Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

3 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

A. Give a hot take. B. People criticize your hot take. C. Claim that you guess you can’t even have an opinion. D. Repeat.

Bloody Cliquers piling on the truth tellers tbh. 

6 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

And attitudes like this are why we'll never be winning. If we accept defeat cos "they're better than us" we'll never get anywhere. We should be looking to win every game regardless of opposition, and until we have that we'll always be the also rans

or when we've had 18 players from a 25 man squad missing for most of the season? players that are champion but Eddie improved?

Just to reiterate for those who seem to think PIF may want Howe out and will be ruthless. Nothing at all since they took over suggests this, in fact it’s quite the opposite.

8 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

- 2 wins off 6th with 10 games to go and a favourable fixture list

- 2 cup competition QF's with the cuntiest fixture run I've ever seen To get there. (1 minute away from a semi)

-10 minutes away from knockout stages of the CL in the group of death

Who's brave enough to admit that they wouldnt have taken that at the beginning of the season and why? 

I mean there are obviously a number of reasons that it hasn't been a disaster but no, I wouldn't have taken that :lol:

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Just to reiterate for those who seem to think PIF may want Howe out and will be ruthless. Nothing at all since they took over suggests this, in fact it’s quite the opposite.

But.. But.. They don't settle for anything but The Best

11 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Ofcourse i wouldnt have taken that. Thats doesnt necessarily mean Howe has done a bad job this season considering the circumstances(if we are looking strictly at the results).

You wouldn't have taken all that?

14 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

- 2 cup competition QF's with the cuntiest fixture run I've ever seen To get there. (1 minute away from a semi)

Who's brave enough to admit that they wouldnt have taken that at the beginning of the season and why? 

Why would anyone have taken that at the start of the season ?

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

This is the first time there has been this run of form since he was appointed, so don't know where the previous comes in. If form improves, I've no doubt he will be in place next season, if not, then I personally think he may well be gone. We will see though, hopefully we will finish the season well.

Edited by et tu brute

TBF to Howe, we've seen the team he wants to play maybe once this season against Aston villa on the opening day, that turned out quite well. I don't think any manager could have done much better with the available resources.

2 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

You wouldn't have taken all that?

Why would anyone?

"We'll get horrendous draws in all the cup competitions and consequently win nowt. Also we'll be 10th with ten games to go. Deal?"

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Why would anyone have taken that at the start of the season ?

Crikey. I thought Newcastle fans were realistic. 

There's literally never been a team outside the established top 6 to requalify for the CL and we haven't had 1 QF for nearly a decade. 

What we're people expecting?! I swear everyone said they'd be happy with a top 7?

2 minutes ago, pubteam said:

TBF to Howe, we've seen the team he wants to play maybe once this season against Aston villa on the opening day, that turned out quite well. I don't think any manager could have done much better with the available resources.

We’ve had lots of injuries and whatever, but there has been many more occasions where we could/should have been able to do better. 

1 minute ago, Thumbheed said:

There's literally never been a team outside the established top 6 to requalify for the CL and we haven't had 1 QF for nearly a decade. 

What we're people expecting?! I swear everyone said they'd be happy with a top 7?

I’m not saying it’s terrible, but at the start of a season coming of 4th and adding Tonali, I wouldn’t have snapped your hand off at two cup exits and being tenth.

6 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

This is the first time there has been this run of form since he was appointed, so don't know where the previous comes in. If form improves, I've no doubt he will be in place next season, if not, then I personally think he may well be gone. We will see though, hopefully we will finish the season well.

Agreed, I was talking more generally in all aspects of running the club. Have they made one ruthless move ? Even in terms of FFP etc, we have seemingly accepted everything.

He deserves to get at least the first dozen games next season, but he is going to have to learn to stop picking his favourites if they're playing shite and develop a plan B if we go behind in games.

3 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Yes but we aren't 7th are we? Even in your scenario we're "two wins off sixth" 

1 hour ago, Keegans Export said:

This is 100% my position. 

The season is absolutely not f**king over. With players returning to fitness, no other competitions to distract us, a favourable run of fixtures and European football still within our grasp I don't want to see any evidence that the squad as a whole are thinking "season is over".

28 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

4-1 PSG has to be one of the legendary results for the club too, seeing that was pretty fucking magical.

11 minutes ago, Shak said:

Why would anyone?

"We'll get horrendous draws in all the cup competitions and consequently win nowt. Also we'll be 10th with ten games to go. Deal?"

"2 QF's and 6 points off 6th with 10 games to go"

"No thanks"

I'm struggling to comprehend how the difference between taking the above and something I assume you'd have taken (6th/7th) is just 2 extra wins this season?

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’m not saying it’s terrible, but at the start of a season coming of 4th and adding Tonali, I wouldn’t have snapped your hand off at two cup exits and being tenth.

But then you’ve completed neglected the fact that last year was a massive over achievement and that this year we’ve had our worst injury crisis in recent memory. Not a great season, finish it, move on to the next. 

I think this season will be the absolute making of Eddie Howe and of us. He’ll have gone into the season believing in his methods but with question marks about whether they would work actually at the top level. He’s now been fully tested and will have learnt loss about  where he needs to improve and what the team needs to succeed. I’ve no doubt he’ll learn his lessons and implement them over the summer. I expect next year we’ll be comfortably top 6, the style will have developed a little, as will his use of the squad, and our squad composition will be almost bomb proof.

i just feel sorry for his wife and kids who absolutely won’t see him for the holidays!

4 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

4-1 PSG has to be one of the legendary results for the club too, seeing that was pretty fucking magical.

It's up there with Barca 3-2, if not better.

Core memory game, that. 

10 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Yes but we aren't 7th are we? Even in your scenario we're "two wins off sixth" 

So the difference is just 2 extra wins? That's it, that's the key and significant difference, right?

Madness.

1 minute ago, Elliottman said:

But then you’ve completed neglected the fact that last year was a massive over achievement and that this year we’ve had our worst injury crisis in recent memory. Not a great season, finish it, move on to the next. 

But the original post was asking if before the season started I would have accepted it. We aren’t including the injury crisis in it, unless I misread the post.