Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, Jonas said:

Never ceases to amaze me how many people despite watching thousands of football matches think its automatic that the higher placed team beats the lower placed team despite the thousands of times that doesn't happen including when were the lower place team...like a few days ago.

Who thinks it’s automatic? 

There were excuses for the away game. Where we were awful and fatigued. But still should have done better.  

But today with the players we had available and being at home. I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect a much more composed performance and not to be comfortably outplayed and for large spells, out-passed by Luton Town. 

Been done hard by injuries and blatant corruption with that "handball" in Paris, but he's been too stubborn this season. Also can't seem to organise the defense anymore. 

I don't know... can the season just be over soon?

1 minute ago, 54 said:

That we're in a really scrappy game, and want to have leaders on the pitch? Something I can understand. 

We’ve plenty of leaders on the pitch man, fact is Burn was struggling and a change needed to be made to deal with their pace down that side of the pitch. You don’t need to take my word for it because we all know what happened next. 

I’m not a hater of Burn, I really like him and he’s been a big personality at the club since Howe came in but it’s ok to say he had a bad game and it was clear Tino going out there at half time would have been an improvement for us today. 

1 minute ago, Jonas said:

Never ceases to amaze me how many people despite watching thousands of football matches think its automatic that the higher placed team beats the lower placed team despite the thousands of times that doesn't happen including when were the lower place team...like a few days ago.

Yep.  Luton has 20 points and there are only three teams with fewer points than them.   So even if they’d already played their fixtures against them, there’d only be a maximum of 18 points from those fixtures.  So Luton must have taken points from teams above them.  Like we did against Villa midweek.  Funny old game, football.

4 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

At the very least he deserves a crack at the upcoming summer overhaul and making his mark with the new squad. 

I think it depends on his philosophy. If it's always to 'run a bit further, jump a bit higher' then that has a ceiling. Even the great Simeone has banged his head against that.

Coupled with EH's seeming reluctance to rotate (I'm talking about earlier in the season when it was possible) then I think the football heads above him at the club will think about alternatives.

I love EH as much as everyone else so I hope this is all a moody fallow period and the EH and the team adjusts the approach and finds another way to be successful, to evolve. 

2 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Who thinks it’s automatic? 

There were excuses for the away game. Where we were awful and fatigued. But still should have done better.  

But today with the players we had available and being at home. I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect a much more composed performance and not to be comfortably outplayed and for large spells, out-passed by Luton Town. 

This. It's not the result. Crazy things can happen in a game you can't legislate for and it gets away from you. Happens to everyone.

It's the performance. That's the key indicator.

We didn’t learn anything new today.  Howe tends to pick players that he likes and trusts, and usually makes tactical substitutions reactively - and this season, this has often been after chucking away an unnecessary goal or two.

If every game where it happens is as fun as this one was, I’d be ok.  Doubt his employers share this view, mind. 

12 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

At the very least he deserves a crack at the upcoming summer overhaul and making his mark with the new squad. 

Barring a disastrous end to the season, I agree.

I'm a bit conflicted on Howe. I love the way we try to play our way out from the back, and I still think it will work once we upgrade in a few positions, but he doesn't seem to have a Plan B. Against teams with certain attributes, i.e. pace and power, you do have to address that and not give them an open field. The game against Villa seemed like a turning point in that we sat off a bit and then exploited the space in behind when we won possession. Today the game was never in control beyond the first 20 mins.

The BDB/Tino conundrum is literally the only thing I really question him on. Everything else that’s happened this season there are massive amounts of mitigation.

Absolutely no way his position should be up for debate. Utterly deranged conversation to be having.

Edited by christ

Apologies @OpenCand @David Edgar let my emotions dictate during the game. Trying to clarify my thoughts.

Eddie Howe has credit in the bank, so did Dan Burn but for everyone the credit can diminish. People have different breaking points. Fair play, you wanted Burn out of the team sooner, i did want Livramento in my 11 but I wasn't as desperate to see Burn dropped. I thought he deserved a chance after last season.

