Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

7 hours ago, 80 said:

I guess we have to consider the possibility this is going to be a tight tight league this year i.e. almost all the conventionally good teams will struggle against all the conventional makeweights, and the victors will be those who grind the most points out of each battle. Haven't had enough games to see that play out yet. Hope it's true, for our sake.

As I've found myself saying several times before before, in spite of various negatives I could talk about, there's a team spirit in the club which keeps driving us through. So long as we've got that, we've got a chance.

I think the league is going to be really hard this year.

Not to downplay our 4th place finish but that year there were quite a few of the usual CL suspects who were having a bit of an off season. 

This year we expect Man City and Arsenal to be a lock, and probably Liverpool too. That leaves Spurs, Chelsea, Man Utd, Villa, and Us fighting over the last place - it will be the goal for all 5 teams and 4 of them will fail. 

On top of that I think the midfield is stronger than it has been in a while too. There's some good players and managers in there. 

It's gonna be a tough season for a lot of teams. 

If the stuff about Howe wanting Guehi or nobody in is true, then that’s ridiculous and can easily see a power struggle coming. One I doubt Howe wins again. Like it seemed he did with Ashworth. Would be cutting off your nose to spite your face. 

If it is just incompetence on the club’s part and we have failed to sign any one of note at CB or RW. Then that’s equally as worrying and isn’t putting Howe in a position to succeed. Which could be by design and not mistake, if you want to be cynical. 

The truth could be somewhere in between or far more nuanced than that. But whatever the situation is. It doesn’t really bode well for the season ahead and Howe’s future. 

Which is a massive shitter IMO. As I think Howe is almost as important as the takeover itself and I’d be gutted if he were to leave. 

Despite 3 fairly average to poor performances. Where we’ve avoided defeat all 3 times, I might add. He seems to have more and more detractors on here and in general of late. Which I find mind boggling, TBH. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

14 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

If the stuff about Howe wanting Guehi or nobody in is true, then that’s ridiculous and can easily see a power struggle coming. One I doubt Howe wins again. Like it seemed he did with Ashworth. Would be cutting off your nose to spite your face. 

If it is just incompetence on the club’s part and we have failed to sign any one of note at CB or RW. Then that’s equally as worrying and isn’t putting Howe in a position to succeed. Which could be by design and not mistake, if you want to be cynical. 

The truth could be somewhere in between or far more nuanced than that. But whatever the situation is. It doesn’t really bode well for the season ahead and Howe’s future. 

Which is a massive shitter IMO. As I think Howe is almost as important as the takeover itself and I’d be gutted if he were to leave. 

Despite 3 fairly average to poor performances. Where we’ve avoided defeat all 3 times, I might add. He seems to have more and more detractors on here and in general of late. Which I find mind boggling, TBH. 

He lost a lot of good will last season, and the poor performances so far aren't helping. The main worry though, like you've pointed out is either a power struggle or targets not delivered on purpose, to undermine the manager.

Howe wasn't at his best last season. Stubborn tactical and personnel decisions and not managing the additional games correctly. I said it then. I stand by it. 2nd half of the season was better, but the lack of assist from the club on transfers was staggering. Since then we know how bad our psr status was, and without significant outgoings no one was coming in. For me though, this is bad financial management by the club. So both sides didn't cover themselves in glory. 

New season and we sell 2 promising players lose out on a free, and since then the whole strategy comes tumbling down. Not backup targets, no players out and a schar suspension highlighting how fragile we are in one particular position. Who this is down to we probably won't know unless Howe comes out direct and tells it like it is, if he does, he's gone by Christmas anyway. If he takes the blame and accepts he was too stubborn on his targets, then we may be able to move forward, but I doubt he will and I doubt it's all his fault anyway. I reckon Mitchell was certain he'd land Guehi for him, so much so we didn't need to look elsewhere, but he underestimated parishs desire to fuck us about. 

Now we are where we are. One of the most important windows to show Bruno, Isak etc.. We can build and retain the best, and we've got fuck all in, lost young talent, and been made a fool of for weeks, and it's not hindsight, many on here called parishs tactics and said he'd do this and there we have it. Disaster window.

