Newcastle United Women - Champions and Promoted

toontownman

2 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Ooof, grim stuff but as anticipated.  Who was released?  Or is it still not public knowledge?

Not public knowledge yet , they are all in today getting their end of season reviews / one to ones with management 

Lots of unhappy players today.

Expected though. 

I am shocked at 4/5 of the names , very disappointing for the players involved.

They did say last night at the awards they want to get into the women’s champions league as soon as possible.

Seems like money is no object for the women’s team and it will be wholesale changes year after year until they reach the top !

Posted (edited)

Ah wey, best of luck to them and they'll always be my team but I'll probably just watch them on the telly from now if that's the approach and the team has been broken up immediately :thdn:  I'll have to get you that pint another time stifler

Edited by OpenC

7 minutes ago, Iwantcurlyhair2 said:

Not looking forward to seeing the list. I convinced myself this wouldn't happen.

It was always going to happen. If you want success, which the owners do, then constant improvement is the way, especially as there are less constraints than the men's game

26 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Not public knowledge yet , they are all in today getting their end of season reviews / one to ones with management 

Lots of unhappy players today.

Expected though. 

I am shocked at 4/5 of the names , very disappointing for the players involved.

They did say last night at the awards they want to get into the women’s champions league as soon as possible.

Seems like money is no object for the women’s team and it will be wholesale changes year after year until they reach the top !

Guess the real reason Amanda dodged the awards has been revealed. Probably couldnt look them in the eyes knowing what was coming a day later.

3 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Guess the real reason Amanda dodged the awards has been revealed. Probably couldnt look them in the eyes knowing what was coming a day later.

No that's one thing Staveley has in abundance bottle 

23 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

No that's one thing Staveley has in abundance bottle 

Ok conveniently timed 'meeting' then

It will be interesting to see the retained list, sounds like there'll be as many released as staying on.

Olivia Watt was the Fans player of the year, Emma Kelly was the Players player, Hannah Greenwood was the Manager's Player, so while not guaranteed, you'd assume those would be kept on. Boddy has a good reputation and has generally impressed whenever she has played, and is still really young, so it would be a huge shock if she left (from a being deemed 'good enough' POV anyway), Cataldo and PBG were just signed in January, from the league above, almost certainly with the 2nd tier in mind, so it would be a surprise if they were to go. Potts always looked like she could play at a higher level, and just dropped so low because it was Newcastle. Stobbs was the captain, probably has another good 2-3 years in her, and has played at a higher level, so you'd assume she would be kept on, but if there's '9-10 released' including 'many first team regulars', then I'm not sure after that. You'd like to think some of the local players would still be there, especially Katie Barker with her still being young and improving, but if there are wholesale changes, I can see most of those who were in the 4th tier being released, especially if they are over 25. I might be missing someone obvious, but without wanting to name specific names and say 'so and so could be in trouble', I think anyone that I haven't named could be disappointed - there will be 5 or so others kept on as there's only 9 players I've named, so another 5, and then up to 9 new signings would make a 23 women squad.

It is a shame, and the team has definitely become much more integrated with the wider club, more involved in promotional material, and of course every home game was streamed, so you feel you know more about them, but I guess if you want to push on and get to be where you eventually want to be, then it's not massively unexpected.

2 minutes ago, Paullow said:

It will be interesting to see the retained list, sounds like there'll be as many released as staying on.

Olivia Watt was the Fans player of the year, Emma Kelly was the Players player, Hannah Greenwood was the Manager's Player, so while not guaranteed, you'd assume those would be kept on. Boddy has a good reputation and has generally impressed whenever she has played, and is still really young, so it would be a huge shock if she left (from a being deemed 'good enough' POV anyway), Cataldo and PBG were just signed in January, from the league above, almost certainly with the 2nd tier in mind, so it would be a surprise if they were to go. Potts always looked like she could play at a higher level, and just dropped so low because it was Newcastle. Stobbs was the captain, probably has another good 2-3 years in her, and has played at a higher level, so you'd assume she would be kept on, but if there's '9-10 released' including 'many first team regulars', then I'm not sure after that. You'd like to think some of the local players would still be there, especially Katie Barker with her still being young and improving, but if there are wholesale changes, I can see most of those who were in the 4th tier being released, especially if they are over 25. I might be missing someone obvious, but without wanting to name specific names and say 'so and so could be in trouble', I think anyone that I haven't named could be disappointed - there will be 5 or so others kept on as there's only 9 players I've named, so another 5, and then up to 9 new signings would make a 23 women squad.

It is a shame, and the team has definitely become much more integrated with the wider club, more involved in promotional material, and of course every home game was streamed, so you feel you know more about them, but I guess if you want to push on and get to be where you eventually want to be, then it's not massively unexpected.

One of those released mentioned above 👆🏼 and is very surprising 

2 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

One of those released mentioned above 👆🏼 and is very surprising 

Barker?

Ah man, that's a real shame if the team is being taken apart. From following online, watching the games and the content they put out on social media I've started to get to know names and characters which for me has helped with building that connection to the team from afar. Gutted for those being let go - feels ruthless.

I'm going to feel like a grieving father here. Wish I didn't get so emotionally attached as I do. Was planning on taking bereavement leave if Joelinton hadn't signed his contract and since then hoped this summer was going to be all positive. This club man, it really causes anxiety every which way, even if its for the long term benefit.

17 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

PBG

That the lass they signed in January up front?

I was saying to @OpenC that I’m not convinced by her.

In all honesty it was always going to happen. They have had back to back promotions and need to go again. The WSL is under new managements from next season. They don’t know what the future holds. Will they be cutting clubs off and go through an application process? Will they introduce salary caps or transfer caps?

In terms of the club overall, you just know that the next FFP/PSR will be no longer excluding the women’s teams.

NUFC needs to be in there before all that happens. Ok the girls we have now might reach the level to do that in a few years, but do we have that time?

I wish all the girls who do get released all the best, they have shown that they can perform at a higher level, and hopefully they will get offers from other clubs.

I was kind of expecting 4 decent quality signings to push 4 regular starters to the bench, and then 4 or 5 squad players to naturally leave the club, and for the club to look to have a Blackburn / Sheff Utd season next year whereby they stay up comfortably, never in any relegation trouble, nor threaten the top 3 or 4 clubs, and then look for a promotion push the year after, and maybe achieving it that year, or the following year if they just missed out. That way, the majority of the starters of today could have had another 2 or 3 years at the club, most of those as a regular, but if they are looking for CL football as quickly as possibly then who in the regular 15/16 match day squad will think they have a future here beyond 2 years max - it surely can't be more than 2 or 3?

I guess they'd always know there was a chance this would happen, but it must be pretty grim for the players seeing all the away fans at Burnley and Wolves, the big home crowds, especially vs Liverpool Feds and the bumper crowd vs Huddersfield, and of course the matches at SJP, and then a few weeks later seeing half the squad leave, and the majority of them knowing that they will likely be away themselves sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, OpenC said:

Ah wey, best of luck to them and they'll always be my team but I'll probably just watch them on the telly from now if that's the approach and the team has been broken up immediately :thdn:  I'll have to get you that pint another time stifler

Aye, not much room for sporting romance. I’ll be watching but I don’t love the idea of just buying our way there as soon as possible