Eddie Howe still has a ton of credit, Burns has run out. If Eddie keeps playing Burn, despite the evidence, his will diminish too.

Ultimately, I back Eddie but everyone has their blindspot.

I doubt anyone thinks Burn should start from here on out.

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

We didn’t learn anything new today.  Howe tends to pick players that he likes and trusts, and usually makes tactical substitutions reactively - and this season, this has often been after chucking away an unnecessary goal or two.

If every game where it happens is as fun as this one was, I’d be ok.  Doubt his employers share this view, mind. 

This sums it up pretty nicely :thup:

15 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

However exposed Burn was today, he has still put in some stellar performances recently. I also think he hasn’t cost us as much as Trippier’s little spell if fuckwittery cost us. 

Dont think you can compare Trippier and Burn. How many games have Trippier won us like? Plenty.

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I agree on point one and he should see subs quicker, so I kind of agree on point 2 but he's had few options.

On the "employers" point, sorry thats nonsense. Anyone with a football brain should be fully behind Howe.

1 minute ago, STM said:

I agree on point one and he should see subs quicker, so I kind of agree on point 2 but he's had few options.

On the "employers" point, sorry thats nonsense. Anyone with a football brain should be fully behind Howe.

You think he’s in a job if we get that result every week?  I don’t.

I wasn’t suggesting that his job should be in question - just that I’d happily watch crazy 4-4s every week, but ultimately that isn’t likely to be accepted by any board 

17 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

And again that is not a issue, the issue is leaving him on for as long as he did when everyone can see how bad he was.

Aye, but people are now using this to verify things like "Burn is always a liability against pace" and "Howe needs to change or the PIF will be impatient". It's shite people have been clamming for for ages, the former especially.

It was clear Burn was being roastex and it was confirmed in the 2nd half he shouod have come off, Howe made a massive error there, but Burn is not a shite LB (esoecially given his height) and it isn't absilutely obvious that Livramento should have started ahead of him.

We were top 4 last year with Burn apparently being carried by left wingers all season.

It's not the scoreline, or even the draw. It's the complete lack of control.

We didn't control Fulham, we did control Villa (for 75 mins) and now back to letting Luton run riot.

I don't even think we controlled the mackems the way I think we should.

Burn came in as an emergency leftback when Targett got injured at the start of last season. To then be still picked as starting leftback when we have tino sitting on the bench isn't great management. He's know more than a needs must player a backup at most. 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

You think he’s in a job if we get that result every week?  I don’t.

I wasn’t suggesting that his job should be in question - just that I’d happily watch crazy 4-4s every week, but ultimately that isn’t likely to be accepted by any board 

Of course I don't think he should be in a job if we draw every week but that's kind of an obvious point. 

If the board has even once questioned their backing of Howe, then I'd question my backing of them. (That's not to say we shouldn't have our eye on wider football incase things did go to shit, thats just smart business). 

If we performed like this with a fullish squad, my view would be wildy different. Next year is a big year. 

Agree on this with control. But difficult with these 3 central midfield players.
As it stands now, it's Hawaii football both ways.

Primarily wants a formation change. But is Howe willing to do that?

7 minutes ago, STM said:

Just like Howe is fully behind Burn? :lol:

Just now, STM said:

Of course I don't think he should be in a job if we draw every week but that's kind of an obvious point. 

If the board has even once questioned their backing of Howe, then I'd question my backing of them. (That's not to say we shouldn't have our eye on wider football incase things did go to shit, thats just smart business). 

If we performed like this with a fullish squad, my view would be wildy different. Next year is a big year. 

I agree, I was saying it tongue-in-cheek - often football boards don’t look for the same things fans do.  Wasn’t about our board, but football boards generally.

100% re next season.  The rest of this one has a slight ‘free hit’ feel barring disaster - we just aim to get as many points as we can and a cup run for now.