Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

15 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

That's why you need a five year plan in place though, to be able to replace top executives, managers and players with the minimum disruption 

You need some continuity to do that though.  You can’t chop and change leadership and expect to execute a 5-year plan.  They will have their own plans. 

In this new world we don’t know who is really who. At Chelsea it was Roman calling the big shots. Marina, Cech and a few other lieutenants did the day to day stuff.  At Spurs you know it’s mostly Levy making key decisions. He’s not even majority shareholder.  Edu and one of the owners sons seem to run Arsenal.  

We don’t know who is who and to what degree with us yet.  

That Monchi setup with Emery and the other dude seems brilliantly aligned. 

Man U are now trying to align.  And I guess so are we but in a bit by bit way. And not sure who is coordinating it. At Man U it’s deffo Ratcliffe. Don’t know who is our shot caller and who really sets the vision and executes it. 

7 minutes ago, KaKa said:

That interview he did just after Mitchell came in and prior to them even sitting down to discuss things, was not a smart move.

It invited all of the speculation that has come since then and probably also put Mitchell on the defensive right off the bat. It has all ultimately led to a bad vibe around the place.

Not sure what on Earth it was meant to achieve, but it's going to make things difficult for him going forward.

That’s something Rafa would do. Rafa wouldn’t mind shaking things up if it meant he got more power at the end. By doing what Howe did - the club then had to come out publicly and state Howe’s position of authority unambiguously. 

Reaffirming authority and power is important. 

I don’t think he got 100% what he wanted. Which yes has meant the vibe isn’t at its best. 

Edited by The College Dropout

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

We've lost one game :lol: 

While this is completely true, there is still room for some valid criticism and concern at the moment. We couldn't really have grumbled if we'd lost every game so far this season. 

The away performances in particular have been largely the same for over a year now. 

12 minutes ago, KaKa said:

That interview he did just after Mitchell came in and prior to them even sitting down to discuss things, was not a smart move.

It invited all of the speculation that has come since then and probably also put Mitchell on the defensive right off the bat. It has all ultimately led to a bad vibe around the place.

Not sure what on Earth it was meant to achieve, but it's going to make things difficult for him going forward.

You’re right he was the first one to come out and play power games publicly in Germany.

Edited by Whitley mag

1 hour ago, andycap said:

Should play a 4-2-3-1 away from home to tighten up the midfield and play on the counter. 

I'd like to see us return to sitting deeper and hitting teams on the counter. We're trying to be the dominant side in terms if possession, but we leave ourselves so open to be countered, which alot of teams do now against us. I think we need to be more savvy.

We've also had a few of our better players under-performing. There's a few things not quite right, but I know we'll get it right, and when it does eventually click again, everyone will have lashings and lashings of ginger ale.

Come on the Toons! 

Just now, Whitley mag said:

You’re right he was the first one to come and play power games publicly in Germany.

Yup, this is being overlooked, but it was not fair on Mitchell, especially as they had not discussed things yet like Howe himself said at the time.

Any subsequent issues likely arose from there, as I doubt Mitchell appreciated that.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Yup, this is being overlooked, but it was not fair on Mitchell, especially as they had not discussed things yet like Howe himself said at the time.

Any subsequent issues likely arose from there, as I doubt Mitchell appreciated that.

Didn’t Eales start it? Perhaps unintentionally which is poor. 

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

That’s something Rafa would do. Rafa wouldn’t mind shaking things up if it meant he got more power at the end. By doing what Howe did - the club then had to come out publicly and state Howe’s position of authority unambiguously. 

Reaffirming authority and power is important. 

I don’t think he got 100% what he wanted. Which yes has meant the vibe isn’t at its best. 

Once they had let Amanda and Mehrdad go, he was never going to get the level of assurances he was after.

I think it's clear someone higher up at the club wasn't happy with how things played out with the pair of them, Howe and Ashworth not being aligned, and the issues we ended up having with PSR.

The most Frustrating/worrisome part of it is that, most of the complaints about how we set up in here have been the same (Isak isolated, flat midfield with no DM, CB playing LB etc) for the last 2 seasons.

The difference being atleast you could understand why those choices were being made. We wanted to be an aggressive and high pressing team. You may not have liked some of those tactical choices, but you understood what we were trying to do, and could accept why some sacrifices were made in certain areas.

