The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

Would love to pick Saudi Magpie's brain about these sorts of things, but don't even want to bother asking him.

I do know some ex-pats that live out there and they'd say things similar to what that woman is allegedly saying in Mandoon's post.

Just can't be arsed with it all really. Let those that feel the need to write on these matters continue to do so if they want. I just think in the grand scheme of things leadership in the west is not at all concerned with any of these matters whatsoever.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Would love to pick Saudi Magpie's brain about these sorts of things, but don't even want to bother asking him.

I do know some ex-pats that live out there and they'd say things similar to what that woman is allegedly saying in Mandoon's post.

Just can't be arsed with it all really. Let those that feel the need to write on these matters continue to do so if they want. I just think in the grand scheme of things leadership in the west is not at all concerned with any of these matters whatsoever.

They couldn’t care less other than for the coin 

Guest HTT II

Good thread btw, hopefully, not that I really care, it will show the wider world we as fans are concerned and do not and never will or should condone the type of things the SA regime carry out on their citizens, but also no other regime either which is where if we are talking about morals and ethics the debate needs focused on everything and everyone who does bad deeds against its people and the people of the world which the UK have many many many crimes to answer for in that regard as does the US and Israel and a whole host of other nations, along with SA of course. 

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I mean maybe they do, but they weren’t allowed to drive until very recently. My dad worked out there in the late 90s ish, and he loved it because he is white and was rich.

I think that post though human rights issues are not just women. The whole thing seems very sketchy. Bad vibes. 

Man, you wouldn't believe how good some folks are living out there. They wouldn't even think of having to drive themselves around, they have folks that do that for them, and it is the very least of their concerns.

A lot of people over there genuinely look at westerners like they are off their heads when they start telling them they are being oppressed. You have to understand this is a completely different culture they have been brought up in. But I understand that there are always many sides to every story that's for sure.

1 hour ago, ManDoon said:

Come on man. How is the US just as bad?  Name one state in the US that lawfully does this:

”Saudi Arabia has no criminal code and the primary source of law in the country the Islamic Sharia, derived from the Qur'an and the traditions of Muhammadcontained in the Sunnah. Homosexuality and being transgender are widely seen as immoral and indecent activities, and the law punishes acts of homosexuality or cross-dressing with fines, public whipping, beatings, chemical castrations,[1] imprisonment up to life, the death penalty(though it has not been applied for homosexuality alone)[5] and torture.[6]”

Fella look at the numbers of people still executed in the US, oh it’s very clinical and clean but the net effect is still the same. The whole criminal justice system over there is run for profit ffs, large swathes of the brown population incarcerated so that large corporations make money. And until G4S ballsed up over here, we were heading the same way. Yes it’s a different minority targeted, but that sure doesn’t make it any less fucked up.

9 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Is there any way to put a topic on ignore?

You either watch top level football or you don’t. 

I genuinely think this might be the most important thread in the coming years.  Something everyone should at least skim through now and then.

Guest HTT II

The US is the most frightening country in the world for me when it comes to peoples rights and especially their foreign policy. They put Mexicans in pens and separate their kids from their parents, they taser black school kids that’s when they aren't randomly killing them and of course they bomb the fuck out of whoever they like.

As evil a regime as any and they do it, like with the UK, under the umbrella of whey yer know, women can at least drive and the gays are not executed etc. The UK are just as bad. It’s all bad really, only the good is in the people, the real people not your politicians and corps who are as bent, corrupt, evil and fucked to as each other, but the good of people.

Again it wasn’t JFK that gave black Americans their rights, dignity and right of place in the US it was themselves. It wasn’t whoever politician that made the rights of gay people that of everyone else, but themselves. And so on and so on. 

Edited by HTT II

49 minutes ago, B-more Mag said:

I wasn't doing any particular ranking or comparisons of wrongs in my post--simply pointing out that it's completely normal and rational for me to be able to love my home country while still being horrified by things my country does. In the same way, it's perfectly normal and rational for us to be able to continue to love and support the club while also being horrified by things the KSA does. It's part of the calculus of every day life.

Just for clarity this is my take on things too. You’re certainly not going to be seeing me giving the Saudi's any positive PR, it’s more just a case of getting annoyed by the direction of travel in the U.K. since 2016 and a lot of people's deliberate myopia over what this government has done in the recent past and continues to do.

I mean the US has done, and does untold murderous damage in the world and gets away with a veneer of respectability - and agree there's a whole lot of hypocrisy in the way US and Europe talk about big bad eastern states - but I also think it'd be grim if the US state bought us. But they haven't, the Saudis have, so the fact that would also be bad doesn't help my issues with the Saudi takeover.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

4 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

How do you mean?  The thread is opened by you clicking on it? I don’t post on the MLB thread for instance. I don’t get what you mean.

Oh ! I thought you meant this thread in particular but you meant some threads in general.

I agree fwiw.

5 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

So that’s my point. Liverpool and Man U are owned by Americans.

You either get into what’s happening or you don’t - which I fully understand

And we should never discuss our owners other than who they are buying for us?

That's never happened here in all my time supporting the club.