Howe has done an amazing job and is an amazing person. But I think it's just us who hold him in such high regard, while others don't.

I just can't stop feeling (both what I see on and off the pitch) that this is it. He feels too stubborn with who he can work with (staff and players) and I'm not sure about the football either, which is not developing in the right direction at all I think.

There are so many good coaches in the PL, and often I think Howe loses these duels head to head. And with this obsession at only getting the "elite" players or none, we are starting to fall behind I think. We have an old team with many holes. With this summer, I just can't see it ending well.

4 minutes ago, Dokko said:

He lost a lot of good will last season, and the poor performances so far aren't helping. The main worry though, like you've pointed out is either a power struggle or targets not delivered on purpose, to undermine the manager.

Howe wasn't at his best last season. Stubborn tactical and personnel decisions and not managing the additional games correctly. I said it then. I stand by it. 2nd half of the season was better, but the lack of assist from the club on transfers was staggering. Since then we know how bad our psr status was, and without significant outgoings no one was coming in. For me though, this is bad financial management by the club. So both sides didn't cover themselves in glory. 

New season and we sell 2 promising players lose out on a free, and since then the whole strategy comes tumbling down. Not backup targets, no players out and a schar suspension highlighting how fragile we are in one particular position. Who this is down to we probably won't know unless Howe comes out direct and tells it like it is, if he does, he's gone by Christmas anyway. If he takes the blame and accepts he was too stubborn on his targets, then we may be able to move forward, but I doubt he will and I doubt it's all his fault anyway. I reckon Mitchell was certain he'd land Guehi for him, so much so we didn't need to look elsewhere, but he underestimated parishs desire to fuck us about. 

Now we are where we are. One of the most important windows to show Bruno, Isak etc.. We can build and retain the best, and we've got fuck all in, lost young talent, and been made a fool of for weeks, and it's not hindsight, many on here called parishs tactics and said he'd do this and there we have it. Disaster window.

For you and a few others maybe. But you were staunchly against him to begin with, and said a couple of uncharacteristically bat shit things in that time.

9 minutes ago, ATB said:

Howe has done an amazing job and is an amazing person. But I think it's just us who hold him in such high regard, while others don't.

I just can't stop feeling (both what I see on and off the pitch) that this is it. He feels too stubborn with who he can work with (staff and players) and I'm not sure about the football either, which is not developing in the right direction at all I think.

There are so many good coaches in the PL, and often I think Howe loses these duels head to head. And with this obsession at only getting the "elite" players or none, we are starting to fall behind I think. We have an old team with many holes. With this summer, I just can't see it ending well.

So fuck if other fans and talking heads don’t rate Howe? I couldn’t tell you all the strengths and weaknesses of Ten Hag or Glasner, as a couple of random

examples. Fans are partisan as fuck and like to get stuck into other club’s managers, players, fans, chairman etc. 

Howe has flaws. So did Rafa, who I loved. They could be stubborn and make head scratching decisions. All

managers do. Liverpool fans were almost unanimous with their gripes about Klopp and the way he used his subs and his plan A and plan A only. Yet they worshipped him and rightly so. 

I suppose at times Howe thought the ends justify the means and plenty of us didn’t. At least he has a philosophy and style and tries to stick to it. Again, the same as Rafa. Albeit in a very different way. 

After watching so many chancers rip up the tactics and team sheets on a whim off a bad result, week to week. Give me the frustrations of  Howeball any day of the week. Not sure who we’re getting in his place who is a better fit. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

An injury crisis that was likely the worst in the league, fought on four fronts at once, we still managed to finish seventh, and missed out on Europe because Man City didn't show up to their cup final, and Howe "lost a lot of goodwill last season"? Wild wild wild. :lol: 

It's may well be just feelings of malaise that's snowballed from the transfer window but I'm a lot less confident in Howe now than I was 12 months ago, really can't lie. Posted why in my long post in the Bournemouth thread which I won't rehash. 

And I was one of his biggest advocates when the takeover went through, when he took over and was thoroughly backing him when 25% of this forum wouldn't have minded to see him sacked after 10 games in charge. Something just isn't right atm.

