Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

19 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

So being hamstrung by FFP is an irrelevant point in relation to the quality of our squad ?

Are you on glue ? 

We werent really that hamstrung by ffp is my point i guess, since he has been able to spend alot. He needs to show that we can be able to still produce good performances over time with what he got before we trust him with alot more money imo. Not saying that he shouldnt get anything, but restrained.

Edited by Displayname

My biggest worry last night and the second point has been a theme all season. Was how so many players looked lax and uninterested in showing

for the ball and also how clueless we look from dead ball situations. Which is partly linked to the first point. 

Players were making a token gesture off throw ins. But not really putting effort in to get open and just marking themselves stood next to a Chelsea player. If not, then just running off in behind without even looking for the ball. Even Bruno who shows all the while was nowhere to be seen a lot of the time. I feel like our throw ins are always shit? But this might be petty as fuck and being negative for the sake of it. 

The second point is free kicks and corners. I’ve moaned about the former pretty much since Howe got here. Anywhere from halfway and it is basically the Pardew set penis. Diagonal to the back post, with Burn/Botman playing the role of Williamson. We take an age to set it up and it’s not really causing chaos like you’d expect. I get we’re a big, physical side. But it’s so predictable and shit to watch. We’re not Stoke or an Allardyce team. 

The corners last night were pretty much all horrible. The only short one that worked was Bruno’s ‘corridor of uncertainty’ special. But 3 of our players were offside, anyway. Everything else failed miserably and the short free kicks we did try were also dreadful. The one right at the end being played short all of a sudden was a head scratcher. 

It did feel like too many players were individually off it last night for various reasons. Which is hard to pin purely on the manager. But ultimately their preparation is on Howe and the coaching staff.

That was one of the most lacklustre performances I’ve seen from us this season and in such an important game, as well. 

9 minutes ago, Izakaya said:

Well, a half then a full season. 

Nah, it was definitely the result of some top notch coaching.  The question of whether or not Howe can take us to the next level remains an open one, but it’s very unfair I think to suggest that Howe simply had a ‘new manager bounce’. 

52 minutes ago, Displayname said:

I understand that we have spent alot regardless of your irrelevant points. How Eddie has chosen to spend it is up to him. If he wanted to focus more on replacing squad players he could have. 

I’ve been trying to curb my use of expletives. So, here’s an alternate way of expressing my first thoughts at reading your two related posts. 

I do not respect your point of view on this. You are disregarding perfectly valid points and seemingly expecting your preferred kind of head coach to have the supernatural powers to predict future ‘table-topping’ non-availability of players and bend financial restrictions on your preferred club. 

(Self-reflection: not sure I am into it. First thoughts were far more punchy and satisfying 🤷‍♂️).

2 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I’ve been trying to curb my use of expletives. So, here’s an alternate way of expressing my first thoughts at reading your two related posts. 

I do not respect your point of view on this. You are disregarding perfectly valid points and seemingly expecting your preferred kind of head coach to have the supernatural powers to predict future ‘table-topping’ non-availability of players and bend financial restrictions on your preferred club. 

(Self-reflection: not sure I am into it. First thoughts were far more punchy and satisfying 🤷‍♂️).

I dont infact judge him toooo harshly on this season, therefore i am willing to give him the summer to turn things around. 

Certainly think questions could be asked about the way he has handled this season though. 

Bring on your punchy thoughts, this was boring.

I've had a season ticket for decades and not a bed wetter or glory hunter or ungrateful. We've lost 12 of 28 in the PL conceding 48. We are 10th, below Brighton and Wolves. SB finished 13th and 12th in his two full seasons.

For his sake I think EH needs some positive results and sign of improvement to take into the close season. Otherwise we may find out just how much influence (or not) AS and JR have over PIF. I dont think the Saudis bought us to finish mid table. 

4 minutes ago, 500bhp said:

I've had a season ticket for decades and not a bed wetter or glory hunter or ungrateful. We've lost 12 of 28 in the PL conceding 48. We are 10th, below Brighton and Wolves. SB finished 13th and 12th in his two full seasons.

For his sake I think EH needs some positive results and sign of improvement to take into the close season. Otherwise we may find out just how much influence (or not) AS and JR have over PIF. I dont think the Saudis bought us to finish mid table. 

We’ve conceded 34 in the last 14 games.  For context, if we continued at that pace for the rest of the season, it would be the worst we’ve had in the top flight since 60/61 - when we were relegated (and about half of those seasons were 42 game seasons).

It is hard to imagine that pace will continue when Pope returns, but still - it’s a horrendous record of late. 

