Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

15 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Do You Hear The People Sing? 

No, just whinging about how shit the team that *checks notes* won is.

3-3, 5 mins left, Toon gunning for the winner.... 

"empty chairs and empty tables" 

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Think there is a balance to be had, defensively we aren’t good enough, that’s probably an understatement.

Obviously there are reasons for it, but it’s been that bad consistently now for a couple of months, we pretty much concede the same goals and chances every match and nothing seems to have improved. Hopefully the return of Pope and others (maybe not until next season) will see us back to our best. 

I always look back to the Arsenal home game earlier in the season, our best defensive performance by a mile this season. Give me hope going into next season. 

What the injuries this season has shown is how tactically limited Howe is, he has made hardly any adjustments to the formation or tactics despite having key players missing that make the system work.

It appears he has no idea how to compensate for not having a keeper that comes out to sweep up, yet still goes with the same tactics meaning that we are conceding goals for fun.

Despite the injuries Europe is still achievable, the chasing pack seem that much worse this season so hopefully we can get it.

1 hour ago, Holmesy said:

Name one team that has won a cup or league in the past day 20 years conceding an average of 3 goals per game? 

Dunno, don’t really care, until someone names a team who has a season ending injury ever couple of weeks 

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

Dunno, don’t really care, until someone names a team who has a season ending injury ever couple of weeks 

And the raging pedantic voice in my head would point out that not even the 20th place team (who have conceded the most goals by far) has averaged conceding 3 goals a game.

Shit manager, has no plan did how to deal with our best players being out injured all season. Should have played all the shite kids our previous regime didn’t bother training instead.

honestly, this season has been frustrating as fuck but at least it’s shown us that some of our fans already had tediously unrealistic views on where the club should be.

I think you’re missing a really obvious point, yeh: you’re demanding him to change when he’s barely had an option to do so all year. Fair enough if you think Lascelles > Botman or Hall > Burn makes that significant a difference.

Were we conceding 3 a game prior to the current Joelinton and Pope injuries?

15 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

What the injuries this season has shown is how tactically limited Howe is, he has made hardly any adjustments to the formation or tactics despite having key players missing that make the system work.

It appears he has no idea how to compensate for not having a keeper that comes out to sweep up, yet still goes with the same tactics meaning that we are conceding goals for fun.

Despite the injuries Europe is still achievable, the chasing pack seem that much worse this season so hopefully we can get it.

Or maaaaaybe the back ups aren’t very good because the squad isn’t that deeeeeeeep so they’re just not as good the players we’d ideally pick so we’re having to play against both elite opposition and with one hand behind our back and we’re still winning a lot of the games and with a very plausible chance of Europa League and having created some of the best football memories for the club ever including yesterday and I dont recognise grammar as a currency anymore

Edited by Theregulars

42 minutes ago, ShootShoot said:

In my 60s , whats a computer ? 😎

Read that in a Mark E Smith voice for some reason [emoji38]

Edited by madras

6 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Or maaaaaybe the back ups aren’t very good because the squad isn’t that deeeeeeeep so they’re just not as good the players we’d ideally pick so we’re having to play against both elite opposition and with one hand behind our back and we’re still winning a lot of the games and with a very plausible chance of Europa League and having created some of the best football memories for the club ever including yesterday and I dont recognise grammar as a currency anymore

It seems you are the one missing the point now, as you seem to be quoting me and arguing against a point that I haven’t even made.

A good old straw man fallacy.

Edited by Matt1892

1 minute ago, Matt1892 said:

It seems you are the one missing the point now, as you seem to quoting me and arguing against a point that I haven’t even made.

A good old straw man fallacy.

Pardon?! Very much an arguing a point you’ve made. Perhaps just not in a way you understand, bucko

Just now, Theregulars said:

Essentially someone should dilute this thread into a picture of Eddie Howe and a pint glass 284 ml full, and use AI to repeat ad infinitum. 

Or is it 284.261ml empty ?

