Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

So...premier league says the bid is withdrawn so nothing to reject...the club says there has been a bid rejected. Who do you believe?

I suspect that this whole thing is getting bogged down with the nuances of words. It looks like the PL rejected the bid, saying that they needed more clarity over ownership.

It could then either be stated that they rejected the bid, or that they were seeking more information, depending on the impression you are trying to make.

It doesn't alter the reality, which is that the Saudis failed to establish a clear enough dividing line between the PIF and the Saudi Government, at least to the Premiership's satisfaction. There's no need to get into a debate about who is telling the truth.

To all of those convinced this is going to happen, I have a question.

What's it going to take for you to admit it's over?

1. Consortium media statement?

2. An appeal which is then rejected again?

3. Failed legal action after a rejected appeal?

We've now had a statement from PIF, a statement from Staveley, communication from the Rueben's, communication from the PL, a statement from the club saying it's been rejected. On the flip side we've had some journalist claim that the parties were all still talking, but now they've had the rejection. Where's the positivity? I'm desperate to get some of it.

This is how I see it too. Ashley is probably raging, but he's also seen an opportunity to score a PR open goal.

Plus he probably rightly considers he was robbed of the opportunity to sell the club. It's all about compensation for him as far as I can see. If there were attempts to get PIF on board surely the PL would have accommodated them, but instead have returned an outright rejection.

This is how I see it too. Ashley is probably raging, but he's also seen an opportunity to score a PR open goal.

Plus he probably rightly considers he was robbed of the opportunity to sell the club. It's all about compensation for him as far as I can see. If there were attempts to get PIF on board surely the PL would have accommodated them, but instead have returned an outright rejection.

Maybe his legal team advised him how much he's likely to win, and he's spent that on some Bournemouth players.

We've now had a statement from PIF, a statement from Staveley, communication from the Rueben's, communication from the PL, a statement from the club saying it's been rejected. On the flip side we've had some journalist claim that the parties were all still talking, but now they've had the rejection. Where's the positivity? I'm desperate to get some of it.

Agree. PL officials have had several opportunities to get this done, but they have been adamant in making sure it doesn't.

They don't want it, so unless PIF take them to court, it's not happening.

Agree. PL officials have had several opportunities to get this done, but they have been adamant in making sure it doesn't.

PIF can’t take them to court, only Ashley can, I believe.

Because points 2 and 3 couldnt happen without yesterdays rejection.

Whether you believe yesterdays statement was positive or negative its one step closer to the end (whatever that is) which has to be a positive

So...premier league says the bid is withdrawn so nothing to reject...the club says there has been a bid rejected. Who do you believe?

It's like being asked to choose who to get in bed with Jo Brand or Katy Brand.

One would definitely be more fun, but one has the dirt and filth. Either way you feel minging in the morning

Katy Brand, easily.

Caveat is that she'll only accept if you can get your cv onto a single sheet of A4..

Or you can prove if a strawberry is dead or alive

You could get my CV on a sheet of A5.

And what's your take on strawberries?

Nice with cream.

Nobody able to tell me anything about Southampton's appeal then? It's quoted as gospel on here, but all I can find is an article stating the PL took time to investigate the company, not that the deal was rejected and re-submitted? It might well be the case but I'm interested in how people on here know so much about it.

From what I recall you've spent a the past month and a half shouting down anyone who dared to suggest that the deal might not be completely dead and that talks were possibly happening in the background. Yesterday's statement proves that was actually happening, that it clearly wasn't dead. What's it going to take for you to admit that you were wrong?

PIF hadn't really gone away last time, so what makes you so sure they have this time?

Nobody able to tell me anything about Southampton's appeal then? It's quoted as gospel on here, but all I can find is an article stating the PL took time to investigate the company, not that the deal was rejected and re-submitted? It might well be the case but I'm interested in how people on here know so much about it.

There wasn't an appeal to the PL, the proposed owner had his conviction overturned.

I don't think Mike Ashley suing the Premier League will definitely result in the take over going through. What it will do is make the Premier League have to explain themselves. They are painted into a corner. All their reasons for rejecting the take over are compromised. Piracy? Where does it say anything about that in the O & D test? Human Rights? What about the Sheffield United and Man City owners? The O & D test is supposed to be applied every year. Can't be owned by a state? What about Man City? Are the Premier League going to slag off Saudi Arabia in court? Good luck selling those TV rights in Saudi. Also, this rejection ruling will put others off from buying a Premier League club as when they come to sell, the buyer they've found may not pass the opaque O & D test. They'll be stuck with an asset they don't want. I like the idea of the Premier League being dragged through the courts.

