Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

32 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

If we think the solution to our creative problems is to push Bruno further forwards then, with what we have available, we could do worse than get Longstaff sitting and giving Bruno more licence.

We had some success with Shelvey in there so lack of mobility shouldn't be an issue, although Shelvey's quality and range of passing was vastly superior.

Not a bad shout actually.

Think he's played that role before with Bruno further forward.

If it means he's in there with Bruno and Tonali I'd be up for that. 

In which case I'd like us to try Joelinton on the right, such is the desperation with that position. I'd probably even give Ruddy a run out there to see what he can do :laugh:

14 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Come on kaka. Really? :lol:

Literally 3 or 4 months ago he was chewing anyone's head off who criticised Howe. Never seen such a big U turn in such a short space of time. Thought he used to get some unfair stick on here at times but it's nee wonder he gets people's backs up so much

33 minutes ago, Heron said:

You say about me reading the earlier posts but you have quote-replied to my question. Therefore, have you actually read what I asked?

Which managers are available who could do better?

-Tuchel has just arrived at England

-Emery is already building something decent at Villa

-Your third and final solution was Iraola

Good lord.

Fair enough, my bad. Apologies.

If Eddie left, I think I would consider Iraola. They strike me as quite similar managers tbh - young, progressive, highly-rated and I don't think it would be the risk you're suggesting.

Admittedly, I don't have a deep knowledge of European and world football so other than the obvious big names, I don't know any up-and-coming candidates. Alonso is the obvious one but he's being touted as the next City manager. 

57 minutes ago, Heron said:

I think it's just that there are doubts about whether whoever we get could do more with this current squad/set up.

Genuine question: which managers are available who could do better do folk think?

I like Sergio Concecaio. He left Porto this summer after the president got the boot.

Multiple titles and cups at Porto with a squad that didn't really have any big stars and wasn't as good as Benfica's and Sporting's in his time there.

https://breakingthelines.com/tactical-analysis/analysing-sergio-conceicaos-porto/

10 minutes ago, jack j said:

Literally 3 or 4 months ago he was chewing anyone's head off who criticised Howe. Never seen such a big U turn in such a short space of time. Thought he used to get some unfair stick on here at times but it's nee wonder he gets people's backs up so much

I don't like how things are going I'm afraid. And so I'm no longer bothered either way.

Really like him as a manager, but think there may be a significant blind spot with recruitment, and not sure he's open to being more flexible, and that really irks me.

Let's see what happens though. Maybe it all works out.

Edited by KaKa

33 minutes ago, jack j said:

Be nice to hear the SJP crowd back him loud and proud next couple of games

That’s what was happening in injury time on Saturday to be fair. Mind, ‘Eddie Howes Black and White Army’ seems to be the go to song when the atmosphere is struggling. 

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The fact we are discussing new managers is silly TBH, absolutely ridiculous behaviour. 

It might all work out with Eddie. Let's see how it goes.

Just speculating and having a chat. No harm in it.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

It might all work out with Eddie. Let's see how it goes.

Just speculating and having a chat. No harm in it.

But it implies we’re in a position where we’re considering changing the manager. Which is ridiculous IMO. But whatever you want. 

6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The fact we are discussing new managers is silly TBH, absolutely ridiculous behaviour. 

I don't think it's silly to speculate, this is a football forum after all. We know what the decision makers at the club want - European qualification. Early days of course but as it stands we're outside of those places. It'd be incredibly head-in-the-sand to suggest that Howe isn't under a little bit of pressure now, certainly more than he has been previously.

I don't think he is our manager for the start of 25/26. Not saying that's what I want to happen btw.

Plenty time to turn this season around but if it carries on like it's started there will be a fair few who will be happy to see us have a fresh start.

I don't think the fans will ever (fully) turn, but I think the club will be relatively ruthless if we finish outside of Europe.

1 minute ago, Chicken Dancer said:

I don't think he is our manager for the start of 25/26. Not saying that's what I want to happen btw.

