Realistic Transfer Targets (2024/25)

joeyt

Salisu looked like a serious prospect last season. Not sure what his story is this year because every time I've attempted to watch a Southampton match this season I've ended up preferring to do literally anything else but watch them.

Edited by Kid Icarus

15 hours ago, Ace said:

There is so much talent around Europe at much more affordable prices

Spain, Portugal, Italy, Germany and France have leagues with plenty of quality.

IMO it will be a mistake to blow our wad on premier league players 

There’s a premium on PL players because there’s less risk associated. Buying a high-performing player (at the right age) from your own league almost guarantees the success of that transfer. Not to mention the bedding in period needed for players from other leagues. A good transfer policy should have a mix of both PL and other league transfer targets.

I would say though, you’re getting less value from the continent these days too. Nunez, Antony and Scammaca went for 80, 80 and 35m respectively so it’s not as cut and dry as you’re making out.

4 minutes ago, Mikky said:

I think Ugarte and Gabri Veiga are my 2 preferred signings for midfield this summer 

Have watched Gabri Veiga a few times now - a cross between Gazza and Maddison - literally perfect for the 8 role - has everything and if rumoured fee is £35m - it’s a absolute steal for a 20 year old with massive upside 

Could be a very very good signing. Especially for the price of the rumoured release clause. Him and Ugarte and it’s looking good when it comes to midfield. I imagine that lots of clubs will try for him though. At our club he would get plenty more game time compared at others. Plus an exciting project.

Edited by Ikon

One thought that excites me is having a midfielder capable of finishing the chances that drop here and there inside and just outside the penalty area. We have quite a few chances per game where a top quality finisher filling in from midfield could score quite a lot of “extra” goals. 

Just now, Ikon said:

One thought that excites me is having a midfielder capable of finishing the chances that drop here and there inside and just outside the penalty area. We have quite a few chances per game where a top quality finisher filling in from midfield could score quite a lot of “extra” goals. 

There’s a bit of Bruno as an 8 about Veiga - technically so so good - it’s more the Gazza similarity that excites me

1 minute ago, Mikky said:

There’s a bit of Bruno as an 8 about Veiga - technically so so good - it’s more the Gazza similarity that excites me

Aye looks very good from the little I’ve seen. Proper shot on him too. 

Edited by Ikon

If we make the Champions League how do you lot see our midfield three going into next season?

I think I'd like to see Joelinton, Bruno and a new top central midfielder in the main first 11.

With Willock, Longstaff and a new younger Bruno alternative as the rotational guys.

Thoughts?

This is where I've got us as it currently stands, coming into the summer:

Pope

Dúbravka

Karius

--

Trippier

Krafth

Schär

XXXXX (centre-back capable of playing right-back if needed)

Lascelles

Botman

Burn

XXXXX (pure left-back)

Targett 

--

Joelinton

S. Longstaff

Guimarães

XXXXX (defensive-minded central midfielder)

Willock

XXXXX (offensive-minded central midfielder/number ten)

Anderson [U21]

--

XXXXX (goalscoring winger, ideally capable of playing up front)

Almirón

Murphy

Saint-Maximin

Gordon

--

Isak

Wilson

Kuol [U21]

----

If we qualify for the Europa League/Conference League instead of the Champions League, I'd keep Ashby here and give him all of our cup games. If we qualify for the Champions League, which I think we will, we probably need to get him out on loan somewhere that he can play week-in, week-out. Probably top-end Championship, bottom-end Premier League.

This would also mean I wouldn't bother signing another centre-back, as Ashby takes a squad place, unless it was an U21 that didn't need to be registered next season.

Kuol obviously needs a better loan, and I suppose more depth would give Anderson the chance to get out to somewhere decent if we qualify for the CL.

----

Have I missed anything?

Have to say, it's a proper novelty looking at a 25-man squad list plus a couple of youngsters and not thinking >50% of it is absolutely rotten.

I couldn't make a case to shift any of the names listed above, bar perhaps Lascelles, and even then I'd be pushing it based on how important he appears to be off the pitch.

Krafth is an unknown quantity after an injury of this severity, but I hope he makes as full a recovery as possible and goes on to play a big part here in the squad for another season or two yet. His performances last year have probably earned him that. Trippier needs his snus mule, an' all.

12 minutes ago, Rich said:

This is where I've got us as it currently stands, coming into the summer:

Pope

Dúbravka

Karius

--

Trippier

Krafth

Schär

XXXXX (centre-back capable of playing right-back if needed)

Lascelles

Botman

Burn

XXXXX (pure left-back)

Targett 

--

Joelinton

S. Longstaff

Guimarães

XXXXX (defensive-minded central midfielder)

Willock

XXXXX (offensive-minded central midfielder/number ten)

Anderson [U21]

--

XXXXX (goalscoring winger, ideally capable of playing up front)

Almirón

Murphy

Saint-Maximin

Gordon

--

Isak

Wilson

Kuol [U21]

----

If we qualify for the Europa League/Conference League instead of the Champions League, I'd keep Ashby here and give him all of our cup games. If we qualify for the Champions League, which I think we will, we probably need to get him out on loan somewhere that he can play week-in, week-out. Probably top-end Championship, bottom-end Premier League.

This would also mean I wouldn't bother signing another centre-back, as Ashby takes a squad place, unless it was an U21 that didn't need to be registered next season.

Kuol obviously needs a better loan, and I suppose more depth would give Anderson the chance to get out to somewhere decent if we qualify for the CL.

----

Have I missed anything?

Ah, so you'd like to see Willock remain in the first 11 then?

