Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

5 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Well, apart from the first window we haven't been able to find that after the takeover. We were able to get Gordon, who turned out to be great, but he did nothing in the first 6 months.

I think it's less that we can't and more that we won't. Seemingly the deal has to be absolutely perfect for us to consider it. What we don't know is if that's on the board side or the Manager side.

And I guess that's one big 'if' about Eddie. If he is so particular about the players he's prepared to bring into the group that it severely limits our options.......

19 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

I think it's less that we can't and more that we won't. Seemingly the deal has to be absolutely perfect for us to consider it. What we don't know is if that's on the board side or the Manager side.

And I guess that's one big 'if' about Eddie. If he is so particular about the players he's prepared to bring into the group that it severely limits our options.......

Could also just be a control mechanism that means he gets to choose who we can pick so as not to upset the “group” apple cart. As I said in another post, other teams seam to manage it and maintain a good “group” mentality. 

1 hour ago, Pata said:

They didn’t really create much though, the second half chances were there due to us pushing up and individual howlers from mostly Tino. Think it very much was a ”if he had scored” match, if we go up 1-0 we IMO batter them.

I agree. I didn’t say that they created a lot. I just said that we created one more big chance than them. I’m not too down after the result even though it’s frustrating. We looked good, but we need to sort out some things and I’m sure we will. Also there’s still PLENTY of games to play. 

I agree that had Isak scored then we probably would have went on to win It, but he didn’t. We beat Spurs for example, and I remember them missing a couple of good chances.  It’s as pointless as talking like “had we beat them and them and had we scored that big chance the we would have been 2nd in the league”

Having said all that, I’m reasonably optimistic about the rest of the season. One thing I see as vital though is that we MUST improve the creativity/technical ability in the team in January. I’ll be very disappointed if these kind of attributes aren’t one of the most important attributes we seek when it comes to player profiles. They don’t need to be midgets because of this. 

Edited by Ikon

4 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I agree. I didn’t say that they created a lot. I just said that we created one more big chance than them. I’m not too down after the result even though it’s frustrating. We looked good, but we need to sort out some things and I’m sure we will. Also there’s still PLENTY of games to play. 

I agree that had Isak scored then we probably would have went on to win It, but he didn’t. We beat Spurs for example, and I remember them missing a couple of good chances.  It’s as pointless as talking like “had we beat them and them and had we scored that big chance the we would have been 2nd in the league”

Having said all that, I’m reasonably optimistic about the rest of the season. One thing I see as vital though is that we MUST improve the creativity/technical ability in the team in January. I’ll be very disappointed if these kind of attributes aren’t one of the most important attributes we seek when it comes to player profiles. They don’t need to be midgets because of this. 

Mitchell has already highlighted the need for technical ability to be added to the group (can’t find the quote, but that’s what he implied).

1 hour ago, Holmesy said:

That's why I said "for an okay price" in my post, and that this is easier said than done. I assume that if we had been able to bring in good players for a decent price in previous windows, we would've done so. Mitchell coming it doesn't change the price of players, unless he somehow is an amazing negotiator.

16 minutes ago, CPL said:

Floating set penis to Mike Williamson! 

can only remember that working at home to Everton in 2014 just before Pardew left for Palace. Think it was Cisse who scored from it. 

Randomly looking at various stats and I noticed that we're the only club in the league that hasn't scored in the first 30 minutes of a game. We're also the only club in the league with an xG below 1.00 in minutes 1-15 and 16-30. Bournemouth hasn't scored in the first 15 minutes and Brighton is the other noticeable slow starter based on xG, but they've created and scored more than us early.

I agree the Brighton game likely goes differently had Isak put that chance away, but unfortunately not scoring early and not playing with the lead are par for the course this season. Only Ipswich and Palace have played less minutes with a lead (and Man United the same as us). We've played 88.1% of our games either level or losing (634 of 720 minutes, not counting time added) and have only scored first twice -- Southampton and Spurs. 

9 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Randomly looking at various stats and I noticed that we're the only club in the league that hasn't scored in the first 30 minutes of a game. We're also the only club in the league with an xG below 1.00 in minutes 1-15 and 16-30. Bournemouth hasn't scored in the first 15 minutes and Brighton is the other noticeable slow starter based on xG, but they've created and scored more than us early.

I agree the Brighton game likely goes differently had Isak put that chance away, but unfortunately not scoring early and not playing with the lead are par for the course this season. Only Ipswich and Palace have played less minutes with a lead (and Man United the same as us). We've played 88.1% of our games either level or losing (634 of 720 minutes, not counting time added) and have only scored first twice -- Southampton and Spurs. 

There's definitely something significant in this point and it really hit home at the weekend.

Scoring early has been a huge part of our gameplan, especially last season, where we scored 23 times in this window across all competitions - often more than once. And when we scored within 30 minutes last year, we almost always won (W15-D5-L1).

We like to come out of the traps but it's clear that when we're really, really having to work for the first goal, it's affecting us. Guess it's a mentality gap.

22 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

There's definitely something significant in this point and it really hit home at the weekend.

Scoring early has been a huge part of our gameplan, especially last season, where we scored 23 times in this window across all competitions - often more than once. And when we scored within 30 minutes last year, we almost always won (W15-D5-L1).

We like to come out of the traps but it's clear that when we're really, really having to work for the first goal, it's affecting us. Guess it's a mentality gap.

