Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Guest dazzanufc1892
1 minute ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

I did think if we go down he'd be kept on.

However, that was pre Trippier and if they come Botman, Carlos etc.

If he takes us down after that level of investment I don't see PIF keeping him on even if Staveley and Reuben would like him to.

Yeah this is the issue, I dont see how the club would still have him in 18 months if we stay up. Especially not with the current ambition the club are showing in the market.

It wasn't a great appointment but its what we have at the moment and he should be judged on the same merit of everybody else. There is improvement but I cant believe that wouldnt have happened with any manager given what was there before them. The next month will be telling and ultimately define where we will be come August and who will be at the helm.

4 minutes ago, kisearch said:

Didn't you watch the match before this one? The results haven't come yet, but I dunno how anyone can't see a huge improvement in how we play and the dedication of most of the players.

Of course I watched the Man United game. It's one thing raising your game to face that lot, but what happened today was a shambles. And lets face it - it's not one off, either. A losing mentality has gripped this club for far too long. It needs sorting, but it's going to take a long time. A relegation may have to come for this to happen - to get shot of those who are merely only interested in collecting their wage packets.

Just now, HTT II said:

Crowd were fully behind him today, towards the end any anger was directed towards the players. 

As they should be tbh as we all need to be pulling in the same direction but, fuck me, he's had a mare today.

Just now, NEEJ said:

Looking through our squad, there's only Wilson who's scored goals consistently at this level throughout his career. Gayle has never been up to it. Of the rest, Ritchie probably comes closest but he's been finished for years. 

It's a huge problem and one that needs fixing immediately with new blood. 

Yep, happy to see the defence strengthened but I hope Howe is making it clear just how important it is to get goals into this team. This attack would see us relegated even with prime Baresi and Maldini at the back. 

8 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

Someone needs to have a word with Howe, and quick.

Plenty of managers lose games at Newcastle.  But the crowd turns fast if you insult their intelligence - and that’s what Howe is doing there.  Fucking Pardew-esque bullshit.  Come out, be honest, say it isn’t good enough and apologise.  Because today is a black day in the club’s history.

And defeat vs Watford at the weekend will expose him to real criticism following this.

The only positive I can think of is that this might make the ownership pull their fingers out of their arse and get some signings in.  I’m still astonished that the window has been open over a week and there is only one through the door.  They don’t have the luxury of time. 

Nonsense, man. He's trying to protect whatever remains of the squad's confidence.

They're shot to pieces and, as much as we'd like to start over, we're stuck with the majority of this shitshow of a group until the summer. 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

He also said he's looking forward to getting some new players in. He's not going to insult the current bunch even though they are shit, he's relying on them. That's actually good management. 

Saying ‘that wasn’t good enough’ isn’t insulting the team.  If anything, defending that performance is a bigger insult.  It’s piss-poor management.  He doesn’t need to single anyone out.  Standards need to be a lot higher than that.  If the manager can’t come out and say that today was a collective failure, then we might as well give up now. 

Just now, Big Geordie said:

Of course I watched the Man United game. It's one thing raising your game to face that lot, but what happened today was a shambles. And lets face it - it's not one off, either. A losing mentality has gripped this club for far too long. It needs sorting, but it's going to take a long time. A relegation may have to come for this to happen - to get shot of those who are merely only interested in collecting their wage packets.

I have thought about this. But i worry that some of the shite players might end up being kept on, if we go down because it becomes more their level :lol:

2 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

Looking through our squad, there's only Wilson who's scored goals consistently at this level throughout his career. Gayle has never been up to it. Of the rest, Ritchie probably comes closest but he's been finished for years. 

It's a huge problem and one that needs fixing immediately with new blood. 

Said this in the match thread, why is Wilson the only one capable of scoring a goal? Back in the days when Brazil were world beaters, they didn't even have a decent striker, but their midfield was Socrates, Zico, Falcao and the other one who's name I forget. They scored plenty of goals. 

Guest HTT II
Just now, Minhosa said:

As they should be tbh as we all need to be pulling in the same direction but, fuck me, he's had a mare today.

He did, I’m wondering if most of the players seeing all these players being linked are thinking fuck it, we are going to be on the bench at best soon, fuck the club, that’s how they played today. Shelvey was a disgrace and Longstaf… one of the most donkey type performances I’ve ever seen. St Minimum is playing for himself, the rest lack structure and are going through the motions! 

3 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

Nonsense, man. He's trying to protect whatever remains of the squad's confidence.

They're shot to pieces and, as much as we'd like to start over, we're stuck with the majority of this shitshow of a group until the summer. 

Pep said similar on All or Nothing. 

He'll have read the riot act in private, but creating distance in public is the quickest way to losing them. 

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

He did, I’m wondering if most of the players seeing all these players being linked are thinking fuck it, we are going to be on the bench at best soon, fuck the club, that’s how they played today. Shelvey was a disgrace and Longstaf… one of the most donkey type performances I’ve ever seen. St Minimum is playing for himself, the rest lack structure and are going through the motions! 

Exactly the same thought crossed my mind. New brush, sweeping clean, new players all earning miles more than them..............are the no hopers now just calling it in until they leave?

Feels that way.

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

That's one I can't fathom. How do you fit Shelvey into a modern pressing formation? I really thought Shelvey would be one of the first players to get the boot, but Howe seems to rate him. Bizarre.

I think Howe would have come across a lot better if he'd just said something along the lines of;

We're really disappointed with the result and the performance today. Credit to Cambridge, but individually and collectively we just didn't do well enough, and I include myself in that. We'll be working hard to improve all across the pitch and take what lessons we can learn from it.

Then leave it there. Of course, maybe he did say something like that and the quote is just cherry picked from other stuff he's said. But looking for positives in a poor defeat is always a bit annoying.

I do think some of his team selections and subs have been a bit questionable at times so far, but he won't get everything right, no manager does, and I'm still a fan. Bad day at the office today, mind.

We have to be careful, he is the very best we could have got at the time 100%, there are some massive rebuilding stuff to do at this club, be patient ffs ,it could take years.

The most damning thing about the Howe era so far is that while aspects of our play have improved, we still look soft as shite and extremely easy to beat. Nothing has really changed in that sense.

:lol: Is losing at home to Cambridge acceptable? If your answer is no then surely those culpable deserve stick. Howe and the team will get heat when we get humiliated like that and will be lauded for wins and good performances.

That’s not bi-polar, that’s football ffs.

The pool of players available today was grim tbh. I don't really hold Howe to blame for that but I hope this result makes our transfer business speed up as it should have left the owners in no doubt as to how badly the signings are needed as this group of players are losers.

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, alijmitchell said:

The most damning thing about the Howe era so far is that while aspects of our play have improved, we still look soft as shite and extremely easy to beat. Nothing has really changed in that sense.

Some people have said we look better defensively as a unit, I don't see that tbh.  We were terrible defensively today when Cambridge attacked us.