Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, Abacus said:

Season one -  Miracle worker. To take us from disorganised relegation fodder rabble to comfortable safety was quite incredible 

Season two - Miracle worker. Some astute signings, yes, but to gatecrash the top 4 and send shivers down the spine of the PL elite whilst playing in a coherent, consistent way with a squad still mainly inherited and improved beyond recognition was not something your average manager does.

Season three - very, very good. Coming off a transfer window where the main signings either weren't ready, were banned or injured, with a series of ridiculous cup draws and a crowded fixture list with some of the hardest European games, some bad luck with injuries, to take that squad to a position which would normally have gotten us Europe again was amazing.

Season four - jury out so far. Very good points tally, but performances not yet there, albeit with a squad still largely from season ONE, unbalanced, unstrengthened, and seeming off field issues, players looking either not ready or not motivated or clear in their roles or system, with odd selections at times. So far, it's not quite clicking but how much of this is down to Howe is very unclear.

There's plenty of time to get this right despite the start we've had performance wise, but based on what's gone before, I think anyone calling for Howe's head is daft. I haven't seen much of that on here tbf. 

They tend to avoid saying it outright. Just imply it. They don't have the minerals.

1 minute ago, madras said:

I tried to point that out this afternoon but you've done it better. It's not even pace, it's his reading and strength.

yes mate, obviously he wasn’t in the best of form last season but as he started getting going he got hurt and his entire injury fiasco really crushed him (and us). 

Remember when the entirety of football were calling him Rolls Royce? Elegant, strong, great tackler, good passer, good in the air. He either swept up or he was able to push up and help us press. Dan Burn cannot do that role. Schar can do that role (see how decent we were with him and Jamaal) but I don’t think Dan Burn can do that. 

Our press needs Gordon running through a wall and in form (He’s not). It needs Bruno making his tackles and dictating play (he’s not). It needs out. Fullbacks making those interceptions (they aren’t) and our 8’s need to cover the pitch (they aren’t). 

8 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Win Tuesday, and play our very best 11 v City at home. 

The missing piece of Botman is so fucking massive I can’t overstate it, his interceptions high up the pitch at midfield allowed us to pin teams in over sustained periods. 

Yeah I've been meaning to say this about our high defensive line. We seem to be a very finely tuned machine. If one part goes, we're fucked 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Another point I’ll make is that let’s remove Eddie out of the discussion (in the Eddie thread, ha) he’s been let down by some absolutely criminal individual mistakes and errors by his top players, especially today. That’s Joelinton, Gordon, Bruno, Pope, Schar and Kelly, to just name some names. Those individuals can go in a huff and all that, and we as fans can question the manager for selections, but his leaders and gems and signings (+ contract renewal guys) made some critical / criminal errors today. 

I say this every season but individual errors like the ones we’ve seen from some of our best players are 100% on the players and they need to take responsibility. We as what I think are smart fans, need to also separate a player’s error vs. a coach’s. 

Its a bit annoying when some of you act like the criticism is coming out of one loss. Its been 6 games in a row now with poor performances, and its a continuation of what we saw from the majority of games from the last 6 months last season. Given his overall history its far to early to give up on him, but certainly not to early to get some doubts whether he can turn it around.

Edited by Displayname

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

We weren't exactly defensively sound with Botman in the team last season mind

Yeah, i don’t think he was in the best of form earlier last season (and to be fair, nobody was good in the early days) and as things started to turn — Sheffield away, and he FINALLY got his goal, he ended up being massively hurt. 

I know it’s just deflecting the point about Howe, but if he wanted Guehi or Tosin, you can’t blame him when you look at our CBs at this point. Kraft, Burn (hybrid CB / fullbacks) and Fab. Kelly who is the same as the former but new to the team. 

One thing that I’ve noticed since Howe has been here is that we never have gotten off to a particularly strong start in the season. 

Good points haul to start this season, but it easily could be 4 points instead of 10.

we had a similar debate last year after the first five games, except that the  results were far worse (tougher start and all). 

in 2022, we didn’t lose but we really struggled to win in our first 10 games. We were fairly solid but not great except for a few games (man city home). A fair few complained regularly during that stretch. 

in 2021, 1 win in his first 10 tells the story (even though he came in pretty hamstrung).

Wouldn’t it be fair to  keep the knives sheathed until we hit the quarter mark? If we go on a solid run for the next 5 games (difficult), then we have a brilliant platform for the next 3 quarters.

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Yeah, i don’t think he was in the best of form earlier last season (and to be fair, nobody was good in the early days) and as things started to turn — Sheffield away, and he FINALLY got his goal, he ended up being massively hurt. 