I thought about this last game. How often do we equalize or score a winner in the last 10 min of a match? And even worse, how often do we do it in stoppage time? When we passed the 80 min mark, it felt like the game was over already. Not just looking at this season, but 2024 overall.

Edit: We've actually rescued some point around the 75-80 min mark this season, so my recollection was a bit bad here.

Edited by Erikse

18 minutes ago, Erikse said:

I thought about this last game. How often do we equalize or score a winner in the last 10 min of a match? And even worse, how often do we do it in stoppage time? When we passed the 80 min mark, it felt like the game was over already. Not just looking at this season, but 2024 overall.

Edit: We've actually rescued some point around the 75-80 min mark this season, so my recollection was a bit bad here.

I do tend to agree with you in the way that we attack games. We do often seem like we have run out of steam late on a lot of the while. 

But this season alone, Isak against Spurs on 78 minutes to win us the match. Gordon at Bournemouth after 76 mins to rescue a point. Schar 75 and Barnes 80 at Wolves to nick all 3. Last season there were some late shows and all. Good and bad ones! 

We were getting results without playing well for long spells this season. Everyone said the energy levels were miles off and there was no intensity like a usual Howe team.

The last two league games. I feel like that has been back in spades and it’s the best we’ve played all season. Yet we were a bit clueless and toothless late on and somehow come away with only 1 point. Deserved 6 I think. Yet we probably nicked points we didn’t fully deserve earlier in the season. Funny old game.  

Perhaps there is a balance to be found. Not going shit or bust early and then losing our way. But also not trudging along and being abject for 60 minutes or so. Allowing the other team loads of chances and territory whilst we mope around the pitch like zombies. 

Just sort of on the subject of previous games. The Bournemouth point actually looks good now. They played Chelsea off the park and somehow lost. They beat Arsenal, albeit against 10 men and they battered Southampton. They’ve looked good at home. 

15 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I do tend to agree with you in the way that we attack games. We do often seem like we have run out of steam late on a lot of the while. 

But this season alone, Isak against Spurs on 78 minutes to win us the match. Gordon at Bournemouth after 76 mins to rescue a point. Schar 75 and Barnes 80 at Wolves to nick all 3. Last season there were some late shows and all. Good and bad ones! 

We were getting results without playing well for long spells this season. Everyone said the energy levels were miles off and there was no intensity like a usual Howe team.

The last two league games. I feel like that has been back in spades and it’s the best we’ve played all season. Yet we were a bit clueless and toothless late on and somehow come away with only 1 point. Deserved 6 I think. Yet we probably nicked points we didn’t fully deserve earlier in the season. Funny old game.  

Perhaps there is a balance to be found. Not going shit or bust early and then losing our way. But also not trudging along and being abject for 60 minutes or so. Allowing the other team loads of chances and territory whilst we mope around the pitch like zombies. 

Just sort of on the subject of previous games. The Bournemouth point actually looks good now. They played Chelsea off the park and somehow lost. They beat Arsenal, albeit against 10 men and they battered Southampton. They’ve looked good at home. 

Yeah, I realised after I posted that we've scored some late goals this season. Mostly long distance shots I think, but still fine. Last season we mostly lost points at the end of games. Partly down to players being too tired at the end. So that's what I remembered, but in the last couple of games I think due to the visible frustration, lack of confidence, and the gamestate, you just have that feeling that there's such a low chance.

Edited by Erikse

2 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Yeah, I realised after I posted that we've scored some late goals this season. Mostly long distance shots I think, but still fine. Last season we mostly lost points at the end of games. Partly down to players being too tired at the end. So that's what I remembered, but in the last couple of games I think due to the visible frustration and lack of confidence you just have that feeling that there's such a low chance.

Two tap ins. Two outside the box. 

We did have late goals last season, though. Or games we came back late’ish. West Ham, Wolves, was Ritchie against Bournemouth last kick? Probably some others and all. 

Usually because we were often behind after a terrible period in the game and had to gung ho to get a result :lol: 

He seems to setup his 4-3-3 and player selection and hope results will improve. Very stubborn. in games that are getting away from us you never see him play orthodox wingers miggy left gordon right to stretch there defence. 

When we need a goal he'd rather bring on a Longstaff or a defender instead of giving the forward a chance. Weird decisions in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

Two tap ins. Two outside the box. 

We did have late goals last season, though. Or games we came back late’ish. West Ham, Wolves, was Ritchie against Bournemouth last kick? Probably some others and all. 

Usually because we were often behind after a terrible period in the game and had to gung ho to get a result :lol: 

Had a look, points taken last 20 min for the entire 23/24 season:

Apr 6 vs Fulham 1-0 (81)

March 30 vs West Ham (77, 83, 90) 4-3

Feb 17 vs Bournemouth (90+2) 2-2

So we took points in the last 20 minutes 3 times all of last season. We've actually done better on that this season, I guess. But we killed a lot of games last season, and also had fatigue issues, so ofcourse there are reasons for it.

Edited by Erikse

9 minutes ago, andycap said:

He seems to setup his 4-3-3 and player selection and hope results will improve. Very stubborn. in games that are getting away from us you never see him play orthodox wingers miggy left gordon right to stretch there defence. 

When we need a goal he'd rather bring on a Longstaff or a defender instead of giving the forward a chance. Weird decisions in my opinion. 

It’s always a change of personnel and never a change of system. 

11 minutes ago, andycap said:

I think there’s a reason why no team uses orthodox wingers anymore, there’s data available that shows inverted wingers is better. Murphy playing right is actually weird in the modern game.