1 hour ago, 500bhp said:

Of course the Saudis didn’t buy us to finish mid table, but hopefully they’re not thick enough to think that success is always linear and we’re currently good enough to finish in the top 5 regardless of circumstances. 

If they’re going to change managers on that basis we could be in for a chaotic few years. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

For context, if we continued at that pace for the rest of the season, it would be the worst we’ve had in the top flight since 60/61 - when we were relegated (and about half of those seasons were 42 game seasons).

This context is worthless without reference to the amount of goals we're scoring and how that compares to those seasons.

We're conceding far too many but we're also scoring plenty.  I'm not happy with performances either but only 3 teams in the league have scored more than us, so to ignore that and compare to relegation seasons is disingenuous at best.

1 minute ago, Interpolic said:

This context is worthless without reference to the amount of goals we're scoring and how that compares to those seasons.

We're conceding far too many but we're also scoring plenty.  I'm not happy with performances either but only 3 teams in the league have scored more than us, so to ignore that and compare to relegation seasons is disingenuous at best.

It’s a perfect comparison; we scored 86 league goals that season :)

I was being deliberately hyperbolic - I don’t for a second believe that the rate we’re conceding at will continue.  But it does put into stark contrast the rate at which we’re conceding vs what we were conceding

This season has been a frustrating one. I guess we have to just be patient and hope the club is able to re tool the squad somewhat. The weaknesses have been laid bare and now we can see we really did over achieve last year. This horrific run of injuries hasn't helped but it is what it is.

Edited by OverThere

There is of course work for Howe to do. We've been far too easy to play through for a few months. It looked like he might have finally cracked it v Wolves, but last night we were let down by a lack of concentration and workrate, which is uncharacteristic of us.

Context is important too. Players have mentioned, it's been a mentally and physically draining season, with our soft underbelly exposed by an unprecedented injury crisis and gruelling fixture schedule. I'm sure it's been a steep learning curve for both Howe and a few of the player who haven't experienced European football.

Up until late October, what Howe had achieved at the club was nothing short of remarkable. Even in the face of a lengthening lost of absentees, we battled on longer than we had any right to do before the wheels come off. 

Since the turn of the year, with personnel returning and the fixtures easing, things have gradually improved, but we're still far fron our best and at times a soft touch to play against. For every Villa or Wolves, there's a Luton or Arsenal. We are of course still missing a couple of key players, while others look short of confidence, but it's down to Howe to make the best of a shitty hand.

So while there are concerns, Howe's minor miracles of previous seasons has earned him the chance to put those right. He still fully has my backing until it becomes evident he's taken the club as far as he's able to.

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Mental how many fans seem keen on Mourinho. Not sure I’d bother much if he ever gets the job tbh.

Obviously I want is to keep Eddie and for him to push on but people fancying Mourinho shouldn’t be surprising given he’s won practically everything in the game. 

My biggest concern at present is when teams put up even the slightest bit of resistance we seem to buckle and turn to shit. Where have the leaders who were so present last season gone. If Trippier isn't playing we don't have a single player that takes control. Bruno has had to cool it understandably but others need to step up. Our press is so half arsed we might as well not be pressing at all.

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Obviously I want is to keep Eddie and for him to push on but people fancying Mourinho shouldn’t be surprising given he’s won practically everything in the game. 

Hasnt it been quite a while since he won anything significant though?

Just now, Displayname said:

Hasnt it been quite a while since he won anything significant though?

Won silverware with Roma if I’m not wrong. 

Point being he’s a genuine legend and a massive name; of course a small section of the fanbase would be thinking he’d be a good appointment 

1 minute ago, pubteam said:

My biggest concern at present is when teams put up even the slightest bit of resistance we seem to buckle and turn to shit. Where have the leaders who were so present last season gone. If Trippier isn't playing we don't have a single player that takes control. Bruno has had to cool it understandably but others need to step up. Our press is so half arsed we might as well not be pressing at all.

The togetherness does not seem to be there like it was last season. When Dubs made that error against Bournemouth, i dont recall anyone going to him to have have a word, everyone just dropped heads and turned away. There where few worrying sings of giving up yesterday at the end,  Longstaff for example just gave the ball away without any concern. It is not a happy camp.

6 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

He’s been finished for years, pisses everyone off after alienating players and every club improves when he leaves.

I watched Liverpool the other day and they absolutely swarmed all over City and didn't allow them to settle. Reminded me of how we played last season but performances this season are worlds apart

4 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Won silverware with Roma if I’m not wrong. 

Point being he’s a genuine legend and a massive name; of course a small section of the fanbase would be thinking he’d be a good appointment 

He won conferance and finished 6-7th in his 2 seasons there before being sacked this season after dissapointing results.

A legend, but a finished legend.