Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

Howe is the best manager bar Robson to manage the club in my lifetime.

Could finish mid table and still have plenty of credit it in the bank.

Loved the way we went CL or bust, somebody suggested on here it was a losers mentality to not want the EL, it’s anything but we went all out to stay in the best competition in the world and only narrowly failed, a last 16 tie would have been monumental and proud we went for it.

My only doubt with Howe is does his type of player, his transfer strategy, result in us being able to compete with the best. Stories of him wanting Phillips, McTominay etc don’t elevate us to where PIF will see the club heading. Hopefully they are just stories and he realises those type of players won’t take us where PIF want to go, as that is the only thing I can see stopping him being here a very long time.

No, it’s a naive at best and idiotic at worst strategy to have your centre half get delusions of grandeur and think they’re Lothar Mattaus.

The ‘winner’ mentality is a complete misnomer - winning teams aren’t naive nor stupid; there is zero chance that Milan do that if the positions are reversed.  And Milan could hardly be accused of being a ‘loser’ club.  That shite needs knocking out of the team if we’re going to win anything - and that goes for Howe, too.  It was poor game management.  

1 hour ago, WideopenMag said:

Are they though? I love Eddie Howe, hope he stays for many years. I watch every pre match press conference, every interview. Proud as fuck he's our manager. I don't think we approached the final 20 minutes of the Milan game correctly. Doesn't mean I have negative feelings towards him or want him replaced. You could idolise Shearer and say he had a bad game couldn't you? Or does that mean you really want him sold at the next opportunity.

Yep, I’m bored of that sort of patter entirely.  You can’t sow seeds of discontent on a forum populated by a couple of hundred people, many of us don’t even go to the matches.  I haven’t seen anyone say they want Howe - and they’d be crackers to do so.  Doesn’t mean that he’s perfect, nor that he’s beyond criticism. 

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I had no issue with the sale of Ginola.  We looked miles better playing a 4-3-3 that season.  The issue was what Dalglish did that summer.

Getting ‘dicked’ by Monaco - a Monaco side which contained Barthez, Henry, Petit, Scifo, Ikpeba, Sonny Anderson, et al - wasn’t shameful at all, and wasn’t surprising given that we had an injury crisis (yep, plenty previous there) so bad that at various points in the first leg we had Warren Barton playing centre forward.  This was the last season of the real European Cup, so the UEFA Cup was by far the strongest competition (and hardest to win).  

96/97 remains my favourite NUFC season for a number of reasons.  The football Dalglish’s side played (when we had a full roster) was some of the most exciting I’d seen.  We had two 4-3 games in a month - the same number as KK had in the previous three and a half years (yet somehow 4-3 is a KK style match).  We were 6th when Dalglish came in.  He lost his mind that summer.  

One man's trash is another man's treasure and all that. Also bear in mind that I was 12 :lol:

22 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

One man's trash is another man's treasure and all that. Also bear in mind that I was 12 :lol:

:)

I was 14/15 so it was also the first season where I was able to drink in pubs on match days - so that may be quite a lot of rose-tinted looking back from me as well tbf

(Seems incredible that now - the blind eyes that were turned.  And as a teetotaller these days it seems crazy)

2 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Howe is the best manager bar Robson to manage the club in my lifetime.

Could finish mid table and still have plenty of credit it in the bank.

Loved the way we went CL or bust, somebody suggested on here it was a losers mentality to not want the EL, it’s anything but we went all out to stay in the best competition in the world and only narrowly failed, a last 16 tie would have been monumental and proud we went for it.

My only doubt with Howe is does his type of player, his transfer strategy, result in us being able to compete with the best. Stories of him wanting Phillips, McTominay etc don’t elevate us to where PIF will see the club heading. Hopefully they are just stories and he realises those type of players won’t take us where PIF want to go, as that is the only thing I can see stopping him being here a very long time.

I agree with you 100% about taking the risk of trying to stay in the CL. It nearly came off - Schar wasn't a million miles away from scoring - and the Europa League is a different animal altogether. Basically, the best teams aren't in it.

It would be great to attract the very best players, but we're not in a position to do that yet. FFP imposes restrictions, and we can't compete with the 'big six' when it comes to wages and transfer fees. It looks like we've tried (eg Maddison, Barella). We have to rely on Eddie's ability to get that extra 10% from every individual, at least for the time being.

Thinking about it, there's a particular thrill about seeing players like Murphy and Burn performing at the highest level.

And finally, great though Sir Bob was, Eddie's achievement is the greater, for me. I don't think I've ever seen a manager transform a team as dramatically and quickly as Eddie has done.

4 hours ago, WideopenMag said:

Are they though? I love Eddie Howe, hope he stays for many years. I watch every pre match press conference, every interview. Proud as fuck he's our manager. I don't think we approached the final 20 minutes of the Milan game correctly. Doesn't mean I have negative feelings towards him or want him replaced. You could idolise Shearer and say he had a bad game couldn't you? Or does that mean you really want him sold at the next opportunity.

Nowt wrong with criticism of his performances. 

It’s the ‘ruthless Saudi’ fanfic patter that I think is a thinly veiled measure to talk about Howe getting the sack. 

