Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Gotta say, if someone with a time machine told you on 8th November that the new manager would have won 1 game and seen us knocked out at home of the FA Cup in the 3rd round to Cambridge by 8th Jan you'd be bitterly, bitterly disappointed.

Howe has improved us tactically, to claim otherwise is pure revisionism built upon post match fewm after one admittedly unforgivable, rancid result. We should've beaten Brentford, Darlow was a bellend. We should've had a pen in the first half at Arsenal. We went down to 10 men v Norwich after 9 minutes and still deserved to win the game and probably would've won 11v11. Strength of our 2nd half display v Burnley warranted the result we got. Leicester got a bollocks penalty at 0-0 which would've been a fair reflection of that match after 45 minutes, second half was poor but the game wasn't a 4-0 on the balance of it. A goal that is stopped in the buildup 9/10 times and an individual error v Liverpool. Clark being shit, individual errors and shite refereeing cost us v Man City which wasn't on the balance a 0-4 game. Man Utd we deserved to win.

Today he deserves flak as the result is just purely embarrassing. Even though he's trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, he's clearly improved us tactically. Today doesn't change that.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

9 minutes ago, Pilko said:

I don't know, but I'd never have had Howe in the first place and I've said it since he was appointed.

Oh just do us all a favour and flick off!

People here have similar reactions to society today on anything and everything - it’s either pure joy or pure depression and complaining. There is no balance. 

Howe has a shit squad and is dealing with injuries and COVID impact to the squad. He sent out a team of premier league footballers (debatable tbh) and they created enough chances to win the game, they just didn’t “Put in the netttttttt!” (John Ando voice). His subs were poor and he never really was able to turn it around once we were down, deserves criticism for that.

The players are also to blame: sloppy, lacked focused, didn’t stay onside, didn’t execute the original game plan and lost to a lower league side.

What is absolutely certain is we need players and we need to replace nearly ever single player in the squad in the next 2-3 transfer windows. Now whether Howe is the man to take us on past this one and the next one rests solely on how or if he and this squad performs. 

8 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Howe has improved us tactically, to claim otherwise is pure revisionism built upon post match fewm after one admittedly unforgivable, rancid result. We should've beaten Brentford, Darlow was a bellend. We should've had a pen in the first half at Arsenal. We went down to 10 men v Norwich after 9 minutes and still deserved to win the game and probably would've won 11v11. Strength of our 2nd half display v Burnley warranted the result we got. Leicester got a bollocks penalty at 0-0 which would've been a fair reflection of that match after 45 minutes, second half was poor but the game wasn't a 4-0 on the balance of it. A goal that is stopped in the buildup 9/10 times and an individual error v Liverpool. Clark being shit, individual errors and shite refereeing cost us v Man City which wasn't on the balance a 0-4 game. Man Utd we deserved to win.

Today he deserves flak as the result is just purely embarrassing. Even though he's trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, he's clearly improved us tactically. Today doesn't change that.

Not to have a go at Howe ( he was never my pick but I’m fully behind him), but it was almost impossible not to improve us tactically after the last couple of seasons with Bruce. 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not to have a go at Howe ( he was never my pick but I’m fully behind him), but it was almost impossible not to improve us tactically after the last couple of seasons with Bruce. 

Probably true, but to claim that he's made 'virtually no impact' is utterly false.

Guest HTT II
Just now, elbee909 said:

The latter usually means you want someone replaced, no? Seems equivalent in context.

Not really, one is a suggestion, the other is actually demanding or requesting. 

Just now, ExiledGeordie said:

The performance against Man Utd shows what Howe can do but getting them to perform consistently is the issue. 

Could also argue though that we have for the last few season, even under Bruce performed well against the big teams at home.

2 minutes ago, Dan Gleebals said:

That result will have one of two outcomes. A big fat kick up the arse or they implode. 

No getting away from how shit this squad is, fucking useless.

Agreed and today was a reminder of just how diabolical they can be. I was feeling quite optimistic recently but that’s properly kicked me in the knackered today lol 

The lack of consistent performances from the players has more to do with the lack of quality and mentality of these players and their lack of ability, lack of tactical awareness, lack of confidence. If you turn all of that around you get consistency. Top players are consistent. Ours are not top players. They sway between good, OK, sometimes brilliant. 

Just now, Kanji said:

The lack of consistent performances from the players has more to do with the lack of quality and mentality of these players and their lack of ability, lack of tactical awareness, lack of confidence. If you turn all of that around you get consistency. Top players are consistent. Ours are not top players. They sway between good, OK, sometimes brilliant. 

I think if we can add some quality additions and cobble together a few wins to build confidence we’ll stay up. Otherwise we’ll go down with a whimper 

Howe certainly made the right noises to get the job, I was a little underwhelmed when he came in but I wasn't gutted. Hindsight, maybe this was more bite than he could chew but to say he's done nothing is blatantly ignoring the disjointed, defeatist, toothless mess Bruce left. There's much more cohesion and intent in the way we play now but the players can't match what's being asked of them, whether that be through inability or disinterest.

We've got Howe until at least the end of the season, he deserves his chance with his own players, only then can he be judged effectively. When has changing a manager twice in a season ever lead to anything other than relegation? 

Imperative that we get in at least 2 more players before Watford and pray they hit the ground running. Right now is the epitome of rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic with this bunch.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Obviously we would be having a different conversation if we had simply taken one of the many chances in the first half.

Also true. Not to take anything away from Cambridge as they worked their bollocks off but they created nowt. Their goal is Dubravka's fault and Schar's header just before it was awful. Their keeper was sublime and pulled off 2 great saves (also thought his distribtution was excellent) but we did enough to win the game in spite of how clueless we looked in the second half.

22 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Like I said typical fan post match hysteria or reaction, I’ve probably did the same with KK and definitely Sir Bobby, don’t pretend you haven’t had similar thoughts after a bad result, set of results, performances etc. It’s natural fan reactions man FFS!

This is true. Wasting my time going through that, you spoke  a lot of sense up to that point where you snapped.

Really strange how the battle lines are almost the exact same as they were then, apart from Pilko. Reading through that was a serious case of deja vu. It was a grim run, mind you, but there was a lot of, "Rafa has lost the plot. doesn't know what he's doing. No shape. Terrible substitutions..." Tbf there were a fair few more claiming that they are being oppressed by the Rafa clique then.

I mean FFS, even my comments sound the exact same.

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Also true. Not to take anything away from Cambridge as they worked their bollocks off but they created nowt. Their goal is Dubravka's fault and Schar's header just before it was awful. Their keeper was sublime and pulled off 2 great saves (also thought his distribtution was excellent) but we did enough to win the game in spite of how clueless we looked in the second half.

First half felt like a matter of time for a win, even the second half we were dominant but as soon as that goal went in they panicked, lost all sensibilities and fluffed at everything. Sugar glass nerves.