This season, I don't know what we're trying to do. We don't seem to have an identity or a plan. This formation no longer seems to suit what we're trying to do anymore 

Edited by Palestoon

17 minutes ago, Conjo said:

We've lost one game :lol: 

If it was just that then people would accept it.

We are not a title challenging side, so we are going to lose games like away at Fulham, or even at home against similar option. There are going to be poor games. The difference is though, is that our performances this season have been poor, we probably should have lost every game. Aside from 1 games in pre-season, the performances there were poor as well. Last season we were poor, but a lot was brushed under the carpet because of our injuries.

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I agree, though I don’t think turbulence behind the scenes will help.

We’ve been playing like an uncoached side this season and a for a chunk of last - and that only ends up with one outcome.  Howe needs to be given ample time to improve the situation, but this won’t go on indefinitely 

The uncoached part remains a mystery to me, given what went before. Somewhat ironically I trace it back to our win at Fulham in the FA Cup last season. There have been a number of times since where I've thought "great, we've got players back and a solid week/fortnight of prep in us - can't wait to see what we do", and we've looked worse than we did beforehand.

10 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Nothing he said brought much attention, until Howe's interview coming off of all of the England talk, which the media ran with and haven't relented on since.

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Eales came out with the 'better on the grass' stuff beforehand, yes. It seemed pretty calculated - at least as much as any of his 'canny' statements about PSR rules to start the media conversation off about them, anyhow.

As I've said previously, it's plausible Eddie could already see writing on the wall and wanted to set out his position in advance to avoid having his reputation and career trashed on someone else's altar.

24 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You need some continuity to do that though.  You can’t chop and change leadership and expect to execute a 5-year plan.  They will have their own plans. 

In this new world we don’t know who is really who. At Chelsea it was Roman calling the big shots. Marina, Cech and a few other lieutenants did the day to day stuff.  At Spurs you know it’s mostly Levy making key decisions. He’s not even majority shareholder.  Edu and one of the owners sons seem to run Arsenal.  

We don’t know who is who and to what degree with us yet.  

That Monchi setup with Emery and the other dude seems brilliantly aligned. 

Man U are now trying to align.  And I guess so are we but in a bit by bit way. And not sure who is coordinating it. At Man U it’s deffo Ratcliffe. Don’t know who is our shot caller and who really sets the vision and executes it. 

He's been here four months, one person of course will not be totally responsible for the overall plan. His input will be on the playing side and he will be asked to provide a five year plan on that side, which will be discussed and agreed by the other executives. Overall control of a five year plan for all aspects of the club will be under the instructions and guide of the Chairman 

1 hour ago, macphisto said:

So have plenty of other teams. We still have a lot of average players, the fact at can't find buyers for many of our players speaks volumes. 

True to a certain extent, but Tonali was on the bench and the front three were all recent signings and expensive. The performance should have been far better. Just accepting we will have some atrocious performances doesn’t cut it.

Glad to see everyone's keeping their heads. Yes, the performances have been poor this season every game apart from brief periods. However, we know how good Howe is. We also didn't strengthen the team for him in the summer. I do think it's concerning how flat we look and I have no idea why that is but I'm absolutely sure Howe is the right man to sort it for us and he will if he's allowed to. We need to find a way of exerting control over games for longer than ten minute spells in a half and that's the biggest issue for us right now, working out the best midfield is going to be key to that

In all likelihood we will sell someone for a decent fee in the next 12 months, assuming we don't qualify for the CL this season (in which case the point I'm going to make is moot anyway) 

When we make that sale it will free us from the shackles of PSR (to an extent) and allow us the opportunity to invest, refresh the squad and begin post-takover NUFC part II.

The question for the Directors will be "Is Eddie Howe the one we want to entrust with that project?". Two years ago the answer would be undoubtedly yes. 

However, now we've got a £40m RB who may or may not be #1 choice. We've got a £35m LB who might actually be better in midfield. We've spent £50m+ on one of Milan and Italy's top boys and we don't seem to know what to do with him. We've got a £150m front line that isn't clicking to the extent we're relying on Jacob Murphy to try and get us out of trouble (and in fairness he is doing a good job). 

There's still plenty of time left to change the narrative but if we're still having these problems at the 10-game point there'll be question marks around who is going to be entrusted with the rebuild.