Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

If anything surely Eddie is even safer as he has a built in excuse (not that he is that type of manager), for any potential downturn in form due to the injuries.

If you applied a similar magnitude of injuries to key players to any other squad in the league then they’d also be struggling.

Christ, I forgot just how barren the international break is for most football hacks.  If Howe’s under pressure then I think I give up.  Where exactly are we that we shouldn’t be - and how would the situation have been improved with someone else managing us?

I can picture in the not-too-distant future the ownership (and I mean the actual owners - not Staveley and Reuben) becoming ruthless with Howe; once the squad is fully recycled and a lot of money is sunk, then winning trophies and qualifying for the CL will no doubt be a minimum expectation.  But right now?  

In my heart of hearts, I don't really take this talk too seriously. But it's why I think any sign of dissent is very significant and we need to be as overt and consistent in our support as possible. It's as though some people have no idea how quickly the wheels can come off.

Who is saying Howe is under pressure - the media?

3 games ago we beat arsenal having previously thrashed manure in the Cup.

Sure howe isn't above criticism, but to suggest his job might be under threat is nuts in my opinion. 

Just hope fans stick with him and the team at the present time, I'm sure they will as to do anything else would be frankly ridiculous. 

Thought it might be interesting to look at our record under Eddie. Across seasons and years (not many of either obvs!) 

IMG_7575.thumb.jpeg.1ecbd6986c98a632216fa5229fc1dedd.jpegBest performance is when sliced for 2022 as a calendar year. 36 games 58% win record, and 2.0 points per game (ppg)— good enough for second in eight (of the 31 Prem seasons) and good enough for third on 23 occasions. 

I think the ‘since January 2022’ gives the fairest picture of his reign to date. Half a dozen games to bed in, one transfer window and since then a 54% win rate and 1.87 ppg over 69 games. This ppg was equalled for last season (and in 2001-02) and has only been bettered by us in one whole season: 1995-96, 2.05ppg. 

I'm at the point now where I love Eddie so much, I think I'd almost throw the towel in if he left. 

Of course I wouldn't, but Eddie has made me fall in love again and honestly would take me a good few weeks to get over him leaving even if we were in a rough patch. 

I can understand why Bournemouth hurt so much when he left and why they still talk and sing about him. It would be very hard to get over. 

Fucking hell, it's like talking of breaking up. Gotta get a big old grip me. 

:thup: it's true mind, when I'm in the haze of a great result I think to myself I'd love for him to stay for 10 years plus, and keep growing with us. Just love the way he carries himself, how he represents the club, the togetherness he's created, how we bow down to nobody anymore, our intense and entertaining style, and the multitude of fantastic moments he's already given us.

I think/hope these reports that come out every time we lose a couple of games are from lazy journalists who want Newcastle to fail, so they're desperate for the owners to be impatient and trigger-happy. Think Staveley at least is acutely aware how lucky we struck it with Eddie though and would fight his corner even if we're in a really bad spot. We're massively on to a good thing here and hopefully we'll not do anything to compromise that. 

42 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Howe would be under pressure if the injuries were down to him and the results suffer like. I'd be surprised if 10-11 players out is down to him. 

I think there's a possibility that some of the injuries will be down to him and the style he has the players play. Not all players will be physically up to it, maybe including top ones like Isak.

BUT I'd say that's about cost-benefit analysis i.e. would players like Almiron have us anywhere near top 4 without it this approach? Uninjured and solid midtable isn't an improvement. So for the next couple of seasons it's about getting the most out of the players we have, and frequently that will involve having players who are not both incredibly talented and super athletes. You only get a full squad of those when you're at the tippy top level for a long period of time.

52 minutes ago, Lish007 said:

I'm at the point now where I love Eddie so much, I think I'd almost throw the towel in if he left. 

Of course I wouldn't, but Eddie has made me fall in love again and honestly would take me a good few weeks to get over him leaving even if we were in a rough patch. 

I can understand why Bournemouth hurt so much when he left and why they still talk and sing about him. It would be very hard to get over. 

Yeah I get it. Given how far detached I'd become from feeling like a normal supporter under Ashley/Bruce, and given the moral question marks over our redemption; I had no business rekindling such a significant emotional investment so quickly. The post-takeover era is defined by Eddie Howe and this team that he's created in his own image. It would be heartbreaking if he were to leave in a premature fashion; I might default to being emotionally a bit lost, which I think I would've experienced had we not appointed a total diamond of a bloke. 

