Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

If Mehrdad and Amanda retain the same influence, then Eddie Howe will be here for the long term.

If PIF get more involved and decide they want “a name” then there could be some changes in the future.

I think the effort last season took its toll and there’s definitely been an element of burnout.

The people we’ve signed haven’t really challenged the “starting 11” as such. It’s all medium to long term planning which is fine but for January I think we need a spark akin to Bruno arriving. The team really needs a lift.

Eddie Howe is the one person standing between us and the ownership ownership that is making this whole “project” not feel like we are the richest club on the planet and I for one love that. He has brought back, and since kept, the soul in this club and made us all love our club again. That doesn’t happen with any of the “elite” managers they could replace him with and I really hope the powers that be realize how priceless that is to them. 

The club just feels good right now. 

Edited by cubaricho

5 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Agree with the points you are trying to make, however Pardew was an absolutely shit manager and a massive prick, that’s why people wanted him out. Can’t put his name in there with the others.

It doesn't matter. As a fanbase we have not backed a manager during a dissappointing season. There's no precedent. Not since i've followed the club in-depth anyway. That's my point. Not if we were right or wrong. And people are pretending otherwise but I see the grassroots of dissent on here under he disguise of Saudi ruthlessness.

Off the top of my head 94/95, 96/97, 97/98, 98/99, 00/01 for one reason or another were all a bit disappointing but the manager was supported.

03/04 is the only season where a point could be made. Go beyond that and you're looking at seasons with multiple managers and managers who didn't deserve support if they didn't get it.

Edited by Kid Icarus

58 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

It's far from settled. City should go far and there will be three English teams in the Europe League knockouts + one in the Conference that should do well. 

Italy still have 7 teams left in Europe and Germany 6 with us and Man United going out it is a huge blow to 5th getting an extra CL spot

9 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Off the top of my head 94/95, 96/97, 97/98, 00/01 for one reason or another were all a bit disappointing but the manager was supported.

03/04 is the only season where a point could be made. Go beyond that and you're looking at seasons with multiple managers and managers who didn't deserve support if they didn't get it.

96/97 is one of my favourite seasons, Keegan’s departure aside. Final day of the season was absolutely brilliant: Us thrashing Forest and stealing 2nd / CL qualification, Boro and Mackems down. I vividly remember the walk from the Gallowgate to the Quayside and us being given Peter Reid monkey’s heed masks. Sun shining, party-like atmosphere.

Then the next 2 seasons were absolute shit apart from the cup finals. 

23 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

96/97 is one of my favourite seasons, Keegan’s departure aside. Final day of the season was absolutely brilliant: Us thrashing Forest and stealing 2nd / CL qualification, Boro and Mackems down. I vividly remember the walk from the Gallowgate to the Quayside and us being given Peter Reid monkey’s heed masks. Sun shining, party-like atmosphere.

End of that season was mad. Keegan never seemed to find a way of getting Ferdinand, Tino and Shearer in the same team, then the last few games it was as if Dalglish went against all his managerial beliefs, hoyed the three of them up top, turned Robbie Elliott into a goalscoring midfielder, and took us to the Champions League. 

21 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

It had some amazing moments (the 5-0, 7-1, qualifying for the Champions League) but going into it with the expectation after signing Shearer, then Keegan leaving, the dirge football Dalglish had us playing, getting dicked by Monaco, Ginola being ostracised (my version of what Souness did with Robert)

I remember feeling really disappointed, particularly as Man United were nothing special that year. Finishing 2nd on 68 points is mental like :lol:

56 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

End of that season was mad. Keegan never seemed to find a way of getting Ferdinand, Tino and Shearer in the same team, then the last few games it was as if Dalglish went against all his managerial beliefs, hoyed the three of them up top, turned Robbie Elliott into a goalscoring midfielder, and took us to the Champions League. 

Never understood why he flogged Elliott 

No one wants to pretend, they just disagree with you. 

Would love to know who these fanbases are who are universally patient with poorly performing managers like. It just sounds like absolute made up guff. Me and a fair few on here know just how split the fanbase was on Pardew when you claim he was turned on by everyone. A lot of people took a lot of convincing and some idiots still defend him now.

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

No one wants to pretend, they just disagree with you. 

Would love to know who these fanbases are who are unilaterally patient with poorly performing managers like. It just sounds like absolute guff, me and a fair few on here know just how split the fanbase was on Pardew when you claim he was turned on by everyone.

I think Liverpool are a pretty patient and supportive fanbase. 

I think most fanbase are impatient and we are one of them. 

On this forum people weren’t split on Pardew. Most of us didn’t like him in the first place. The majority wanted him out. Not saying that was wrong. But we didn’t have patience with him.  Bobby had 1 poor season and most wanted him gone.  We couldn’t wait to get rid of the rest of them After in the main too. 

21 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I think Liverpool are a pretty patient and supportive fanbase. 

