Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I wish Longstaff would turn up this season because he's been an embarrassment for a while. He's older than Bruno yet he looks like he's the 17 year old kid at the minute.

Feels like we're playing with ten men with him at the minute. It's ridiculous.

1 minute ago, Matt1892 said:

Wolves is looking like a must win, potentially we could be in the bottom half if we don’t beat them.

If we don't get a bit of luck with injuries we'll likely finish bottom half.

Prepare yourself for it and don't freak out. Just look forward to next season when we can blow teams out the water again.

2 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Nobody is saying we were not struggling with fatigue. 

You referred to it as an excuse and said "people on here said it was down to fatigue..."

Sounds awfully like you don't think it was an important factor like.

3 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Wolves is looking like a must win, potentially we could be in the bottom half if we don’t beat them.

Need to score at least three goals, because we will ship at least two.

From The Guardian ...

Not that I think Newcastle are terrible but the project has stalled somewhat, or perhaps found its profit-and-sustainability glass ceiling,” begins Dave Watton.

“They’ve been hovering around 10th all season, 15 points off Villa in 4th, despite the dramatics they still went out of the Champions League in the group stages and as usual barely made a ripple in the cups. West Ham are supposed to be a crisis club and they’ll probably finish above Newcastle.

“My theory is that Guimaraes (who is a really good player) checked out a while ago, and the doors for FFP chicanery as patented in other stadiums backed by petro-state public investment funds are much harder to open in this brave new world where FFP punishments have teeth.

“I understand comments like ‘laugh now, before they are our overlords’ but I think people overstate it. With profit and sustainability rules as they are right now, I don’t see an obvious path for a team like Newcastle to be able to compete with the true elite, and I think their best players know it, hence the drop-off. Maybe they’ve already reached their high water mark.”

31 minutes ago, chapdelaine said:

We have options of 523 343 or 541 with available players and the stubborn prat sticks to 433

ffs. criticise all you want but fuck off with that shite.

11 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

People on here said it was down to fatigue and that we were playing multiple times a week.

Now we are playing once a week we are going with the nursing players back to full fitness excuse, despite playing pretty much the same defence and midfield every single week.

Well we still have Joelinton and Pope out injured who are both instrumental to how we can minimize goals conceded. Miley and Longstaff should be competing for one position, but without a destroyer in mid we will still be exposed no matter how frequently the same players start. 

What do you think is the problem and solution? Such a weird fucking post

Our bad run of form started with a couple of whoopings against Everton and Tottenham in which Joelinton played the full ninety minutes. He also featured against Nottingham Forest and played for most of the defeat against Liverpool. Discounting the Forest game, we let in 11 goals over those 3 matches.

Going back 12 games to the Everton match, we sit 17th in the form table with 11 points from 12 matches and a league-leading 31 goals against. That isn't down to any one player or any one player's absence. It's a collective failure born of an unprecedented injury crisis, fatigue, a loss of form and the ensuing loss of confidence, and our inability so far to mitigate any of those things, change things up or find real room for improvement. Howe ultimately bears responsibility for how easy we've been to play against and for our inability to keep the football.

I think an elite manager/coach should be able to at least put up afight with whatever he has at his disposal at any given moment.

Still, top 6 and/or a cup is the target. Fail that...

1 minute ago, Orphanage said:

From The Guardian ...

Not that I think Newcastle are terrible but the project has stalled somewhat, or perhaps found its profit-and-sustainability glass ceiling,” begins Dave Watton.

“They’ve been hovering around 10th all season, 15 points off Villa in 4th, despite the dramatics they still went out of the Champions League in the group stages and as usual barely made a ripple in the cups. West Ham are supposed to be a crisis club and they’ll probably finish above Newcastle.

“My theory is that Guimaraes (who is a really good player) checked out a while ago, and the doors for FFP chicanery as patented in other stadiums backed by petro-state public investment funds are much harder to open in this brave new world where FFP punishments have teeth.

“I understand comments like ‘laugh now, before they are our overlords’ but I think people overstate it. With profit and sustainability rules as they are right now, I don’t see an obvious path for a team like Newcastle to be able to compete with the true elite, and I think their best players know it, hence the drop-off. Maybe they’ve already reached their high water mark.”

Still on the FA cup the daft cunt 

1 minute ago, Orphanage said:

From The Guardian ...

Will PIF get bored?

It's worth remembering the first 2 1/2 seasons Arteta was with Arsenal they finished 8th, 8th and 5th. And he would have started from a much higher point than Eddie. This year has been ridiculous in terms of fixtures and injuries. It's about as hard a season as we could get & the squad still needs significant upgrading.

That said, there are some issues that have been coming up over and over again all year:

We can't pass out of a press & our strikers are isolated & can't hold up direct balls, so there's not an easy counter to the press.

No pressure on the ball and a flat midfield 3 while opponents drift around wherever they want in the space between our midfield and defence has been costing us all year and hasn't been addressed.

I like Howe and hopefully he turns things around. Lots of times managers/teams have a bad year and bounce back the next year. We do just need to start actually playing better though. It's not just the lack of crazy pressing due to injuries: the way the team's set up just hasn't performed well for much of the season, and when it hasn't there's been no plan B. That's the biggest concern to me.

I still want him as manager next year - we had a good year and a half of perfoming well above expectations. It'll be interesting to see how we do the rest of the season and how he copes with the underperforming. Sometimes things go well, sometimes they don't. It's how you deal with the difficult times that tell you the most.

4 minutes ago, Gottlob said:

Our bad run of form started with a couple of whoopings against Everton and Tottenham in which Joelinton played the full ninety minutes. He also featured against Nottingham Forest and played for most of the defeat against Liverpool. Discounting the Forest game, we let in 11 goals over those 3 matches.

Going back 12 games to the Everton match, we sit 17th in the form table with 11 points from 12 matches and a league-leading 31 goals against. That isn't down to any one player or any one player's absence. It's a collective failure born of an unprecedented injury crisis, fatigue, a loss of form and the ensuing loss of confidence, and our inability so far to mitigate any of those things, change things up or find real room for improvement. Howe ultimately bears responsibility for how easy we've been to play against and for our inability to keep the football.

Agree we looked pretty piss poor in some games when Joelinton played. He undoubtedly gives us a physical edge but in no way covers for the lack of a defensive minded midfielder, see Dortmund at home as prime example when we were cut to ribbons time after time.

Edited by Whitley mag

3 minutes ago, Orphanage said:

From The Guardian ...

This is drivel.

Yes I'm sure Guimaraes curses out FFP every night at home after training. Oh and we are still in the FA Cup btw.

8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

You referred to it as an excuse and said "people on here said it was down to fatigue..."

Sounds awfully like you don't think it was an important factor like.

Not at all, which is why there was more of an acceptance of the situation at the time compared to now.

You might have interpreted it as me referring to it as an excuse but you would be wrong.

He deserves time for when main guys are back, but that’s only then to play his number one system to maximum effort. Not showing any indications of changing things up in meantime which isn’t doing himself any favours.

Need to beat Blackburn, then hope we get a home tie in QF. Get us to SF at Wembley will paper over the cracks, but could be what’s needed to keep everyone together.