2 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

An injury crisis that was likely the worst in the league, fought on four fronts at once, we still managed to finish seventh, and missed out on Europe because Man City didn't show up to their cup final, and Howe "lost a lot of goodwill last season"? Wild wild wild. :lol: 

And the underlying stats still said we were unlucky and should have done better even with all the injuries. It's mind-boggling, embarrassing and depressing that this shit has already started again.

I´m not sure Howe is blamless for the injury situation.

Anyway. The football nowdays are bigger that what happends on the pitch. To put it clear, I like Howe very much as a person and leader, I´m not just all against him. Instead I think what I feel is best for the club from now, not what was best 3 years ago. Without Howe we wouldn´t be where we are.

Just now, Pata said:

And the underlying stats still said we were unlucky and should have done better even with all the injuries. It's mind-boggling, embarrassing and depressing that this shit has already started again.

It was pretty grim here after the 3rd game last season already...that on the back of a 4th placed finish.

I'd be intrigued to see where our expenditure now lies amongst the clubs of the last say 10 years now we've had a couple of years splashing out.

I bet our net spend isn't all that high by comparison.

The club was ran into the ground and was an absolute shell on all levels. We were balance sheet champions for a reason. As soon as we had the chance to spend they've put the blocks into place.

I think Howe has been perfect for the role to date. I think he remains perfect for the role. What he needs though is the correct backing, as he has received until this calendar year.

What has become apparent for me is that the folk running the club know how to run a good business. They are constantly attempting to sell the club to prospective fans and grow the brand and grow the income. They absolutely have to now because of FFP and PSR. The bi-product of this, is of course, that it future-proofs the club somewhat.

However, what is missing is the simple logic that being successful and winning games is the best way to build your brand.

Under Howe, we have achieved a cup final and a champions league campaign. This, right after a season where we not only escaped relegation but blew it out the water with only half a season or so left.

The squad has never had sufficient depth to be top 10 and competing across all competitions, yet, this season. With everyone fit, I'd argue we do (for the first time).

Last season, we got to two quarters finals and were cheated out the champions league, all whilst finishing 7th with one of, if not our best ever goalscoring tally.

If people think Howe is the issue. They're fucking mad. It's that simple.

Edited by Heron

10 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

I think most were understanding enough to swallow the disappointment of not getting Europe last season because of the injuries, even though it felt like we wrote the season off in January by refusing to buy or loan short term replacements.

If we go into this season without strengthening I feel like we've already written off this season as well. Our results are better than our performances so far, but we haven't even played one of the better sides yet. Howe himself doesn't look happy with the football we are turning out, not sure how he fixes that without getting new blood in.

11 minutes ago, Heron said:

I'd be intrigued to see where our expenditure now lies amongst the clubs of the last say 10 years now we've had a couple of years splashing out.

I bet our net spend isn't all that high by comparison.

The club was ran into the ground and was an absolute shell on all levels. We were balance sheet champions for a reason. As soon as we had the chance to spend they've put the blocks into place.

I think Howe has been perfect for the role to date. I think he remains perfect for the role. What he needs though is the correct backing, as he has received until this calendar year.

What has become apparent for me is that the folk running the club know how to run a good business. They are constantly attempting to sell the club to prospective fans and grow the brand and grow the income. They absolutely have to now because of FFP and PSR. The bi-product of this, is of course, that it future-proofs the club somewhat.

However, what is missing is the simple logic that being successful and winning games is the best way to build your brand.

Under Howe, we have achieved a cup final and a champions league campaign. This, right after a season where we not only escaped relegation but blew it out the water with only half a season or so left.

The squad has never had sufficient depth to be top 10 and competing across all competitions, yet, this season. With everyone fit, I'd argue we do (for the first time).

Last season, we got to two quarters finals and were cheated out the champions league, all whilst finishing 7th with one of, if not our best ever goalscoring tally.

If people think Howe is the issue. They're fucking mad. It's that simple.