I think most fanbase are impatient and we are one of them. 

On this forum people weren’t split on Pardew. Most of us didn’t like him in the first place. The majority wanted him out. Not saying that was wrong. But we didn’t have patience with him.  Bobby had 1 poor season and most wanted him gone.  We couldn’t wait to get rid of the rest of them After in the main too. 

Liverpool have barely ever had bad seasons to be patient about, but just in recent memory they wanted Hodgson out from the moment he arrived, before a ball had been kicked. They detested him.

Forums aren't fanbases though, same as Twitter, we found that out when trying to oust Pardew. Twitter especially is much more reactionary.

If 03-04 is relevant (the majority didn't want him out but admittedly some did) then so is 00-01 when we finished 11th nearly 2 full seasons after SBR arrived. 

Souness - Shepherd pulled the trigger before any widespread fan discontent 

Roeder - more of a sympathetic figure who was never a long term solution 

Allardyce - a lot quickly and rightly wanted him out, as has every self-respecting fanbase

Keegan - got patience at end of 07-08 because he's a legend and the football was miles better

Pardew's been covered

McClaren - not enough pressure if anything. He was useless but not disliked 

Bruce - hands up that I personally checked out the moment he was announced, we'd seen enough of his managerial career to know he didn't deserve even a chance 

Edited by Kid Icarus

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Ok KI you’re right. We are a very patient fanbase. Let’s hope Howe finishes top 7 and we don’t have to see this great patience in our fanbase. 

Didn't say we had a very patient fanbase, but I don't think we have a uniquely impatient one.

9 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

It had some amazing moments (the 5-0, 7-1, qualifying for the Champions League) but going into it with the expectation after signing Shearer, then Keegan leaving, the dirge football Dalglish had us playing, getting dicked by Monaco, Ginola being ostracised (my version of what Souness did with Robert)

I remember feeling really disappointed, particularly as Man United were nothing special that year. Finishing 2nd on 68 points is mental like :lol:

I had no issue with the sale of Ginola.  We looked miles better playing a 4-3-3 that season.  The issue was what Dalglish did that summer.

Getting ‘dicked’ by Monaco - a Monaco side which contained Barthez, Henry, Petit, Scifo, Ikpeba, Sonny Anderson, et al - wasn’t shameful at all, and wasn’t surprising given that we had an injury crisis (yep, plenty previous there) so bad that at various points in the first leg we had Warren Barton playing centre forward.  This was the last season of the real European Cup, so the UEFA Cup was by far the strongest competition (and hardest to win).  

96/97 remains my favourite NUFC season for a number of reasons.  The football Dalglish’s side played (when we had a full roster) was some of the most exciting I’d seen.  We had two 4-3 games in a month - the same number as KK had in the previous three and a half years (yet somehow 4-3 is a KK style match).  We were 6th when Dalglish came in.  He lost his mind that summer.  

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

And I think people are sowing seeds of dissent after the CL campaign.

think it’s more deflection on / against the sad realization that all the hard work and memories of last season just never yeilded a proper go. 

I am just worried we do not have serious sums to spend due to FFP this January.

it will be creative loans from Saudi or not much imo.

we already had to limit spending in the summer and we didnt get much out of all that spending either due to Tonali ban, Barnes bad injury and Hall played hardly at all so far.

Howe needs to pick up our away form, at home we are a match to anyone, but we can go to places like Bournemouth, Everton etc and easily lose.

next 5 PL away games:

Luton

Pool

Villa

Forest

Arsenal

surely we cannot be happy with like 4 points from these.

given the last 5 was somewhat easier and we got 2 points only and conceding 13 in them. (2 or more in each)

WHU

Wolves

Bournemuth

Everton

Spurs

next 5 home PL games Fulham, Forest, City, Luton, Bournemouth, so that should be 4 wins at least imo and give a game to City too.

4 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

And I think people are sowing seeds of dissent after the CL campaign.

Are they though? I love Eddie Howe, hope he stays for many years. I watch every pre match press conference, every interview. Proud as fuck he's our manager. I don't think we approached the final 20 minutes of the Milan game correctly. Doesn't mean I have negative feelings towards him or want him replaced. You could idolise Shearer and say he had a bad game couldn't you? Or does that mean you really want him sold at the next opportunity.

Howe is the best manager bar Robson to manage the club in my lifetime.

Could finish mid table and still have plenty of credit it in the bank.

Loved the way we went CL or bust, somebody suggested on here it was a losers mentality to not want the EL, it’s anything but we went all out to stay in the best competition in the world and only narrowly failed, a last 16 tie would have been monumental and proud we went for it.

My only doubt with Howe is does his type of player, his transfer strategy, result in us being able to compete with the best. Stories of him wanting Phillips, McTominay etc don’t elevate us to where PIF will see the club heading. Hopefully they are just stories and he realises those type of players won’t take us where PIF want to go, as that is the only thing I can see stopping him being here a very long time.