10 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

He’s been bailed out by the players yesterday, in fairness to them, they looked like feeling sorry for themselves and heads had dropped.. so there’s obviously some amount of team spirit there to regain that composure.

But we were shocking for 50 minutes of the game.. as bad as I’ve seen us since he arrived. Piss poor at the back, even when Lascelles was still on the pitch.

And as much as the subs had a positive effect. (Hall was great), if West Ham hadn’t brought off their striker to replace him with Philips.. I’m not sure we’d have had a sniff. They gave us encouragement to attack them.

You can’t not celebrate winners like that yesterday but many cracks/papering over is still the case.

You're a knob. Sorry. 

32 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Peps win rate goes from 75% to 50% when Rodri is out.

By your own logic that makes him tactically limited as he's unable to adjust his tactics to compensate for that despite having 24 other world class players at his disposal.

Now let's test his tactical nous when 7-8 first teamers are out. 

Edited by Thumbheed

Just now, Thumbheed said:

Peps win rate goes from 75% to 50% when Rodri is out.

By your own logic that makes him tactically limited as he's unable to adjust his tactics to compensate for that. 

Now let's test his tactical nous when 7-8 first teamers are out. 

You are missing the point too, as nobody is saying that you should still be as good when your better players are out.

Where he is tactically limited is where we set up with having a goalkeeper that sweeps up in Pope, meaning we can get away with a higher line, yet when Pope is out and replaced with a keeper that isn’t comfortable sweeping up, we still play with the high line and are done with long balls constantly.

35 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

I think you’re missing a really obvious point, yeh: you’re demanding him to change when he’s barely had an option to do so all year. Fair enough if you think Lascelles > Botman or Hall > Burn makes that significant a difference.

Were we conceding 3 a game prior to the current Joelinton and Pope injuries?

I’m not sure, probably not. 
Let me give you a scenario though. Steve Bruce is managing Newcastle. We have one player who is creating and scoring 90% of our goals, just one and we’re reliant on him (despite having a squad full of other players). Key player gets injured and we go a losing run. Bruce comes out to the media and says ‘of course we’re losing games, we’ve lost x player. We can’t win without him”

Do we all just accept that Bruce not trying to come up with an alternative plan to create goals in this player’s absence is ok? We just accept we’re going to lose games because obviously we can’t expect the manager to do anything about it? 
Of course we don’t, we go ape shit because it’s a clear demonstration and essentially an admission that he’s not very good at football management. 

So Joelinton/Pope get injured and we just accept that without those players the only option is to accept conceding 3 goals per game? There’s no other alternative? Eg. Changing the system to mitigate the loss of those players? Playing different players etc.

Nope, Joelinton’s injured, we can’t defend for shit now!! Get out there and score 4 again lads! 

Honestly, I’ve heard some nonsense! It’s literally the man’s job to find solutions to these problems. At the moment the solution is score more than three goals. Yesterday it worked great - happy days! Sometimes it won’t.
But it would seem that conceding fewer would give us a greater chance of winning games, and it would give me a lot more faith in the man for the future if he demonstrated he could do that. 

Edited by Holmesy

41 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

so do you want him sacked?

or do you keep him on and hope he'll learn. genuine question.

We should definitely only view Howe's tactical ability from the last few months while in exceptional circumstances, certainly not the 2 years prior.

There are some fantastic videos out there about his systems and tweaks with us while managing some canny limited players. A fairly massive part of tactics is having the right combination of personnel to fit, you can't force things that aren't there or consistently magic up some grand tactical wizardry to make up for big personnel deficits. 

Seems to me like he's felt he's had to just go with acceptable risks while he's not had loads to work with while trying to work towards our next evolution as a club. Saying things like 'we should just drop deeper' forget that doing that creates impacts elsewhere and isn't just some silver bullet.

Also, Howe seems to want to win and entertain. I personally love that as a platform far more than most of the alternatives in modern football.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

The only issue I have is Howe saying he's been playing injured players. 

1. Now that they've been reinjured it makes him look at fault

2. :frantic: <-- rotation