Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, Ikon said:

I've been against the signing of Barnes in a way from the beginning. Said he's a good effective player but not the type we need or for that side either. 

As fans we're never gonna get the exact team we want to see. I make it pretty clear that I want to see a Rodri type in this side, but it's not gonna happen. I'm not gonna blame Howe for it - weirdly the proven Premier league manager thinks differently to a guy sat on his laptop. That doesn't make the transfer window a disaster* - the suspension and injuries are the disaster.

* The Hall thing is a bit weird though, admittedly.

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Chances are, if we'd kept Maxi, we'd not have signed Barnes or Livramento. Howe pretty much alluded to this at the time. It gave us some wiggle room.

Short-term this season it might have made us better, but what about when the time came to replace Trippier for instance. Would a player like Livramento have been available to us? 

I think Tino is the right signing to do though. Not Barnes. I see Barnes as a bit of waste of money compared to Tino who has massive potential as well as already being very good. Even if not replacing Trippier directly.

I dont think Barnes is the right choice, neither is he a good "investment". Tino was worth the spend even if not starting straight away.

Edited by Ikon

3 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Fucking crazy that people are talking about moving Howe on. Give your heads a shake.

Still 100% backing from me. 4th last year, and the escape the year before, were miracles. This year, 4th was always going to be much harder than last year just because of the extra games, and other teams strengthening around us. 7th would've always been an "OK" season this year.

Throw in Tonali's ban and an injury crisis the likes of which we've never seen before and the season is a write-off. We just need to limp home and try again next year. If 7th was decent coming into this season, 11th isn't sacking level when you consider the above too. It's barely even disappointing. If anything, it's inevitable given what's happened.

I'd be gutted if he left, and absolutely devastated if some dinosaur like Mourinho came in to replace him.

It's absolutely crazy to even be discussing it, and doing it would reflect extremely badly on the owners. Personally I've had enough of supporting a circus. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

I think Tino is the right signing to do though. Not Barnes. I see Barnes as a bit of waste of money compared to Tino who has massive potential as well as already being very good. Even if not replacing Trippier directly.

I dont think Barnes is the right choice, neither is he a good "investment".

I'm not sure about Barnes TBH. One thing we needed was goals from wide areas and Barnes is all about that. I don't think there is another more natural goalscorer in the squad outside of Isak and Wilson. 

It's true that it's a shame he plays the same side as Gordon, but we do want good options and Gordon himself is very versatile. 

Ultimately if Barnes had stayed fit we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I'm not sure about Barnes TBH. One thing we needed was goals from wide areas and Barnes is all about that. I don't think there is another more natural goalscorer in the squad outside of Isak and Wilson. 

It's true that it's a shame he plays the same side as Gordon, but we do want good options and Gordon himself is very versatile. 

Ultimately if Barnes had stayed fit we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. 

Injuries can't be an excuse though dude.

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Maybe between us no, but i've been against the Barnes signing to a degree from the beginning, for many reasons.

Edited by Ikon

The only thing I'm genuinely annoyed about is how he's handled Gordon and a few others in the last month or so.

The rest is kind of 'whatever, see you in August.'

One huge reason we had the best defence in the league last season and not so much this season, was because we had Pope, we had a consistent eleven that didn't see many injuries, and was rarely meddled with, we also had natural leaders in the first eleven more often than this season, Trippier, Wilson, Joelinton, Burn, Pope.

Right now we've got an inconsistent eleven, missing leaders, and players playing their first season and still learning the game.

37 minutes ago, simonsays said:

I have a feeling he will get the England job after the Euros - as much as I hope he will stay I think him taking over from Southgate could let the owners get the higher profile manager many think they want without the indignity of sacking Howe.

Would explain a lot

Two things give me hope about Barnes, his stats and Leicester fans' reaction to him leaving (from what I read online). This is all a distraction anyway, it was Tonali who made our transfer window a disaster and that's down to him. I also have far more reservations about him being a success on the pitch than Barnes. 

Edited by macphisto

10 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

One huge reason we had the best defence in the league last season and not so much this season, was because we had Pope, we had a consistent eleven that didn't see many injuries, and was rarely meddled with, we also had natural leaders in the first eleven more often than this season, Trippier, Wilson, Joelinton, Burn, Pope.

Right now we've got an inconsistent eleven, missing leaders, and players playing their first season and still learning the game.

Agree but would add: Our gameplan last season seemed different, as well. Felt as though we'd press the living daylight out of the opposing side for about 45 minutes, we'd inevitably catch them out and grab a goal or two, and then second half we'd sit much deeper and defend for our lives, block passing and shooting lanes, and hang on for dear life.

We don't really do the high pressing bit anymore (we did for about 5-10 minutes last night, though), and I suspect a lot of that is just down to fitness/injuries.

We need to have a strong end to the season. If we’re still continuing to concede like we are doing and fail to improve our points per game ratio, I would be open-minded to a change in the summer.

I really hate the idea of just writing off a season as well. Not sure if people just use it as a comfort blanket against expectations, but it’s the type of sentiment I want the club to move on from.

A bottom-half finish would represent a very poor season in my view. 

12 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Not a chance be manages England any time in the best future. 

Who do you think gets it?

15 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

:lol: What would it explain?

Hall. Targett's injury. Why Ashworth is wanted by Man United. Why the atmosphere isn't always great. The Wood hattrick. Bruno's no-look pass. All of that stuff.

The owners have stated on multiple occasions that they are patient, long-term investors, we need to be patient too with this IMO. Howe is extremely good at developing players. Get the recruitment right and the academy working and he will produce the goods.

Sometimes circumstances lead to shitty outcomes. This season is one of those cases IMO. Get what we can out of this season, reload and go again with full support.

Edited by Dr Venkman

11 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

We need to have a strong end to the season. If we’re still continuing to concede like we are doing and fail to improve our points per game ratio, I would be open-minded to a change in the summer.

I really hate the idea of just writing off a season as well. Not sure if people just use it as a comfort blanket against expectations, but it’s the type of sentiment I want the club to move on from.

A bottom-half finish would represent a very poor season in my view. 

We should still finish in the top 10, but the reason I'm mostly writing it off is I think it's just the reality of the situation. We're still missing key players and most of our first XI is in desperate need of a summer break. It's the most obvious explanation for why we just look different.

3 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

The owners have stated on multiple occasions that they are patient, long-term investors, we need to be patient too with this IMO. Howe is extremely good at developing players. Get the recruitment right and the academy working and he will produce the goods.

Sometimes circumstances lead to shitty outcomes. This season is one of those cases IMO. Get what we can out of this season, reload and go again with full support.

We'll learn a lot about the leadership if we finish 11th.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

We'll learn a lot about the leadership if we finish 11th.

Its incredibly difficult for us to finish 11th. If we do I'd imagine the Saudis step in.