I love what he's done this season, but wonder if we could do with someone more clinical in the first team, by either pushing Bruno up there with a top DM coming in, or bringing in a top 8 that gets goals and assists more consistently with Bruno staying deep.

Taking a bit of pressure of Willock and allowing him a couple more seasons to continue to grow into a more permanent first team role.

For now, aye. I think he's been our best midfielder over the last month or so and has made that left-sided CM slot his own.

We've seen this season how fluid things can be in the wide positions and up front, I'd expect to see much more of that from next season when we've got more options and more need to juggle playing time.

We ideally want two players in every position where we're not cringing when one gets selected, and we're not a million miles away from that now.

If we make Europe I don’t think we need to think in terms of a first XI. Everyone will get plenty of game time and there’d need to be more rotation.

Edited by Smal

1 minute ago, Smal said:

If we make Europe I don’t think we need to think in terms of a first XI. Everyone will get plenty of game time and there’d need to be more rotation.

Yeah, for sure. If we are in the Champions League and going up against top competition, I was just more thinking who we'd be most likely to start with in those most difficult games that's all.

It's going to be very interesting to see how the squad shapes up over the summer. Looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, Mikky said:

I think Ugarte and Gabri Veiga are my 2 preferred signings for midfield this summer 

Yes but being greedy would also want a Milonkevic-Savic too. No chance of getting 3 CMs though. Just conscious of filling the middle with youngsters, need a blend of world class experience too.

19 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Yes but being greedy would also want a Milonkevic-Savic too. No chance of getting 3 CMs though. Just conscious of filling the middle with youngsters, need a blend of world class experience too.

No I think 2 is enough - otherwise you deviate from the style that got you to where you are

We have 

Bruno

Joelinton

Willock

Longstaff

Add

Veiga?

Ugarte?

Plus

Anderson (not loaning him out)

thats enough - can play 4231 - 433 - 442

2 hours ago, Mikky said:

I agree Ugarte maybe young but he’s cut it in European competition this season. 

I’ve gone off the idea of Maddison in recent weeks though he’s undoubtedly a great player. I think his injury record and the way we play with such high intensity just isn’t suited to him. 

Much better value on the continent and the summer gives us time to bed them in.

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

If we make the Champions League how do you lot see our midfield three going into next season?

I think I'd like to see Joelinton, Bruno and a new top central midfielder in the main first 11.

With Willock, Longstaff and a new younger Bruno alternative as the rotational guys.

Thoughts?

The 2 mentioned plus one of Ugarte, Kone or Thuram for me. Depending on which one will determine how we utilise Bruno.

Edited by Whitley mag

4 hours ago, McCormick said:

There’s a premium on PL players because there’s less risk associated. Buying a high-performing player (at the right age) from your own league almost guarantees the success of that transfer. Not to mention the bedding in period needed for players from other leagues. A good transfer policy should have a mix of both PL and other league transfer targets.

I would say though, you’re getting less value from the continent these days too. Nunez, Antony and Scammaca went for 80, 80 and 35m respectively so it’s not as cut and dry as you’re making out.

I agree, what we have done so far is a great balance, a base of premier league proven players with high end talent added from abroad.

Obviously it’s just rumours but the links at the minute with premier league players aren’t inspiring with players like Mctominay and Billing linked who are average at best. 

IMO initially getting proven premier league players was needed as we needed as we needed to build a base but now we have that base I think there is definitely more value in looking abroad and even taking risks from the South American leagues.

Regarding the cost of those players 35m isn’t really much for a CF these days and if Scammaca comes good in the future it will look like a steal.

On the other 2 the first Nunez doesn’t look great when you compare to Man City getting Haaland and us getting Isak but you have to remember Haaland had a release clause and we only got Isak at that price because he had a down year last season.

He was always going to be a raw prospect but he has high end attributes and if he improves his finishing he will end up being good value. He’s been said to be poor but he’s still got 14 goals in 35 games this year.

The Antony one I always thought was a reach as he is decent but is a bit one dimensional and think that one was more a case of them having their eyes out as that is who bald Klopp wanted.

Even then though he was a young Brazilian international who’d played in the champions league, it wasn’t like it was taking a punt on a nobody. 

You are right it isn’t cut and dry though and there will always be exceptions to the rule. For example we got Pope and Trippier for sweetheart deals really and they are huge for us.

There will always be prem proven players who don’t measure up, there will always be players from abroad who get overpriced. I just feel on average there is better value to be had looking abroad. 

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

Thoughts?

I think you have it nailed even though Willocks recent form puts a lot of pressure on Joelinton.

The way I see it our midfield need the following:

First a physical monster who can dominate games and run teams ragged which IMO we have 2 great candidates for this in the 2 Joes.

Secondly we need a press resistant 6 who can dictate the game from deep but has the physicality and defensive nous to stop us getting countered. Bruno is amazing at this and there aren’t many players who have the skill set so IMO that will be our big challenge to find someone like that. Rice is the dream but I’d like Ugarte as well.

Our 3rd player is where I think we can improve most, Longstaff does a great job and his workrate is invaluable and I could still see him getting game time in games we need to be more solid but we need more creativity wise from that position especially to break down deep blocks. I’d be a bit wary of putting someone like Maddison who’s more naturally a 10 back there as I worry it could upset our balance so we need to find someone with a CM’s physicality but a 10’s creativity.

Bruno is the obvious answer to that one but then for me that means we’d be looking for 2 to play that middle role and finding one is hard enough. 

just watched thisis on ugarte. Not too much that hasn’t already been discussed but I was unaware how good his fitness record has been over the years. His only time mixing games has been vivid or with an arm injury which you would imagine would not be a recurring problem.