Copa America

Wullie

22 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Glad to see Messi has picked up another international trophy. If the question wasn't answered already it's well and truly put to bed now 

Mark of the man will be whether he does the right thing or hangs around lad a bad smell and hampers the team.  

We’ve seen the human waxwork say he wants to play for Portugal at WC26, I hope Messi steps aside. Will be the ultimate differentiator between team and ego.

6 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Mark of the man will be whether he does the right thing or hangs around lad a bad smell and hampers the team.  

We’ve seen the human waxwork say he wants to play for Portugal at WC26, I hope Messi steps aside. Will be the ultimate differentiator between team and ego.

Haven't seen a lot of Argentina, but don't get the impression that he's holding them back in the same way? He still seems to get his fair share of assists even if not many goals this tournament.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Messi on the bench at the next WC, coming on in the latter half of games as needed (basically exactly the role Ronaldo should've been playing in this Portugal squad if he wasn't such a narcissistic bellend).

9 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Haven't seen a lot of Argentina, but don't get the impression that he's holding them back in the same way? He still seems to get his fair share of assists even if not many goals this tournament.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Messi on the bench at the next WC, coming on in the latter half of games as needed (basically exactly the role Ronaldo should've been playing in this Portugal squad if he wasn't such a narcissistic bellend).

The problem with the true megastars is that the overshadow the squad if they’ve even there. Kane should have been dropped last night but I can’t imagine the noise if he had been. Amplify that by x100,000 for Messi and Ronaldo. It needs to be a clean break.

I have a feeling that the US will want Messi to be part of WC2026. Not long to go either. He'll still be there in the MLS in the meantime and probably get paid loads to hype up the tournament.

Only question is, will Argentina continue to call him up if his form dips to a point that his selection would be questioned? 

Edited by nufcjb

11 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

I have a feeling that the US will want Messi to be part of WC2026. Not long to go either. He'll still be there in the MLS in the meantime and probably get paid loads to hype up the tournament.

Only question is, will Argentina continue to call him up if his form dips to a point that his selection would be questioned? 

2 years is a long time when your legs are starting to go, injuries are mounting up and you’ll be playing in 35+ degree heat.

1 hour ago, nufcjb said:

If he wants to play they're not dropping him like :lol:

Think he'll probably retire. Thought him crying when he came off was because of that

3 hours ago, nufcjb said:

I have a feeling that the US will want Messi to be part of WC2026.

He’ll be one of the faces of the tournament for sure.

Remains to be seen if he’ll have enough left in the tank in two years. Regardless, I’d rather he (along with Ronaldo and Kane) moved on.

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

I love how Kane is washed at 30 while Messi is 37 and CRonaldo is 39. How does he look like he’s their age despite being so much younger

Thought he was like 34. :lol:

8 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I love how Kane is washed at 30 while Messi is 37 and CRonaldo is 39. How does he look like he’s their age despite being so much younger

Kane scored 8 goals in the CL and 36 in the league last season.

For England he is misused, he’s hardly washed up

Just now, WilliamPS said:

He’s either washed up or injured, because he wasn’t even making the most basic runs in the box when we had an overlap.

10 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

I’m not saying he’s done. I’m saying that the perception of him being in the same camp as Messi and CRonaldo is funny given their respective ages. I think he’ll probably have a great domestic season again. He’s looked very poor for England for a while despite his league form being fine. There’s no question that his overall game is starting to fall apart quite quickly though. He was never the most athletic player but he looks like his body isn’t there 

Bit odd that a player can do so well in the CL, including good games against Real, but he’s fallen to bits 2 months later! From opta;

Harry Kane has been directly involved in 11 goals in the Champions League this season (eight goals, three assists); the most ever by an English player in a single campaign in the competition.

Harry Kane is the joint-top scorer across Europe's big five leagues in all competitions this season (43 - level with Kylian Mbappe), while the striker now has the most combined goals and assists of any player (54 - 43 goals and 11 assists).

im not even a Kane stan but he’s clearly still a great player! The difference is Bayern put pacey players going beyond him, England don’t. Be like binning Shearer off at 30 instead of putting Bellamy next to him

8 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

Bit odd that a player can do so well in the CL, including good games against Real, but he’s fallen to bits 2 months later! From opta;

Harry Kane has been directly involved in 11 goals in the Champions League this season (eight goals, three assists); the most ever by an English player in a single campaign in the competition.

Harry Kane is the joint-top scorer across Europe's big five leagues in all competitions this season (43 - level with Kylian Mbappe), while the striker now has the most combined goals and assists of any player (54 - 43 goals and 11 assists).

im not even a Kane stan but he’s clearly still a great player! The difference is Bayern put pacey players going beyond him, England don’t. Be like binning Shearer off at 30 instead of putting Bellamy next to him

Disagree he looked good against Real Madrid. Thought the decline had set in and remembering him being subbed. Maybe it’s just a really bad injury he can recover from it. Like the UCL when he played when not fit feel it shows a very selfish side of his. Looked quite clear in game 1 he wasn’t fit and just got worse. Still shares the Golden Boot mind with3 goals! Personally feel his legs of gone. Next two seasons will be interesting viewing as we head towards the 2026 World Cup.

Shearer binned England off when he was 29. Can’t see Kane retiring from international football.

44 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Disagree he looked good against Real Madrid. Thought the decline had set in and remembering him being subbed. Maybe it’s just a really bad injury he can recover from it. Like the UCL when he played when not fit feel it shows a very selfish side of his. Looked quite clear in game 1 he wasn’t fit and just got worse. Still shares the Golden Boot mind with3 goals! Personally feel his legs of gone. Next two seasons will be interesting viewing as we head towards the 2026 World Cup.

Shearer binned England off when he was 29. Can’t see Kane retiring from international football.

He was subbed after 85 mins when Bayern were winning 1-0 and trying to shut the game down. Kane has genuinely just had the best club season of his career. He was awful for England though as the manager wouldn’t choose between players and tactics.

3 hours ago, WilliamPS said:

He was subbed after 85 mins when Bayern were winning 1-0 and trying to shut the game down. Kane has genuinely just had the best club season of his career. He was awful for England though as the manager wouldn’t choose between players and tactics.

He got his injury that game. He was struggling the game before and against Arsenal both games. After the second tie he didn’t feature in Bayerns next two games which were their final two of the season. I’ve discussed this before on here. Just seemed to tail off badly last couple month of season. 

Hope I’m wrong as a great player but looked immobile way before this tournament started.

Personally I'm not a fan of Kane simply due to finding his public personality incredibly boring. Imagine being forced to try engaging both James Milner and Harry Kane into a three-way conversation that would be enjoyable listening for anyone? :anguish: 

Can't drag on his stats as a player, though. Glad he left the PL as that removed the threat from him to one day take the crown from Shearer as the player with most PL goals.