Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Quite simply I love Eddie Howe and all he stands for. He's taken me back to the 90s and being a silly kid who dares to dream.

What a fantastic two years it's been. Champions League, top 4 finish and a cup final.

He handles everything with such class and dignity. Puts the squad before him and protects the players. The players clearly love him. His teams, by and large, play great football.

Can't think of anyone who is more of a "polar opposite' of Howe, than Mourinho. 

Edited by BlazeT44

2 minutes ago, BlazeT44 said:

Quite simply I love Eddie Howe and all he stands for. He's taken me back to the 90s and being a silly kid who dares to dream.

What a fantastic two years it's been. Champions League, top 4 finish and a cup final.

He handles everything with such class and dignity. Puts the squad before him and protects the players. The players clearly love him. His teams, by and large, play great football.

Can't think of anyone who is more of a "polar opposite' of Howe, than Mourinho. 

Mourinho is a winner though...or should i say he was

2 minutes ago, BullyDogs said:

General hypothetic question here seeing as we were very interested in him before appointing Howe but would anyone swap Emery for him and do we think Emery would have done any better in the same space of time and further on?

What do you think? :rolleyes: 

2 minutes ago, BullyDogs said:

General hypothetic question here seeing as we were very interested in him before appointing Howe but would anyone swap Emery for him and do we think Emery would have done any better in the same space of time and further on?

No, but it's good in hindsight that we would've been sorted with either choice.  It's worked well for both camps tbh.

6 minutes ago, BullyDogs said:

Good question!

I wouldn't swap, I think Emery made the right decision at the time as I don't think he would have been as effective in a relegation battle but he has impressed me with what he has done at Villa and possibly would have kicked on more fully this season but Eddie is my man and want him to be for a long time to come!

Edited by Monters

I think Howe is gutted about last night and it will make him even more focused on what players can take us forward and those that can't, it's quite telling that Lascelles and Schar haven't been offered new contracts 

9 minutes ago, BullyDogs said:

Think Emery would have handled this season better in terms of understanding European overload, but wouldn't swap them, even though I wanted him over howe at the time. 

Just now, BullyDogs said:

Thats a bold statement

Not really, I don’t believe any manager in the world could have achieved what Eddie has with us in this period of time when you take into account the starting point and the FFP limitations. 

50 minutes ago, Dokko said:

I'd like to think Howe is open to learning, and he'll be reviewing every decision and be self critical. If he doesn't address his early season approach to rotation then we'll have this issue over and over, lessening as we go on as quality will improve and options will be better. If you don't think it's an issue then fine, doesn't seem many do, but if he has nothing to learn from this season and how to manage additional games and expectations, then experience is over rated at this level. 

I don’t think your argument works - the lack of rotation early season has only become a problem because a severe injury crisis means he can’t now rotate. November and December were always going to be months where we needed to rotate: he hasn’t been able to. If he was able to and didn’t, you’d have a point. 

I think he always has stuff to learn improve, in particular on conceding on the counter and a lack of formation options, but I don’t really think what happened is caused by his views on rotation. 

Obviously there's a limit to how far this goes, but I'm personally much more interested in feeling like I have a connection with the club, the manager, and enjoying the way we play than success at all costs. For me our ownership removes a big chunk of that, but Howe, the players, the way he has us playing, and the way he represents us gives me a ton back because it's 100% what I want and I agree, I genuinely wouldn't want anyone else. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

13 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Think Emery would have handled this season better in terms of understanding European overload, but wouldn't swap them, even though I wanted him over howe at the time. 

I don’t think Emery would have gotten us into the champions league this season (I’m a massive Emery fan).

I still think Howe is the only manager in the world who could have achieved what he has with us so far.

22 minutes ago, BullyDogs said:

Mourinho is a winner though...or should i say he was

He's also been given the privilege of spending hundreds of millions (20 years ago!) and given the time to get results.

Take Chelsea for example, from 03 (just prior to Mourinho in 04) to 07 (the season he left), they spent silly money in comparison to their rivals.

They bought: Glen Johnson, Geremi, Wayne Bridge, Damien Duff, Joe Cole, Juan Sebastián Verón, Adrian Mutu, Alexey Smertin, Hernán Crespo, Claude Makélélé, Scott Parker, Paulo Ferreira, Petr Čech, Arjen Robben, Mateja Kežman, Didier Drogba, Tiago, Ricardo Carvalho, Asier del Horno, Lassana Diarra, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Michael Essien, Michael Ballack, Salomon Kalou, Andriy Shevchenko, John Obi Mikel, Khalid Boulahrouz and Ashley Cole.

We have spent no way near that on the depth of our squad.

40 minutes ago, BullyDogs said:

Surely you jest, sir.

The Emery comparison is daft , Villa were in a much better position in terms of squad etc when he got the job , they were only so poor due to Gerrard being such a bad manager .  We were on club on its knees from top to bottom when Eddie was first appointed.

1 hour ago, Monters said:

Who should have been rotated and when?

We've been pretty short handed most of the season TBH, Anderson has been out for a while, Willock never started, Barnes and Tonali ages ago...

I agree with your point in general but just don't think the options have been there pretty much all season... 

Aye its a lazy observation you'd expect from pundits who don't properly follow Newcastle. Then when Howe does make changes we get whys he taken him off or not done x y or z. Damned if he does, damned if he don't. 

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

There’s probably a middile ground between being manager for the next 10 years and discussing his future because we’ve been knocked out the CL.  

Guardiola finished 4th first season. Klopp midtable. Klopp finished 5th last season, no real noise from the fans about his position. Arsenal board stuck with Arteta during some very dark days. 

Without evidence that we have a trigger happy ownership. It’s not worth the discussion imo.  It only adds fuel. It’s not constructive either. 

Let’s be honest.  We as a fanbase are not patient. Forget the Saudis. Bobby had 1 bad season, people wanted him out asap.  Crowd started booing home draws the next season. Pardew got into Europe with a team who was in the champ 2 years earlier, we signed practically no reinforcements - most people wanted him gone the next season when things went badly. 

Let’s not use SA as an excuse. We are not patient as a fanbase. 

You had me until Pardew :lol:

3 hours ago, OCK said:

[emoji38]

First Champions League in 20 years. 

"Group of Death"

Hammered PSG at SJP

Made PSG fight at whatever their stadium is called 

League Cup final

Still in top 10 despite injury list

Players love him

Aye, lets get rid. :pards:

Absolutely nobody on here is saying this FWIW.