Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Barnes and Gordon were going to rotate. That includes in games, not just week to week. It would also allow Gordon, Wilson and Isak to rotate. It would also allow Gordon, Almiron and Murphy to rotate.

There's a reason none of this "squad rotation" people use as a stick to beat Howe with hasn't happened. We all know that. 

Worst thing we can do is give him the start of the season to see if he can get it going after investing more money in his style signings.

We either sack him in the summer or offer a new deal and believe in his project. Halfway house commitment never works. It's the sunderland way.

Would anyone really have suggested Gordon should be starting over Barnes before the season started? It's a huge credit to Gordon how well he's done this season but let's not be revisionist - he was a massively unknown quantity before the campaign kicked off, while Barnes was (and still is) a proven PL player.

5 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

He was redundant, is the point. We had 3-4 other spots that needed immediate upgrading. Almiron, Burn, Longstaff were never going to cut it.

100 million pound without an upgrade on any of extant squad is a massive miscalculation, and it's showing this season.

Were those players available within our budget? We had to sell Maxi to free up the space to sign a replacement plus Livramento for example. 

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

Barnes and Gordon were going to rotate. That includes in games, not just week to week. It would also allow Gordon, Wilson and Isak to rotate. It would also allow Gordon, Almiron and Murphy to rotate.

There's a reason none of this "squad rotation" people use as a stick to beat Howe with hasn't happened. We all know that. 

Our options for the left were much better than for the right, it's as simple as that. Signing Barnes who is limited in general play and only plays on the left is poor when you consider our right hand side. What we should have done is signing a left footed RW that is more of a creative wide man than Gordon on the left. This would give us much better balance and quality overall. Both the starting 11 and squad wise.

I have a feeling he will get the England job after the Euros - as much as I hope he will stay I think him taking over from Southgate could let the owners get the higher profile manager many think they want without the indignity of sacking Howe.

In terms of Barnes. We were on the verge of selling ASM, leaving Joelinton and an unproven Gordon as our left wing options. We bought a proven goal scorer, something we lacked out wide and in midfield.

Tonali was very obviously brought in to replace Longstaff.

We lost both for a long time due to a ban and a freak injury.

Just now, Ikon said:

Our options for the left were much better than for the right, it's as simple as that. Signing Barnes who is limited in general play and only plays on the left is poor when you consider our right hand side. What we should have done is signing a left footed RW that is more of a creative wide man than Gordon on the left. This would give us much better balance and quality overall. Both the starting 11 and squad wise.

Maybe that left footed RW just wasn't available? Maybe we actually tried? Maybe the Barnes signing was opportunistic because he became available at a decent price (which if he'd stayed fit, we'd have seen). 

We wouldn't be having this conversation if Barnes, Joelinton and Willock hadn't been out for so long.

Just now, Ikon said:

Chances are, if we'd kept Maxi, we'd not have signed Barnes or Livramento. Howe pretty much alluded to this at the time. It gave us some wiggle room.

Short-term this season it might have made us better, but what about when the time came to replace Trippier for instance. Would a player like Livramento have been available to us? 

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Speculating, I think we wanted two capable players in every position. We had that on the right, but if we wanted to use Joelinton primarily as a CM, we didn't on the left.

Just now, Shearergol said:

Maybe that left footed RW just wasn't available? Maybe we actually tried? Maybe the Barnes signing was opportunistic because he became available at a decent price (which if he'd stayed fit, we'd have seen). 

We wouldn't be having this conversation if Barnes, Joelinton and Willock hadn't been out for so long.

I've been against the signing of Barnes in a way from the beginning. Said he's a good effective player but not the type we need or for that side either. 

Fucking crazy that people are talking about moving Howe on. Give your heads a shake.

Still 100% backing from me. 4th last year, and the escape the year before, were miracles. This year, 4th was always going to be much harder than last year just because of the extra games, and other teams strengthening around us. 7th would've always been an "OK" season this year.

