The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

21 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Nah that’s not straw man.

You either get behind this or you never watch top flight football again. 

The thing to me is that it's not binary. You can support the club and the the takeover and not one bit diminish your ability to criticize the KSA, if you want to. Or not -- and it doesn't mean you support the KSA.

Edited by B-more Mag

2 minutes ago, B-more Mag said:

The thing to me is that it's not binary. You can support the club and the the takeover and not one bit diminish your ability to criticism the KSA, if you want to. Or not -- and it doesn't mean you support the KSA.

He understands this concept and is just on the wind up. I hope. 

what the fuck? :lol: :lol: yeah man, citizens of a country, paupers and billionaires alike, are directly responsible for their government's actions simply by dint of geographic birth. totally, equally accountable, sure. :lol: Fenway Sports Group is the House of Saud, agreed, strange i never looked at it this way before.

4 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

America do not own us. The people that own Liverpool and Man United are private citizens. They are rich private citizens. 

Which is true, however there is some evidence that Russian and Chinese citizens, however rich, don't have the same freedom and can only spend their wealth with the agreement, if not behest of their nations rulers. I've posted in the past from Catherine Belton's book on Putin about the Abramovic link.

4 minutes ago, thomas said:

what the fuck? :lol: :lol: yeah man, citizens of a country, paupers and billionaires alike, are directly responsible for their government's actions simply by dint of geographic birth. totally, equally accountable, sure. :lol: Fenway Sports Group is the House of Saud, agreed, strange i never looked at it this way before.

Love it when the Sandersistas get bone hard for big Malk Glazer ;)

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

Interesting, I will check if out. I don’t by any means think Abramovic is good guy, but people comparing Fenway to Saudis is absurd. They are just rich guys. We are the only ones with a direct link to a Gov hence the news cycle and the discussion. 

The Abramovic bit is going to court so has obviously touched a nerve.

12 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Where is your line in the sand?

Where is yours?

What if the club start putting out Saudi flags for fans to wave? (as an example)

It's almost certain we'll be paraded in friendlies over there. You happy with that? Or what happens if they start pushing for overseas league games in Riyadh?

I just don't see this as a binary in or out choice personally.

Edited by UncleBingo

Just now, UncleBingo said:

Where is yours?

What if the club start putting out Saudi flags for fans to wave? (as an example)

It's almost certain we'll be paraded in friendlies over there. You happy with that?

I just don't see this as a binary in or out choice personally.

Yes because Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City and Manure all wave their flags 

5 minutes ago, Disco said:

Love it when the Sandersistas get bone hard for big Malk Glazer ;)

I mean they're the kind of banal exploitative evil found throughout our weird somewhat-untethered western capitalism. There's at least the hypothetical possibility of them being reined in with regulations or legislation instead of acting with impunity as rulers.

4 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Yes because Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City and Manure all wave their flags 

It was a hypothetical question as well you know. 

Just wanted to see what your line in the sand is?

P.s. We had a French day in the past, it's not beyond the realms of possibility to suggest a KSA day could happen.

Edited by UncleBingo

Just now, thomas said:

I mean they're the kind of banal exploitative evil found throughout our weird somewhat-untethered western capitalism. There's at least the hypothetical possibility of them being reined in with regulations or legislation instead of acting with impunity as rulers.

That’s absolutely pathetic tbh. The west have fucked a lot of people over and more.  

I think ( i hope ) the point TM is making is you also have a choice - if so aggrieved by the Saudi State you can always choose to not have anything to do with NUFC ( at least until they sell us on at some far distant point ) , dont go to games / buy merch and your conscience is clear . You could use your spare time to campaign in some form against them ? Just a suggestion and no im not suggesting you are not allowed to criticise - go right ahead but walk it like you talk it 

Just now, UncleBingo said:

It was a hypothetical question as well you know. 

Just wanted to see what your line in the sand is?

Very much a hypothetical line in the sand though and folk are well disposed to give answers based on what they like to think they'd do (or would like to be seen to do) as opposed to what they would actually do.  Sometime people arent to honest until the situation actually arises.