Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

12 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

There’s not enough football ability between Longstaff Bruno Joelinton.  I don’t think there’s enough athleticism between them either at this point. 

Bruno needs Tonali and Willock or Tonali and JL. 

Genuine question to the forum, do any PL clubs have 2 fullbacks as young as ours? I think we need to ease them both in and play Trippier more often than not, given his ball playing and acting mentality. 

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think just at times we're still carrying too many players who just aren't at the right technical level. Wolves were so much more comfortable on the ball throughout their team. 

Pope, Burn, Longstaff, Murphy and also the very young fullbacks, even Joelinton. All have the capacity to make mistakes and give the ball back pretty easily.

Why the pursuit of excellence? Maybe just enjoy the ride however flawed.

Fairs Cup final second leg was shyte at halftime and I smashed me radio but the second half was history making

3 minutes ago, Terrymac1966 said:

Why the pursuit of excellence? Maybe just enjoy the ride however flawed.

Fairs Cup final second leg was shyte at halftime and I smashed me radio but the second half was history making

Completely agree, I'm fully enjoying the ride. Just talking about why we sometimes can't pass and retain the ball like some other PL teams. 

8 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Completely agree, I'm fully enjoying the ride. Just talking about why we sometimes can't pass and retain the ball like some other PL teams. 

3rd top mate.  Can't pass?

We don’t play like a top side. 

I see al the plaudits Emery gets and way more than Howe gets.  I feel it’s unfair. They don’t talk about the money spent either. 

But while Villa haven’t been convincing.  They do exert a level of control over games like a top side. They zip it about nicely. We don’t.  I’m not even sure what we are trying to do.   

Imagine when we click though? 

On team selection, I never have too much beef with Longstaff's name being on the teamsheet. He's limited and those limitations certainly stood out today, but he's often alright and he's actually had a solid start to the season. Howe obviously feels that Tonali needs to be eased into the side; it's a shame that we have to go on like he's some sort of imbecile for thinking Longstaff is better than the guy he committed £52m of our finances on. There might be something else to it, lads. 

Murphy was less explicable but that's two away games out of two that Barnes has arrived from the bench and made a massive impact. So maybe there's some justification in that. 

I'm not here to blindly defend Howe, though. We are being bailed-out by good fortune, individual brilliance and the sheer mettle of the lads. Our problems go beyond our unfancied squad players stinking up the team-sheet; we've got structural problems. Why can't Isak get in the game? Why is Joelinton playing shite? What exactly is Tino's role? Why are we still getting caught in possession so much in the first third? Why are our set pieces useless? Why have we no tempo? There's a fair amount to fix with the team atm - personnel isn't the main issue imo.

Fulham will tell us if Eddie is giving out loyalty cards to his favourites or if he goes with a team that can win...

Was quite frustrating viewing that right hand side today, all of Sean, murph and Livra were very poor in possession. They did defend well except for Livra´s half arsed jog back when he should have bust a gut to get back and on his marker instead of letting him stroke an easy goal home.

Also need to have Gordon and Barnes on from 1st min.

I think Tripps deserves to be on from the start, we look a lot calmer with him on.

P.S. Why didn´t any of our back line win headers today? can hardly remember any long balls being contested well

35 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I see al the plaudits Emery gets and way more than Howe gets.  I feel it’s unfair. They don’t talk about the money spent either. 

But while Villa haven’t been convincing.  They do exert a level of control over games like a top side. They zip it about nicely. We don’t.  I’m not even sure what we are trying to do.   

Agree, I sat there today thinking what is our identity currently? It almost reminds me of Man Utd from the start of last season. They didn't play well, they didn't have a clear identity or style, but they were still collecting the points. Although in their case they were possibly even more lucky than us.

Edited by Erikse

We’re so easy to play through. The moment we lose the ball even on the halfway line we’re suddenly wide open and the opposition are practically in on goal. Even with balls in the box it dealt like we couldn’t win any headers, was weird and exactly the same away to Bournemouth. 

For me I’d have Tonali & Bruno as a pair in the middle, closer together, in a 4-4-1-1. Isak can drop and roam in and out if the no10 position. Give him another striker to play off (shock, horror, remember the time god forbid two strikers were on the pitch?). We signed Osula for a reason; give him a run out. 

2 hours ago, Rod said:

3rd top mate.  Can't pass?

:lol: Rod, mate. You don't always need to take offence to a less-than-positive comment. We're literally third bottom in team passes so far this season. https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/total_pass

It's okay to be delighted with the start of the season whilst still thinking about how we can hopefully build on that with more convincing performances.

26 minutes ago, wormy said:

:lol: Rod, mate. You don't always need to take offence to a less-than-positive comment. We're literally third bottom in team passes so far this season. https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/total_pass

It's okay to be delighted with the start of the season whilst still thinking about how we can hopefully build on that with more convincing performances.

Whilst still just moaning ya fucking tits off about everything you would have them doing better. 

If it's not the ballot, the font, the collars, the bench, blah fucking blah

8 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Whilst still just moaning ya fucking tits off about everything you would have them doing better. 

If it's not the ballot, the font, the collars, the bench, blah fucking blah

It's almost like different people will have different opinions about different things, isn't it?

You can look back at my post history. I've given Eddie the benefit of the doubt pretty much every where other than personally wanting to see Hall given a chance sooner last season. Pretty sure Ian is one of the more traditionally optimistic on this forum. He was the sole survivor of the Alan Pardew fan club ffs.