Throw in Tonali's ban and an injury crisis the likes of which we've never seen before and the season is a write-off. We just need to limp home and try again next year. If 7th was decent coming into this season, 11th isn't sacking level when you consider the above too. It's barely even disappointing. If anything, it's inevitable given what's happened.

I'd be gutted if he left, and absolutely devastated if some dinosaur like Mourinho came in to replace him.

5 minutes ago, simonsays said:

I have a feeling he will get the England job after the Euros - as much as I hope he will stay I think him taking over from Southgate could let the owners get the higher profile manager many think they want without the indignity of sacking Howe.

So wrong. 

Just now, Ikon said:

I've been against the signing of Barnes in a way from the beginning. Said he's a good effective player but not the type we need or for that side either. 

As fans we're never gonna get the exact team we want to see. I make it pretty clear that I want to see a Rodri type in this side, but it's not gonna happen. I'm not gonna blame Howe for it - weirdly the proven Premier league manager thinks differently to a guy sat on his laptop. That doesn't make the transfer window a disaster* - the suspension and injuries are the disaster.

* The Hall thing is a bit weird though, admittedly.

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Chances are, if we'd kept Maxi, we'd not have signed Barnes or Livramento. Howe pretty much alluded to this at the time. It gave us some wiggle room.

Short-term this season it might have made us better, but what about when the time came to replace Trippier for instance. Would a player like Livramento have been available to us? 

I think Tino is the right signing to do though. Not Barnes. I see Barnes as a bit of waste of money compared to Tino who has massive potential as well as already being very good. Even if not replacing Trippier directly.

I dont think Barnes is the right choice, neither is he a good "investment". Tino was worth the spend even if not starting straight away.

Edited by Ikon

3 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Fucking crazy that people are talking about moving Howe on. Give your heads a shake.

Still 100% backing from me. 4th last year, and the escape the year before, were miracles. This year, 4th was always going to be much harder than last year just because of the extra games, and other teams strengthening around us. 7th would've always been an "OK" season this year.

Throw in Tonali's ban and an injury crisis the likes of which we've never seen before and the season is a write-off. We just need to limp home and try again next year. If 7th was decent coming into this season, 11th isn't sacking level when you consider the above too. It's barely even disappointing. If anything, it's inevitable given what's happened.

I'd be gutted if he left, and absolutely devastated if some dinosaur like Mourinho came in to replace him.

It's absolutely crazy to even be discussing it, and doing it would reflect extremely badly on the owners. Personally I've had enough of supporting a circus. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

I think Tino is the right signing to do though. Not Barnes. I see Barnes as a bit of waste of money compared to Tino who has massive potential as well as already being very good. Even if not replacing Trippier directly.

I dont think Barnes is the right choice, neither is he a good "investment".

I'm not sure about Barnes TBH. One thing we needed was goals from wide areas and Barnes is all about that. I don't think there is another more natural goalscorer in the squad outside of Isak and Wilson. 

It's true that it's a shame he plays the same side as Gordon, but we do want good options and Gordon himself is very versatile. 

Ultimately if Barnes had stayed fit we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I'm not sure about Barnes TBH. One thing we needed was goals from wide areas and Barnes is all about that. I don't think there is another more natural goalscorer in the squad outside of Isak and Wilson. 

It's true that it's a shame he plays the same side as Gordon, but we do want good options and Gordon himself is very versatile. 

Ultimately if Barnes had stayed fit we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. 

Injuries can't be an excuse though dude.

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Maybe between us no, but i've been against the Barnes signing to a degree from the beginning, for many reasons.

Edited by Ikon

The only thing I'm genuinely annoyed about is how he's handled Gordon and a few others in the last month or so.

The rest is kind of 'whatever, see you in August.'

One huge reason we had the best defence in the league last season and not so much this season, was because we had Pope, we had a consistent eleven that didn't see many injuries, and was rarely meddled with, we also had natural leaders in the first eleven more often than this season, Trippier, Wilson, Joelinton, Burn, Pope.

Right now we've got an inconsistent eleven, missing leaders, and players playing their first season and still learning the game.