Plenty time to turn this season around but if it carries on like it's started there will be a fair few who will be happy to see us have a fresh start.

I don't think the fans will ever (fully) turn, but I think the club will be relatively ruthless if we finish outside of Europe.

If we finish outside of Europe the club share most of the blame though. The summer window has left us massively short. That’s more on them than Howe.

2 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

About time they were ruthless in fighting the rules/in the transfer market and sorting the stadium then.

Edited by jack j

2 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I don't think it's silly to speculate, this is a football forum after all. We know what the decision makers at the club want - European qualification. Early days of course but as it stands we're outside of those places. It'd be incredibly head-in-the-sand to suggest that Howe isn't under a little bit of pressure now, certainly more than he has been previously.

I do think people get far too precious about this. It is just a discussion, you don't have to agree with it.

As for bringing back Longstaff, sure. But I'm not sure how that fixes anything since we played relatively well on Saturday but we rely on a couple of players to get the goals, and if they don't we're fucked.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

I do think people get far too precious about this. It is just a discussion, you don't have to agree with it.

Fair point, I just want people to show some sense. Pages discussing changing the manager is IMO embarrassing. I can’t tell anyone what to talk about, I’m just saying how it looks. 

1 hour ago, black_n_white said:

As said on numerous occasions - finish outside of the European spots again and he won’t be our manager next season. Fully hope this isn’t the case as I like Howe. We’ll come good again this season I’m sure of that.

Which I think is the wrong approach from the leadership.  

If Howe had scope to develop players we could take more gambles in the renter market.  Demanding European football means immediate improvement from signings.  

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Which I think is the wrong approach from the leadership.  

If Howe had scope to develop players we could take more gambles in the renter market.  Demanding European football means immediate improvement from signings.  

It’s also a bad foot to start with a new manager.  The need for instant over achievement. 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

As for bringing back Longstaff, sure. But I'm not sure how that fixes anything since we played relatively well on Saturday but we rely on a couple of players to get the goals, and if they don't we're fucked.

Who does he even come back in for ? Tonali and Joelinton played well on Saturday (should never have taken Tonali off).

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Who does he even come back in for ? Tonali and Joelinton played well on Saturday (should never have taken Tonali off).

Exactly. The only way he comes back in is if there's a change to the formation and we drop a forward and bring in an extra midfielder.

1 hour ago, LiquidAK said:

I'm convinced a solid portion of the fan base don't actually watch the games, just see the result and go from there 

100%.

The last 3 league games have been night and day from earlier in the season.  Energy levels were there, we actually created a bit (still not enough), possession was a lot better, the press and aggressively winning the ball back once we lost it was there to clearly see.

Just a bit shit that we have been, I believe the word I only ever see used in football terms is 'profligate'.  As the performances have far exceeded what we saw earlier in the season. 

I think sometimes fans don't like to consider luck/variance.  Win = good.  Lose = bad.  That is all there is to it, no nuance.  It is hard to take emotion out of it and I am guilty of that myself.  Football is a low scoring game so it is always going to play a massive part.  See that Ted Talk by the Brentford geezer on the 5th placed season under Pardew for reference. 

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

The ability to pass is pretty key for a modern 6. Longstaff would struggle.  Shelvey could pass. 

Also Shelvey days. He sat deep. It wasn’t a flat 3.  He as behind 2 others to patrol that gap.  

Then we abandoned that concept. 

Longstaff isn't a 6, he is either going to play as the advanced midfielder or on the right.

I don't care who our manager is. I'm fairly ambivalent to the whole managerial cult figure thing. I support Newcastle United not who's sitting in the dugout.

Howe did well for us but week by week I get less confident he's going to turn this around. 

If that's the case then I'm happy for the club to get someone in who's going to improve us and try to get the players in they want for their system instead. 

If you want to lionise Howe then all the power to you, I just feel that's typical of the north east self depreciating mindset. "Oh poor us we had nowt so when someone does good for little old us we must treat them like gods cos we're not worthy"

Edited by Izakaya