Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I could see Howe playing Barnes Isak and Gordon as our front 3 the first match of the season irrespective of who we sign to play RW. Assuming Barnes will be playing a ton of minutes this preseason and Gordon’s versatility will push him there. 

38 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Not a great source but Harry Redknap has said that he’s heard that The FA will approach Nufc and EH and he thinks he both should and will take it. 

I don’t want it to happen but IF it’s gonna happen then asap please. Would be gutted but not the end of the world. Club is more important than one man. We move on. 

Yeah, sooner rather than later is the key. There are some impressive managers out of work with good PL track records, so it wouldn't be the end of the world but it would be a real shame

35 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I think we relied too much on opportunistic transfers. Rather than a great profile match.  We wouldn’t sign a 19 year old LB ideally but Hall was available so we got him. We liked Barnes at the fee, knew Leicester would be willing sellers - let’s get him in.  Trippier might be outright #1 for Howe but Livra is too good to pass on, another £35m.  

It’s only Tonali where he was the exact profile and player we wanted for the first team. Which is why he was the only one straight into the XI. Barnes got some minutes regularly when fit even if off the bench. The other 2 though……

Yeah, it does seem as though there was a big focus on buying value. Which is a nice enough idea, but maybe wasn't right at the time.

I say 'maybe' as I think I'm right in saying that even if we'd signed literally no one last summer, we'd have still required at least one major sale before the PSR deadline. So there was a solid argument for continuing the momentum and increasing the overall potential value of the squad for future windows - as worked out so well with the Minteh signing, who covered the summer on his own.

38 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I could see Howe playing Barnes Isak and Gordon as our front 3 the first match of the season irrespective of who we sign to play RW. Assuming Barnes will be playing a ton of minutes this preseason and Gordon’s versatility will push him there. 

Gordon Isak Murphy probably.

55 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Not a great source but Harry Redknap has said that he’s heard that The FA will approach Nufc and EH and he thinks he both should and will take it. 

I don’t want it to happen but IF it’s gonna happen then asap please. Would be gutted but not the end of the world. Club is more important than one man. We move on. 

If that was Talksport I heard that as well, the same channel had a numpty presenter on this morning saying he's heard Potter is nailed on for it. 

15 minutes ago, 80 said:

Yeah, it does seem as though there was a big focus on buying value. Which is a nice enough idea, but maybe wasn't right at the time.

I say 'maybe' as I think I'm right in saying that even if we'd signed literally no one last summer, we'd have still required at least one major sale before the PSR deadline. So there was a solid argument for continuing the momentum and increasing the overall potential value of the squad for future windows - as worked out so well with the Minteh signing, who covered the summer on his own.

It’s become apparent that Minteh didn’t cover the PSR shortfall though. 

we added about 40m euros to our amortisation costs at a crude guesstimate in that window.  Excluding Hall.  

But you are right we obviously needed to strengthen. But did we strengthen wisely considering the challenges and expectations?

47 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I assumed this last season. And it just didn’t materialise regularly. 

Think we make Europe last season if Barnes didn't pick up that freak injury. That signing attracts up a weird amount of criticism.

I think the plan was always to have Tonali as our 'purple' that window and go big on a RW this summer. 

20 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

we added about 40m euros to our amortisation costs at a crude guesstimate in that window.  Excluding Hall.  

But you are right we obviously needed to strengthen. But did we strengthen wisely considering the challenges and expectations?

No, I'm not saying Minteh covered the shortfall we ended up with, but - off my memory and a fag packet - he would've covered the shortfall we STILL would've had even if we'd spent zero last summer and not got Livramento and co. We still had debts to cover from Gordon, Isak, Bruno et al.

So, in a rough sense, we've swapped Elliot Anderson for Livramento, Barnes, Tonali and Minteh (Mr Walking Debt Reduction). Excluding Hall who we've only just bought, of course. 

On paper, that doesn't look like bad business, to be fair. It's potentially hugely inflated the amount of realisable PSR value in our squad - in 3 or 4 years' time they might still be worth £150m-200m to us, rather than zero if we'd invested nothing last summer (the Ashley trap). It's fair to call it into question though, particularly in retrospect (can't help but feel we might not be having this conversation had Tonali not been a gambler).

My numbers might be a bit off as it's a few weeks since I thought about it, but you get the gist.

1 minute ago, Menace said:

Man we desperately need a signing. It's been the same rehashed conversation for months on end now.

Careful or you'll get Dominic Calvert.

7 minutes ago, 80 said:

No, I'm not saying Minteh covered the shortfall we ended up with, but - off my memory and a fag packet - he would've covered the shortfall we STILL would've had even if we'd spent zero last summer and not got Livramento and co. We still had debts to cover from Gordon, Isak, Bruno et al.

So, in a rough sense, we've swapped Elliot Anderson for Livramento, Barnes, Tonali and Minteh (Mr Walking Debt Reduction). Excluding Hall who we've only just bought, of course. 

On paper, that doesn't look like bad business, to be fair. It's potentially hugely inflated the amount of realisable PSR value in our squad - in 3 or 4 years' time they might still be worth £150m-200m to us, rather than zero if we'd invested nothing last summer (the Ashley trap). It's fair to call it into question though, particularly in retrospect (can't help but feel we might not be having this conversation had Tonali not been a gambler).