If the doubts were just beginning, then fine. But they’ve been there for every less than perfect spell since he has been there. Despite that atrocious spell last year, he did turn it around in the end, yet people make it sound as if we limped tamely across the finish line.

17 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

I do think he's in trouble.  He's great,  but limited. 

Tbf pretty much all managers are in their own way.

Pep can’t dominate europe like Ancelotti has, Jose couldn’t sustain a level past 3 years, Wenger couldn’t win successive premier leagues or a European trophy.

i have a feeling that Eddies strength is in being a catalyst and having a massive short term impact but is someone who will struggle to take a second evolutionary leap with us. 2022/2023 will be his peak league year I reckon, but he also has a cup win in him this year or next.

and there is no shame in that at all, it will be a spell of complete success if that is all it is but we will get to a stage (pretty soon) where we need a different type of manager 

31 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Season one -  Miracle worker. To take us from disorganised relegation fodder rabble to comfortable safety was quite incredible 

Season two - Miracle worker. Some astute signings, yes, but to gatecrash the top 4 and send shivers down the spine of the PL elite whilst playing in a coherent, consistent way with a squad still mainly inherited and improved beyond recognition was not something your average manager does.

Season three - very, very good. Coming off a transfer window where the main signings either weren't ready, were banned or injured, with a series of ridiculous cup draws and a crowded fixture list with some of the hardest European games, some bad luck with injuries, to take that squad to a position which would normally have gotten us Europe again was amazing.

Season four - jury out so far. Very good points tally, but performances not yet there, albeit with a squad still largely from season ONE, unbalanced, unstrengthened, and seeming off field issues, players looking either not ready or not motivated or clear in their roles or system, with odd selections at times. So far, it's not quite clicking but how much of this is down to Howe is very unclear.

There's plenty of time to get this right despite the start we've had performance wise, but based on what's gone before, I think anyone calling for Howe's head is daft. I haven't seen much of that on here tbf. 

Agree. Obviously there's concerns when we see disjointed football for sustained periods of games, but the hope would be Howe will get things right. He'd be a hard act to follow, but the football has been poor for a while now, you have to call it as you see it.

38 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Its a bit annoying when some of you act like the criticism is coming out of one loss. Its been 6 games in a row now with poor performances, and its a continuation of what we saw from the majority of games from the last 6 months last season. Given his overall history its far to early to give up on him, but certainly not to early to get some doubts whether he can turn it around.

Excellent comment

*Honestly. I fucking despair. We know what a bad manager looks like. Most of us are old enough to know what a good manager looks like. Some of us are old enough to know what a revolutionary manager looks like. If you don't think Eddie Howe is a shoo-in for the latter, then *

1 hour ago, STM said:

They tend to avoid saying it outright. Just imply it. They don't have the minerals.

I’ve been pushing for Howe Out since Luton beat us. I haven’t had a single person on this forum agree with me mind.

the cowards will come out of the woodwork after we get a Howe disasterclass against Everton

12 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

*Honestly. I fucking despair. We know what a bad manager looks like. Most of us are old enough to know what a good manager looks like. Some of us are old enough to know what a revolutionary manager looks like. If you don't think Eddie Howe is a shoo-in for the latter, then *

I think Howe is a solid PL manager, I just don’t think he is a top 6 manager now.

1 minute ago, TRC said:

I’ve been pushing for Howe Out since Luton beat us. I haven’t had a single person on this forum agree with me mind.

the cowards will come out of the woodwork after we get a Howe disasterclass against Everton

You’re weird as fuck. 

Just now, TRC said:

Bit harsh, some people are pretty sensitive after a loss I guess.

What fucking human being sits around pushing for Howe out after Luton beat us and sits around just gasping and waiting for a time to say I told you so? Just think its strange behavior. Did everything positive that came after Luton fucking away make you mad? “Oooo he’s not going to be out any time soon”

Or are you just taking the piss? If so, I’ll 100% say you got me. 

9 minutes ago, TRC said:

I think Howe is a solid PL manager, I just don’t think he is a top 6 manager now.

Solid PL managers tend not to add a few signings and take a relegation circling side from 4th and 7th.

Ancelotti is a mid-table manager without the right players 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Solid PL managers tend not to add a few signings and take relegation circling side ro 4th and 7th.

Ancelotti is a mid-table manager without the right players 

Pardew did that tbf. Dyche too maybe?

I just think the league is a lot tougher these days and I think we need a world class manager in. Howe is good but I don’t he sets himself apart from Marco Silva, Frank and co. 

Just now, TRC said:

Pardew did that tbf. Dyche too maybe?

I just think the league is a lot tougher these days and I think we need a world class manager in. Howe is good but I don’t he sets himself apart from Marco Silva, Frank and co. 

No they didn't, no. So no.