Getting on someone's back for daring to suggest we haven't looked as cohesive as we know we can be is just as far off the other deep end as people 'moaning their tits off'. I should know because the general level of moaning went off the deep end to the point I couldn't be fucked with this place all summer.

And it looks like I'll probably get back to that after one match of daring to stick my nose back in. :lol: Cheerio. 

Edited by wormy

12 minutes ago, wormy said:

It's almost like different people will have different opinions about different things, isn't it?

You can look back at my post history. I've given Eddie the benefit of the doubt pretty much every where other than personally wanting to see Hall given a chance sooner last season. Pretty sure Ian is one of the more traditionally optimistic on this forum. He was the sole survivor of the Alan Pardew fan club ffs.

Getting on someone's back for daring to suggest we haven't looked as cohesive as we know we can be is just as far off the other deep end as people 'moaning their tits off'. I should know because the general level of moaning went off the deep end to the point I couldn't be fucked with this place all summer.

And it looks like I'll probably get back to that after one match of daring to stick my nose back in. :lol: Cheerio. 

I kna, Wormy man. Although my reply seemed directed to you I meant NUFC social media. 

I've come on here and it's the same boring negativity. 

2 hours ago, timnufc22 said:

We’re so easy to play through. The moment we lose the ball even on the halfway line we’re suddenly wide open and the opposition are practically in on goal. Even with balls in the box it dealt like we couldn’t win any headers, was weird and exactly the same away to Bournemouth. 

For me I’d have Tonali & Bruno as a pair in the middle, closer together, in a 4-4-1-1. Isak can drop and roam in and out if the no10 position. Give him another striker to play off (shock, horror, remember the time god forbid two strikers were on the pitch?). We signed Osula for a reason; give him a run out. 

Congratulations, u have found infamous "Eddie Howe gap" a trade of for playing with relatively "aggressive 8s" & without a defensive midfielder.

Regarding Osula, I believe he was purchased so that if we are winning a game we don't need to commit our injury prone strikers for whole 90 minutes.

Can’t help but think tactically we have some fundamental issues holding us back, it feels like we want to transition to a more possession based style but aren’t particularly good at it, notable issues playing out from the back when you have Burn, Pope, Longstaff and Tino to a much lesser extent. 

If you want an inverted fullback it has to be trips starting although if he does start we might suffer if we turnover and he’s put position and he doesn’t have the pace to recover his RB position in such a scenario. 

Isak is obviously isolated as our wide players start very wide and our line is too deep so it’s hard for our midfield to support. 

Our midfield is looking particularly poor atm as they have too much ground to cover, wingers not tracking back and a deep line means they have to cover a lot of ground both horizontally and vertically. 

We’ve managed to get away with it thus far but Eddie has a lot to think about. 

7 hours ago, Erikse said:

Strange how the Italian coach chose to start Tonali and play him for 90x2 right away then, and was rewarded with excellent performances for 90 minutes each game. Howe would never do the same in that situation, and you would be here defending the decision to not do it. The players that you mentioned was benched because other players deserved the spot ahead of them - through strong performances. That wasn't the case here.

You do know that a) Nations League games are pretty much friendlies b) tempo in the Premier League games is way higher than in international games

I am not saying I would have made the same decisions, but i try to understand his reasoning. On the other hand you and me are guys on the sofa playing FM and Howe is one of the best managers in the league. Pretty sure he has his reasons for these decisions. If someone thinks Howe rates Longstaff more than Tonali, give your head a shake. 

7 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

This is probably unfair as last season everything did click on the pitch, except the extreme levels of bad luck. But we were blowing teams away regularly and the style was clear to see. 

He’s trying to transition into a less intensive explosive team perhaps with one eye on reducing injuries and impact but so far it’s not quite there. I’m sure it’ll get there as he does seem honest that it’s not working as opposed to hiding behind the result

19 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

This is probably unfair as last season everything did click on the pitch, except the extreme levels of bad luck. But we were blowing teams away regularly and the style was clear to see. 

He’s trying to transition into a less intensive explosive team perhaps with one eye on reducing injuries and impact but so far it’s not quite there. I’m sure it’ll get there as he does seem honest that it’s not working as opposed to hiding behind the result

Performances last season were up and down.  But I’m just talking about this season.  

Im not certain that we are trying to change style. We are setup in almost the exact same way - at least personnel and formation.  In 2024 PL you’re not going to control games in possession with the likes of Murphy, Longstaff, Pope, Burn & Joelinton.  That’s half the side. But you can control games physically if they are at their best and we are aggressive. 

To control more games with possession we need to start at least 2 of Willock, Tonali, Trippier and Barnes

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Performances last season were up and down.  But I’m just talking about this season.  

Im not certain that we are trying to change style. We are setup in almost the exact same way - at least personnel and formation.  In 2024 PL you’re not going to control games in possession with the likes of Murphy, Longstaff, Pope, Burn & Joelinton.  That’s half the side. But you can control games physically if they are at their best and we are aggressive. 

To control more games with possession we need to start at least 2 of Willock, Tonali, Trippier and Barnes

I think we are trying to moderate at least, the relentless high intensity pressing has been gone for a minute and isn’t showing signs of returning any time soon. 

We are a bit disjointed atm.