My numbers might be a bit off as it's a few weeks since I thought about it, but you get the gist.

Nah if we didn’t spend anything last summer we wouldn’t have needed to sell this summer. Or it would’ve been minimal.  Obviously we needed to build the squad. 

We’ve sold Anderson and Minteh for 1 season of those players. Harvey Barnes and Tonali will cost another 30m this season. Hopefully we don’t need to do dodgy deals next summer to cover it.  

4 hours ago, The Prophet said:

I think its unlikely that Barnes was signed as a "bench player" mind.

At the time he signed, we had no established left winger and two established right wingers.

Gordon went on to become our established left winger, cemented by Barnes' long term injury, but we can't have forseen that at the time.

I think quite a few did foresee it though. At least many questioned why we had bought two very highly rated left wingers when we desperately needed a right winger. I rate both Gordon and Barnes btw, did even when we signed them, but it did mean we spent a lot of money on one position.

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I assumed this last season. And it just didn’t materialise regularly. 

There wasn’t much a chance until late in season and Barnes still looked he wasn’t fully fit or right. This is far different now. 

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Nah if we didn’t spend anything last summer we wouldn’t have needed to sell this summer. Or it would’ve been minimal.  Obviously we needed to build the squad. 

We’ve sold Anderson and Minteh for 1 season of those players. Harvey Barnes and Tonali will cost another 30m this season. Hopefully we don’t need to do dodgy deals next summer to cover it.  

We definitely would've required sales income, and there still haven't been any willing takers for the ones we want to sell...

If Barnes and Tonali are that devastating to our ongoing picture, then cumulatively Gordon, Isak, Botman, Bruno and all the rest must be much worse, and we'd recouped nothing but ASM over the three years to June. We either choose to get on the hamster wheel to gain a viable squad or we don't - as I say, even if we didn't need to sell anyone if we'd spent nothing last summer, we'd still be in the position now of needing to find replacements and backups for Trippier, Kelly, Longstaff and Gordon, in addition to RW, RCB, ST etc. It doesn't bear thinking about.

We shouldn't need to do anything silly next summer - as I understand it we've now got room for substantial losses all over again. If we want to go down that route, which is another matter. Either way, we do now have a squad that's verging on being mostly sellable nowadays, which unfortunately is the highest praise in the world of fair play.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

I think this is what's overlooked too much in discussions about transfer budgets and what we're going to spend, which is really just another way of my long time crusade to please talk about wages. The increase we got from Sela last season and moving forward pays for Tonali. That's it, nothing else.

6 minutes ago, 80 said:

We definitely would've required sales income, and there still haven't been any willing takers for the ones we want to sell...

If Barnes and Tonali are that devastating to our ongoing picture, then cumulatively Gordon, Isak, Botman, Bruno and all the rest must be much worse, and we'd recouped nothing but ASM over the three years to June. We either choose to get on the hamster wheel to gain a viable squad or we don't - as I say, even if we didn't need to sell anyone if we'd spent nothing last summer, we'd still be in the position now of needing to find replacements and backups for Trippier, Kelly, Longstaff and Gordon, in addition to RW, RCB, ST etc. It doesn't bear thinking about.

We shouldn't need to do anything silly next summer - as I understand it we've now got room for substantial losses all over again. If we want to go down that route, which is another matter. Either way, we do now have a squad that's verging on being mostly sellable nowadays, which unfortunately is the highest praise in the world of fair play.

The others you named have all contributed significantly on the pitch. 

My overall point is we’ve paid a premium last summer for a number of players and nobody made a massive impact. The window and other decisions hasn’t been deemed a success and the club have pivoted strategy as a result. 

I don’t think we have room for substantial losses. Our squad cost has increased and it carries year on year.  Our revenues need to increase. And that includes selling more players.  

17 minutes ago, Kanji said:

There wasn’t much a chance until late in season and Barnes still looked he wasn’t fully fit or right. This is far different now. 

He barely tried it before the injury. Gordon would come off Barnes. 

In any case Gordon has proven himself at LW. Barnes is proven at LW. 

4 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I think this is what's overlooked too much in discussions about transfer budgets and what we're going to spend, which is really just another way of my long time crusade to please talk about wages. The increase we got from Sela last season and moving forward pays for Tonali. That's it, nothing else.

Aye and wage increases absorb the money saved on fee amortisation.  

Isak costs £10m per year for the fee and I guess £5m on wages. Hope he extends his contract. A new 5 year deal means his fee will be £8m per year but he’ll likely earn £7.5m per year. 

Revenues revenues revenues. 

1 hour ago, TRon said:

I think quite a few did foresee it though. At least many questioned why we had bought two very highly rated left wingers when we desperately needed a right winger. I rate both Gordon and Barnes btw, did even when we signed them, but it did mean we spent a lot of money on one position.

Had a quick look in the thread from last summer. Can find hardly any comments suggesting he was a definite left winger, but plenty suggesting he could play a verity of positions.

“Of course I’ve spoken to PIF and will continue to speak to them. The relationship is good,” Howe said when asked about our majority owners.

“Since they’ve been here and I want to make this clear, they’ve done some amazing things for the football club and I think they are absolutely going to do some amazing things for the football club in the future. Everyone should be very excited about what is ahead for Newcastle.”

All aboard :indi: