rapid-rise-as-newcastle-falter-8369169.html

Pardew was asked in the immediate aftermath of that loss [at Stoke] whether his side was in a relegation fight, even with the season yet to reach December. “Well, we are now, and no, it’s not too early,” he said. “We can’t bury our heads in the sand, and we have to get wins to get out of it.”

:babygiggs:

For 5 defetas it will have to be either from 91/92, 88/89 or some time in the 70's under Dinnis or whoever we were shittest under.