I am not having this creeping negativity in this season. We have beaten Man United, Man City, Arsenal, PSG Aston Villa, half of those with a depleted squad and throw in a fun 8 goal romp. Yes the amount of matches has caught up to us, yes getting top 4 will be very tough as it was always going to be but quite frankly I am not prepared to give a shit yet. I still just want to enjoy without pressure. I am sure in 5 years time when the squad is deep with international talent and many billions are spent the threat of finishing 3rd will summon anger at underachievement from me, but quite frankly any Newcastle fan should be embarrassed to feel the slightest twang of anger or self pity about it. Howe's job should be one of the safest in the league and there is no indication from club I can see that indicates otherwise. A lot of journalists are desperate for our ownership to be incompetent and impatient which they have shown no sign of. (Yes they may also be evil mind)

Edited by Tiresias

2 hours ago, Lish007 said:

It'd be Keegan all over again for me. Back then 13 year old me spend hours listening to the news he was gone for hours on the radio. Couldn't comprehend it. 

Edited by Joe1984

1 hour ago, Bellis80 said:

Is no way any normal person would sack him but we have no idea yet how the owners will react to a bad run.

1. We aren't in a bad run.

2. There's no such thing as normal people in football.

3. Our owners have showed incredible restraint, despite what people thought was going to happen after our takeover.

Eddie Howe is under very little pressure. I don't need to see any more from him to know he's the real deal. He's the epitome of form is temporary/class is permanent.

I thought we were just discussing the hypothetical scenario where he comes under pressure? Obviously there's nothing about our current form that would vindicate any pressure right now, but it'll definitely happen at some point. Probably soon, tbh, given the hideous upcoming fixture list and the absolute state of our squad.

I'm confident that this won't come to pass but it's plausible that, by Christmas: we're well-distanced from the top 4 race, out of the League Cup and out of Europe. That won't be his fault but the knives will definitely be getting sharpened by the press and the fanbase's idiots in that scenario.

Not that I wouldn't have faith in the owners to pick a good successor to Eddie (seeing as how Emery was on the shortlist as well), I just can't comprehend a world where he isn't our manager for the present and immediate future. I'd be astounded if people were genuinely up for him being sacked, even after a likely difficult period as you've alluded to, Yorkie, as for me, that will just be a small bump on a long road. Whilst the outlook doesn't look good right now with the injuries and fixtures, things could swing around again in January. Hell, he's done it before to save us from relegation, why not again to restore our season and clinch a top 6 finish?

One of the problems is our quick rise over the last 24 months has made it very easy for the journos to target the low hanging fruit as far as our fanbase goes. If we had a gradual build of momentum towards success they would still question Howe for the money spent, but the knives would be harder to sharpen had we not seen almost instantaneous success on the field and then feel it drop away a bit due to the squad being massacred by fitness issues. 

All I’m saying is, we should all be prepared for the idiots to come out of the woodwork and question management because we are heading into a rough patch with the squad as limited as it is. There were fans questioning Howe after the Liverpool result, let alone a sustained drop off in form. And we don’t even know for sure how much of a drop off it will end up being, if at all. But it is a big test for any manager.

Edited by Nine

1 hour ago, STM said:

1. We aren't in a bad run.

2. There's no such thing as normal people in football.

3. Our owners have showed incredible restraint, despite what people thought was going to happen after our takeover.

Eddie Howe is under very little pressure. I don't need to see any more from him to know he's the real deal. He's the epitome of form is temporary/class is permanent.

I don’t think we’re in a bad run but we have no idea about any of that. Anyone other than the owners saying he isn’t under pressure means nothing.

2 hours ago, Bellis80 said:

Is no way any normal person would sack him but we have no idea yet how the owners will react to a bad run.

They took a fair amount of time to appoint him, have hired all the right people in the right areas and have shown with transfers they are sensible and won't act desperate or be reactionary. There always seems to be the long term picture in mind. 

Obviously there is no way to know for certain how they'd act but from the moment he's been appointed there seems to be the narrative from non nufc people that he'd not last long and the owners would want to bring a 'big name' in. As soon as we lose a game or two there seems to be talk of it again from the outside. I think things would have to go catastrophically bad for them to even consider it.