Only this, from the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40928467

Its suggests the deal was resubmitted (presumably as part of the appeal process) as a personal investment by Jisheng Gao, and then it was approved.

PL comment:

A spokesman for the Premier League said: "As with any change of control at a Premier League club, we have checked the sources and sufficiency of funding in place to acquire the shares, and been provided with a detailed business plan showing the new owners can sustain the club going forward.

"We have also conducted the Owners' and Directors' Test, which includes detailed background checks on any individual proposing to acquire more than 30% of shares in a club, or to be a director on the club's board."

So suggests this one was originally rejected as the bid by Gao's company 'Lander Sports' due to worries over ongoing funding/running of the club.... which is what the O&D test is supposed to be about.

From what I recall you've spent a the past month and a half shouting down anyone who dared to suggest that the deal might not be completely dead and that talks were possibly happening in the background. Yesterday's statement proves that was actually happening, that it clearly wasn't dead. What's it going to take for you to admit that you were wrong?

PIF hadn't really gone away last time, so what makes you so sure they have this time?

Well it actually doesn't prove it at all. It's a Mike Ashley statement which doesn't mention ongoing talks.

But still, what I've actually been "shouting" about is the fact that the PL would reject it, so technically I'm spot on.

So what's it going to take for you to admit it's over?

I suspect that this whole thing is getting bogged down with the nuances of words. It looks like the PL rejected the bid, saying that they needed more clarity over ownership.

It could then either be stated that they rejected the bid, or that they were seeking more information, depending on the impression you are trying to make.

It doesn't alter the reality, which is that the Saudis failed to establish a clear enough dividing line between the PIF and the Saudi Government, at least to the Premiership's satisfaction. There's no need to get into a debate about who is telling the truth.

:thup:

Unfortunately, that posture seems to be one the most defensible one for the PL, too.

Only this, from the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40928467

Its suggests the deal was resubmitted (presumably as part of the appeal process) as a personal investment by Jisheng Gao, and then it was approved.

PL comment:

A spokesman for the Premier League said: "As with any change of control at a Premier League club, we have checked the sources and sufficiency of funding in place to acquire the shares, and been provided with a detailed business plan showing the new owners can sustain the club going forward.

"We have also conducted the Owners' and Directors' Test, which includes detailed background checks on any individual proposing to acquire more than 30% of shares in a club, or to be a director on the club's board."

So suggests this one was originally rejected to worries over ongoing funding/running of the club.... which is what the O&D test is supposed to be about.

Thanks for that.

Guest neesy111

:thup:

Unfortunately, that posture seems to be one the most defensible one for the PL, too.

Agreed.

Well it actually doesn't prove it at all. It's a Mike Ashley statement which doesn't mention ongoing talks.

But still, what I've actually been "shouting" about is the fact that the PL would reject it, so technically I'm spot on.

The club being sold to someone else or a CAS case being lost.

Staveley, the Ruben Brothers and PIF don't strike me as the type of people / organisations to just give up. I think it's highly likely that they will continue to work towards a solution. Even if they don't, I think the club is likely to appeal the decision with or without them.

:clap:

PIF can’t take them to court, only Ashley can, I believe.

As I said, if Ashley takes them to court, then it's probably going to be to fight for compensation for himself in not being able to cash in on selling the club. Unless the PL suddenly decide to do a U-turn, I can't see why PIF would come back in, especially after a second rejection. I hope I'm wrong, but I think they will wash their hands of it, this is just Ashley fighting for money he feels he was denied unfairly. Which he was.

The club being sold to someone else or a CAS case being lost.

Staveley, the Ruben Brothers and PIF don't strike me as the type of people / organisations to just give up. I think it's highly likely that they will continue to work towards a solution. Even if they don't, I think the club is likely to appeal the decision with or without them.

Without them though the takeover can't happen, so what would the club be appealing?

Have to be clear here, I really don't want to be right. I hope I'm completely wrong and the takeover happens.

Alex hurst saying he was told that we’d hear good news and the buyers were convinced it would go thru after political involvement. To think yesterday could have been the best day ever had the news been different. It’s so depressing. I’m glad my hopes wernt up coz some are gonna be crushed very soon when they realise it’s over