We've a net spend of £485m over the last 10 years, higher than 5/6 of the big 6; bigger than Liverpool's. (site is in € so I've converted it to £)

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/fuenfjahresvergleich/wettbewerb/GB1

Edited by HaydnNUFC

18 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

For you and a few others maybe. But you were staunchly against him to begin with, and said a couple of uncharacteristically bat shit things in that time.

I said after new year the issue isn't Howe but the club (as it was borderline neglect not to bring in reinforcements when players safety was at risk - we now know why, we over spent) and he had a free pass from me for the rest of the season, which he got. Others on here had begun to question him and even more so now. Nothing I can do about that apart from say what I see. 

He's not perfect, I don't see why people need to kid themselves he is and 100% unwavering support for him regardless of what he does. I certainly don't treat any relationship like that in real life, at home or at work. It's fantasy. 

14 minutes ago, ATB said:

I´m not sure Howe is blamless for the injury situation.

Anyway. The football nowdays are bigger that what happends on the pitch. To put it clear, I like Howe very much as a person and leader, I´m not just all against him. Instead I think what I feel is best for the club from now, not what was best 3 years ago. Without Howe we wouldn´t be where we are.

What is best for the club from now then? 

3 minutes ago, Dokko said:

I said after new year the issue isn't Howe but the club (as it was borderline neglect not to bring in reinforcements when players safety was at risk - we now know why, we over spent) and he had a free pass from me for the rest of the season, which he got. Others on here had begun to question him and even more so now. Nothing I can do about that apart from say what I see. 

He's not perfect, I don't see why people need to kid themselves he is and 100% unwavering support for him regardless of what he does. I certainly don't treat any relationship like that in real life, at home or at work. It's fantasy. 

I don't think we do. If you are going to be honest witrh yourself, you've been all over the place on this. You were sanguine for about two months, and then started to go back to form. And even before the really bad dip in form, you were sounding a bit like your early 2022 self...not proposing Stephen Gerrard as an alternative level mind you, but still extremely reactionary.

Of course he isn't perfect, and has fucked up in his time here. But what you claim is 100% unwavering support, I see as considering the circumstances rather than just wildly reacting to everything unfolding.

This has never been about what was best for the club.

We didn't fly to Milan as Eddie didn't want people to see us train, this wasn't for the players or the club. This was all the red flags anybody should have needed. 

We have a small time outlook by having a buffer in the backroom that is his nephew. Any other club we would be laughing at the manager for this.

3 minutes ago, Tonalis Bookie said:

This has never been about what was best for the club.

We didn't fly to Milan as Eddie didn't want people to see us train, this wasn't for the players or the club. This was all the red flags anybody should have needed. 

We have a small time outlook by having a buffer in the backroom that is his nephew. Any other club we would be laughing at the manager for this.

Worrying post

Football is constantly evolving in the way it is played, Pep being the master. I think that Eddie will have looked back on last season and is looking for a different way to get results. I feel confident that he will succeed 

2 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

I don't think we do. If you are going to be honest witrh yourself, you've been all over the place on this. You were sanguine for about two months, and then started to go back to form. And even before the really bad dip in form, you were sounding a bit like your early 2022 self...not proposing Stephen Gerrard as an alternative level mind you, but still extremely reactionary.

Of course he isn't perfect, and has fucked up in his time here. But what you claim is 100% unwavering support, I see as considering the circumstances rather than just wildly reacting to everything unfolding.

I wanted emery, and was gutted it didn't happen. He's proved decent at villa. I was concerned with Howes lack of European experience and it showed last season with him not managing the added games properly, but mainly, in my mind, he relegated Bournemouth after spending shit loads on English players and even Steve Bruce tanned his arse on the way down, so yes, I want sold on him. His start didn't get off for a while and we looked nailed on for relegation. It wasn't working, then it did. Fair play to those who backed him then, I didn't. 

Last year and managing Europe, It wasn't even a dig then, it was something I predicted and something I pointed out was happening, but nothing could be said against him during that time. You brought up the same things then as well. 