25 minutes ago, 54 said:

In today's absolutely wild tweet:

What has he said that's wrong though? :lol: He's not in any way saying Howe should be subject to a media pile on and neither am I as he's done an incredible job, but the abuse Ten Hag gets is mental given what he's achieved at Man United so far.

The guy literally has the best win ratio in our history and won us our first trophy in 6 years while finishing third in his first season and is being treated by opposition fans like he's some sort of clueless idiot. :lol: It's all a bit mental.

4 minutes ago, Froggy said:

What has he said that's wrong though? :lol: He's not in any way saying Howe should be subject to a media pile on and neither am I as he's done an incredible job, but the abuse Ten Hag gets is mental given what he's achieved at Man United so far.

The guy literally has the best win ratio in our history and won us our first trophy in 6 years while finishing third in his first season and is being treated by opposition fans like he's some sort of clueless idiot. :lol: It's all a bit mental.

For a start he says that Man Utd have "way more resources", which is completely untrue. The opposite is the case, in reality.

Isn't it Man U fans who are dishing out the flack? Red Cafe seem to collectively want him gone now.

I would imagine it's because Man United bullying the bottom half of the league or scraping wins leaves less of a positive impression on the people watching than the negative impression that's left seeing them get ragdolled most times they play anyone decent.

Edited by Kid Icarus

15 minutes ago, Froggy said:

‘Way more resources’ for a start.  Sorry, when did that happen?  Man Utd love FFP for a reason. 

5 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I wouldn't say Newcastle had way more resources than Man U personally. Don't think you could compare the budgets and experience levels of players last year.

[for the record I think ten Hag is obviously no mug and Man U's board should just back him and get rid of the players he doesn't like. In return ten Hag should ditch the flat cap and stop trying to look like a coke baron who's bought a big country house and claimed he's gone straight].

Also I think some of the criticism of Goldbridge is that fact that he's part of this media hysteria. It gets him clicks. A very brief google search and a couple of recent videos:

GOLDBRIDGE - GRAHAM POTTER TO REPLACE TEN HAG?!? (13 hours ago)

The END Of Erik Ten Hag? ft. Mark Goldbridge - (not his channel but still agreed to be part of it) (9 days ago)

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples. Bullshit clickbait gets clicks. Clicks are money. He is part of that.

14 minutes ago, Wandy said:

For a start he says that Man Utd have "way more resources", which is completely untrue. The opposite is the case, in reality.

He says Newcastle have way more resources, but this point is irrelevant anyway given FFP. You can't spend the way you want to yet.

14 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Isn't it Man U fans who are dishing out the flack? Red Cafe seem to collectively want him gone now.

Speaking to fans I know, no this isn't the case at all. Things need to improve, but most still back Ten Hag. There's a plethora of reasons why things have gone wrong this season. Despite all this, we are still in touch or ahead of teams considered to be our rivals this season.

Things aren't going to get any better soon, given the injuries. We're heading to Anfield on Sunday without Fernandes, Casemiro, Eriksen, Maguire, Shaw, Martinez, Lindelof, Mount, Malacia, Martial and Rashford. I'm not the biggest fan of some of these players, but we've literally zero options off the bench now.

Edited by Froggy

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Hasn’t he took something like one point in 18 months from top half sides away from home?  Something crazy like that?

Yes, extremely poor form against the better sides away from home.  Do you give up on a manager for this reason 1.5 seasons in, when he has delivered 3rd place and a trophy? Not for me.

He's slowly weeding out the lazy, overpaid players. Let him have his rebuild and back the manager. If it fails, we're not worse than where we were before and we go again.

There was a debate on here about being patient/impatient with managers. Calling for a managers head after 18 months is madness, especially with what he delivered in the first 12.

Just now, Froggy said:

Yes, extremely poor form against the better sides away from home.  Do you give up on a manager for this reason 1.5 seasons in, when he has delivered 3rd place and a trophy? Not for me.

He's slowly weeding out the lazy, overpaid players. Let him have his rebuild and back the manager. If it fails, we're not worse than where we were before and we go again.

There was a debate on here about being patient/impatient with managers. Calling for a managers head after 18 months is madness, especially with what he delivered in the first 12.

Froggy, don’t get us wrong here. We want nothing more than for you lot to keep him and buy more of his favourites. 

29 minutes ago, Froggy said:

The best win ratio stat is fucking mind-blowing, I see it's somehow actually true but I can't comprehend how lol...

Just now, mondonewc said:

The best win ratio stat is fucking mind-blowing, I see it's somehow actually true but I can't comprehend how lol...

It won't be the case in a few weeks, he'll fall behind Fergie. But you'd think he's like Rangnick sitting there with a 30% ratio. Ten Hag gets ludicrous disrespect.

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

It won't be the case in a few weeks, he'll fall behind Fergie. But you'd think he's like Rangnick sitting there with a 30% ratio. Ten Hag gets ludicrous disrespect.

Isn't it because Man Utd usually look pretty bad? Results are one thing, performances and direction of travel are another. 

Admittedly I don't watch them every week.

3 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Ferguson's was 48% after 100 games, REAL FUCKING SHAME you didn't sack him :( :)