PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I take issue with said definitions personally, why was so called financial doping ok for Chelsea, City, PSG etc but isn’t now. In modern investing it’s quite common to see companies make big losses during a growth period, it’s happened countless times Amazon obviously being the poster child for such practices. I think linking sustainably to profit and loss only makes sense up to a point, if owners are willing to under write losses it’s fine after all it’s competition at the end of the day. 

I didn’t think it was ok when Chelsea, PSG and Man City did it tbh.  But that’s just my view. 

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I didn’t think it was ok when Chelsea, PSG and Man City did it tbh.  But that’s just my view. 

Personally no, but it was accepted as it’s always been the way the little woods family jack walker general franco etc. 

Anyways, as we are both seemingly questioning the stated goals, what do you think they really are? Ride the valuation up and wait for the correct moment to exit? More of a traditional investment?

15 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The stated ambitions aren’t; I also think it’s notable that the club has went quite quiet in terms of public statements over the last 12 months

Didn't Darren Eales say a few weeks ago, on the record, that our aim is top 6 and major trophies within 5 years?

3 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Didn't Darren Eales say a few weeks ago, on the record, that our aim is top 6 and major trophies within 5 years?

Yes, which is not the same as being ‘no 1’ or ‘we will win the premier league, we will win the champions league’ etc. 

11 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Anyways, as we are both seemingly questioning the stated goals, what do you think they really are? Ride the valuation up and wait for the correct moment to exit? More of a traditional investment?

Run it sustainably and use it for PR purposes. Exit if a really strong offer comes in.

There has been nothing stopping PIF building a state of the art training ground and investing even more in refurbishing the stadium.

I’m particularly surprised a second screen hasn’t gone up on the L7 Milburn SW wall, for example.

Edited by Sima

9 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

At the moment, my money would be on a traditional investment.  Maximise what the club can be in the current market under its own steam, potentially sell when it’s judged to have peaked.  

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s afternoon here in Australia.  But the time of day hasn’t impacted my doom mongering :) 

Aye, I’ve just had a satisfying lunch here in Singapore as well. But ditto on the time of the day having no bearing on my assessments. :lol:

and again, just to be clear I’d like nothing more than to be totally wrong  

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yes, which is not the same as being ‘no 1’ or ‘we will win the premier league, we will win the champions league’ etc. 

I think winning a major trophy probably does make you number 1? At least temporarily. Doesn't make you Real Madrid obviously.

I suppose that's just a technicality but if you offered me regular top 6 and a major trophy in the next five years I'd be absolutely ecstatic. 

The key thing though is it wasn’t just us voting them in, Villa have huge ambitions and they voted in favour. Further down, Forest and Everton are basically at war over FFP yet they voted in favour as well. I just can’t see us and those 3 voting in tighter restrictions.

It is baffling that PIF haven't planned, wrangled for and executed a state of the art training complex, potentially with facilities for the academy and women's team, with minimal staff, in circa two and a half years.

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

At the moment, my money would be on a traditional investment.  Maximise what the club can be in the current market under its own steam, potentially sell when it’s judged to have peaked.  

They've put in £400m on the books already, plus potentially other off the books stuff like the Sela Adidas partnership and associated party sponsorships.

If we are an investment we're probably past the peak already, and they'd currently need to get £700m just to break even on the on the books investment.

1 hour ago, Jackie Broon said:

They've put in £400m on the books already, plus potentially other off the books stuff like the Sela Adidas partnership and associated party sponsorships.

If we are an investment we're probably past the peak already, and they'd currently need to get £700m just to break even on the on the books investment.

I think they’d get more than that tbh.  I also don’t think we’re at peak investment 

6 hours ago, et tu brute said:

The doom duo going strong this morning I see [emoji38]

Don't worry the lad who only posts about us taking them to court will be in the way soon :lol:

6 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

That was said before they brought in new rules I believe. Also was said to be an aim/goal. Not we will.

6 hours ago, Keegans Export said:

This was the most recent vision statement based on current rules. With the word “competing” for major trophies in 5 years to give its true context.

7 hours ago, r0cafella said:

I thought I was going mad, glad I wasn’t the only one who noticed this. 

on a practical level, I don’t see how we can challenge rules our owners have voted for either. 

i just see what PIF did to the golfing world, yet not a peep against the status quo thats holding NUFC back.

doesnt make sense unless we're really not a priority.

1 hour ago, huss9 said:

i just see what PIF did to the golfing world, yet not a peep against the status quo thats holding NUFC back.

doesnt make sense unless we're really not a priority.

Unless they think they can have us challenging within the rules?

Edited by The Prophet

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Do you think?

I don't think it's impossible, but it'd take a decent chunk of time and smart executive management.

what do you consider a decent amount of time though?

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

what do you consider a decent amount of time though?

Well it took City around three and a half years to win their first league title. In that time their revenue jumped from around €100 million to €300 million. It's now circa €800 million. That of course began in a regulation free market where they could spend freely. We also know there may also have been an element of dishonesty about that growth.

It depends what we're looking for. If we continue to grow the revenue at a reasonable pace and we're smart with recruitment, I don't see why we can't compete more regularly in a few years.

If we're talking consistent trophies and commercial revenue on par with the more successful members of the big six, you're talking well over a decade though.