Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

4 minutes ago, Elephant said:

In all fairness, if Bruce managed to keep this team with these players in Premier League last season, then we seriously need to start asking more from Howe.

He is nice bloke and says good things, but can’t help thinking what these results had been with Emery.

Bruce had this team winless and on trajectory to be comfortably one of the worst premier league teams of all time. That's what Howe inherited, not the team that finished last season.

The names might be the same, but the rot is the problem. Momentum is a hard thing to turn around in football. 

1 minute ago, Andy said:

Bruce had this team winless and on trajectory to be comfortably one of the worst premier league teams of all time. That's what Howe inherited, not the team that finished last season.

The names might be the same, but the rot is the problem. Momentum is a hard thing to turn around in football. 

This.

Just now, Menace said:

Not wanting him as manager initially because I thought he's completely the wrong man for the job at heart is being pedantic apparently

You apparently need a brushing up on what pedantic means then, dude. You were being pedantic about pointing out the offhand 560 page comment, knowing full well what I meant.

5 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

1 win in 9 and knocked out the cup by a league 1 side.  He'd be getting a far rougher ride at quite a few other clubs.

:thup: its hardly unreasonable to give him some criticism. It doesn't mean i want him sacked though.

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

Also agree with this but if I was playing devils advocate Bruce would constantly say “I can’t change the style of play overnight l!!11”

I think the issue there was that was that he was trying to change a style of play that was effective to begin with, without understanding it. It just came across as tone deaf. 

23 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

He keeps us up and he’s done his first job.

The first few months of KK’s first spell were pretty bad as well. The following season was when we kicked on 

It wasn't great at towards the end of 91/92, but at least we saw some fight.

That's not present with this lot.

11 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

So just criticism of him after losing at home to league 1 Cambridge = forum mood of wanting him sacked.  Yes, some had said he's shite etc but that is not a forum mood.

That's one of the worst takes I can remember.

As a result  of today, there's been people making personal insults at the manager, folk worrying potential targets will be put off and others commenting that we're relegated.

That's obviously rationale criticism of the manager (which is absolutely fair game) though?

35 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Someone needs to have a word with Howe, and quick.

Plenty of managers lose games at Newcastle.  But the crowd turns fast if you insult their intelligence - and that’s what Howe is doing there.  Fucking Pardew-esque bullshit.  Come out, be honest, say it isn’t good enough and apologise.  Because today is a black day in the club’s history.

And defeat vs Watford at the weekend will expose him to real criticism following this.

The only positive I can think of is that this might make the ownership pull their fingers out of their arse and get some signings in.  I’m still astonished that the window has been open over a week and there is only one through the door.  They don’t have the luxury of time. 

2 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

It wasn't great at towards the end of 91/92, but at least we saw some fight.

That's not present with this lot.

Didn't you watch the match before this one? The results haven't come yet, but I dunno how anyone can't see a huge improvement in how we play and the dedication of most of the players.

1 minute ago, MarkyMark said:

Plenty of managers lose games at Newcastle.  But the crowd turns fast if you insult their intelligence - and that’s what Howe is doing there.  Fucking Pardew-esque bullshit.  Come out, be honest, say it isn’t good enough and apologise.  Because today is a black day in the club’s history.

And defeat vs Watford at the weekend will expose him to real criticism following this.

The only positive I can think of is that this might make the ownership pull their fingers out of their arse and get some signings in.  I’m still astonished that the window has been open over a week and there is only one through the door.  They don’t have the luxury of time. 

:lol:

8 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

What are you talking about? The point is, Howe could (and should) be getting more from this group of players.

I like Howe's football philosophy so if he wants to stick to it, I will back him. I think it will look better once we get players who are good enough to implement it. 

Guest dazzanufc1892

My only problem with Howe was if we stay up, if he good enough to attract top players and is he a top 10 manager. I dont believe the answer is yes so if we stay up, he would have to go.

Alternatively, if we go down, will that be a failure to the level he needs to go & if he doesnt, is he good enough to get us promoted. Once again I wouldn't retain him.

Taking both in to consideration and having no answers as yes, I wouldnt have gone for him in the first place as ultimately, he wont be here in 6 months dependant on what happens in either event.

Just now, dazzanufc1892 said:

My only problem with Howe was if we stay up, if he good enough to attract top players and is he a top 10 manager. I dont believe the answer is yes so if we stay up, he would have to go.

Alternatively, if we go down, will that be a failure to the level he needs to go & if he doesnt, is he good enough to get us promoted. Once again I wouldn't retain him.

Taking both in to consideration and having no answers as yes, I wouldnt have gone for him in the first place as ultimately, he wont be here in 6 months dependant on what happens in either event.

"My only problem with Howe is that he's not good enough" :lol:

Not criticizing your post. Just find that funny.

Guest neesy111
4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

As a result  of today, there's been people making personal insults at the manager, folk worrying potential targets will be put off and others commenting that we're relegated.

That's obviously rationale criticism of the manager (which is absolutely fair game) though?

Who's made a personal insult at him?

Just now, dazzanufc1892 said:

I did think if we go down he'd be kept on.

However, that was pre Trippier and if they come Botman, Carlos etc.

If he takes us down after that level of investment I don't see PIF keeping him on even if Staveley and Reuben would like him to.

Looking through our squad, there's only Wilson who's scored goals consistently at this level throughout his career. Gayle has never been up to it. Of the rest, Ritchie probably comes closest but he's been finished for years. 

It's a huge problem and one that needs fixing immediately with new blood. 

6 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

He also said he's looking forward to getting some new players in. He's not going to insult the current bunch even though they are shit, he's relying on them. That's actually good management.