If you keep the same opinion on something when new evidence or events happen, then you're just stubborn. I'm not that. I'm an emotional poster, I tend to try not post after a defeat these days, as a lot is sounding off and getting out frustrations, but I resent this going back in time for a few comments each time I have an opinion on Howe. My opinion is up and down on him because guess what, Howe has been patchy. Some good some bad, some great. It's a journey, and you can call out the bits you don't like and enjoy the ones you do. It's just shite posters like yourself feel the need to belittle opinions made on that journey, especially when 'in hindsight' some of them were right. 

Last time we do this dance. 

12 minutes ago, Dokko said:

I wanted emery, and was gutted it didn't happen. He's proved decent at villa. I was concerned with Howes lack of European experience and it showed last season with him not managing the added games properly, but mainly, in my mind, he relegated Bournemouth after spending shit loads on English players and even Steve Bruce tanned his arse on the way down, so yes, I want sold on him. His start didn't get off for a while and we looked nailed on for relegation. It wasn't working, then it did. Fair play to those who backed him then, I didn't. 

Last year and managing Europe, It wasn't even a dig then, it was something I predicted and something I pointed out was happening, but nothing could be said against him during that time. You brought up the same things then as well. 

If you keep the same opinion on something when new evidence or events happen, then you're just stubborn. I'm not that. I'm an emotional poster, I tend to try not post after a defeat these days, as a lot is sounding off and getting out frustrations, but I resent this going back in time for a few comments each time I have an opinion on Howe. My opinion is up and down on him because guess what, Howe has been patchy. Some good some bad, some great. It's a journey, and you can call out the bits you don't like and enjoy the ones you do. It's just shite posters like yourself feel the need to belittle opinions made on that journey, especially when 'in hindsight' some of them were right. 

Last time we do this dance. 

Or if you weigh circumstances and then judge, maybe you're not necessarily stubborn. And many of your opinions were were wrong. And if you admit it, which you have done, then fine, which is why I have and continue to have a lot of time for you as one of the 'purple' posters on this forum. But you really have been all over the place concerning Howe. And calling me a shit poster is much more belittling than anything I have done to you, man. I am more than happy to hear criticism of Howe. His subs can piss me off, and I was concerned about running players into the ground just like you guys were. He's a good manager that is still reltaively young, and needs to grow in some areas. I just have been tired of this pall of negativity that has been around the club since the onset of a relatively positive time (for which you have been a sizable contributor from my perspective). 

I was really hoping for Emery as well FWIW.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

41 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

We've a net spend of £485m over the last 10 years, higher than 5/6 of the big 6; bigger than Liverpool's. (site is in € so I've converted it to £)

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/fuenfjahresvergleich/wettbewerb/GB1

Actually a bit surprised by this tbf. But the vast majority of expenditure is across the years since the Saudis arrived, and I certainly don't think we've underperformed based on said signings. Rome wasn't built in a day, etc. Etc.

4 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Or if you weigh circumstances and then judge, maybe you're not necessarily stubborn. And many of your opinions were were wrong. And if you admit it, which you have done, then fine, which is why I have and continue to have a lot of time for you as one of the 'purple' posters on this forum. But you really have been all over the place concerning Howe. And calling me a shit poster is much more belittling than anything I have done to you, man. I am more than happy to hear criticism of Howe. His subs can piss me off, and I was concerned about running players into the ground just like you guys were. He's a good manager that is still reltaively young, and needs to grow in some areas. I just have been tired of this pall of negativity that has been around the club since the onset of a relatively positive time (for which you have been a sizable contributor from my perspective). 

I was really hoping for Emery as well FWIW.

Sorry, I've had a drink. (Penultimate day of holidays) There is a lot of care and kind words in there, appreciated. Truly.  I had hoped you'd read between the lines with me, but my positing and emotion directly links to another thread I'm quite busy in. I have good days and bad days. I was a fucking nightmare poster 15 years ago due to going through a breakdown, and really self sabotage. Realistically I shouldn't even have an account here, thankfully the mods seen there was something worth keeping.

Still for the life of me hand on heart don't remember that Gerrard comment. It's one of those where I'll never live it down, just wish I could own it properly by remembering saying it. It's a brutal reminder, of my mood swings. 😂