Kieran Trippier: targeting return for Brighton (h) (Hope)

Yorkie

31 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

If a number nine makes a mistake a fluffs an easy chance but scores next chance no one remembers the previous error. They do it all the time. Like it says on another thread, Cole missed more than he scored but all we remember are his goals. 
defenders and keepers don’t have that luxury. 

What if a striker misses an easy chance at 90+2 which would've won it, and then he takes a terrible penalty in the shootout right after? Now, what if the same striker has also missed 5-6 absolute sitters + a pen in his last 4 games, without scoring a goal? Would we be talking about it, and possibly also suggest a break? Yes, I'd say.. Especially when we have other options.

Edited by Erikse

1 hour ago, Erikse said:

If they missed, we would still be talking about how Trippier gave away a huge chance at a crucial moment for no reason. What's your point? If all of the 5 mistakes that Trippier made in the past few weeks didn't end in a goal, do you think that we would not have noticed them? And therefore he has actually been fine lately? Because that's basically the same as your logic here. You can use this as an excuse for any defensive mistake ever.

Titus Bramble was actually fine, the problem is that the opponents kept scoring when he made a mistake. If they had missed the chances then it would've been all good!

We'd have noticed them but they wouldn't have seemed so bad.

8 hours ago, Erikse said:

What if a striker misses an easy chance at 90+2 which would've won it, and then he takes a terrible penalty in the shootout right after? Now, what if the same striker has also missed 5-6 absolute sitters + a pen in his last 4 games, without scoring a goal? Would we be talking about it, and possibly also suggest a break? Yes, I'd say.. Especially when we have other options.

I still say that if he misses 5 chances and scores one that’s the one that’s remembered. 

9 hours ago, Erikse said:

I would probably recognise the mistakes he'd made at worst and move past them pretty quickly seeing as he's scored 30 goals in each of his last 2 seasons for us. 

Perspective and context is important. 

16 minutes ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

:lol:

IMG-20231221-WA0017_edit_193057231929916.jpg

Look mint when we do a minute’s applause in the 2nd minute for someone that’s made a couple of mistakes then Luton fans do a minute’s applause in the 4th minute for someone that all but died on the pitch.

10 hours ago, Erikse said:

Then we abuse him enough that he changes his celebration to putting his fingers in his ears

1 hour ago, Thumbheed said:

I would probably recognise the mistakes he'd made at worst and move past them pretty quickly seeing as he's scored 30 goals in each of his last 2 seasons for us. 

Perspective and context is important. 

Which would be an even tell that he's not being himself and may need a break to sort his head out. That's why people are suggesting a break, isn't it?

Someone pointed out that Trippier himself said that he hoped that Simeone dropped him at Atletico when he was going through a bad spell.. How is that controversial then?[emoji38]

Edited by Erikse

50 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Then we abuse him enough that he changes his celebration to putting his fingers in his ears

Oh yeah absolutely! Pointing out the obvious means that I actually hate Trippier and hope everyone abuses him. Clearly!

12 hours ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

If a number nine makes a mistake a fluffs an easy chance but scores next chance no one remembers the previous error. They do it all the time. Like it says on another thread, Cole missed more than he scored but all we remember are his goals. 
defenders and keepers don’t have that luxury. 

Bit of a daft take, you can't have defenders or goalkeepers dropping clangers on the regular. It's one of those issues that might not seem fair but it's just kind of tough as that's the way it is. 

3 hours ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

I still say that if he misses 5 chances and scores one that’s the one that’s remembered. 

Nicolas Jackson has 7 goals, but I still see him as being pretty bad so far. Because he is wasting so many chances. He scored a hat trick against Tottenham, but we weren't impressed because the goals were easy and he also missed some sitters in that very same game.

It probably depends on the player.. If a striker is prone to missing chances, then a few goals will not change that. If Haaland misses a few then we forget about it when he scores a brace or a hat trick in the next game.

Trippier did some blunders last season, and we forgot about it. Usually we won those games anyways, and his blunders were quite rare. Also he was in really good form at the time. The last 2 weeks however is something completely different, and something might have to be done for his own best. Maybe he will be fine starting against Luton though, I'm sure Howe will have that talk with him.

Edited by Erikse

14 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

Bit of a daft take, you can't have defenders or goalkeepers dropping clangers on the regular. It's one of those issues that might not seem fair but it's just kind of tough as that's the way it is. 

It’s not intended to be a literal thing. Just a way of illustrating the point. I’ve stopped following the match threads when I can’t listen to the radio or watch the game because I can’t be arsed with the hysterical vitriol directed at players when there’s a mistake. Miggy and trippier in particular. I just really hope it’s not representative of what happens in the stadium. It’s a frustration that I never get to games because of location and finance so my perception of our support is coloured by the bollocks spouted in the match threads. However shit things would get in the 80’s and early 90’s when I was able to go to matches there was a sense of being much less stressed and demanding about the whole thing. Guess it’s the money and the pervasive media culture that’s been happening since 93. 
having said that, I recall people booing John Bird when the team was announced in the 70’s so maybe I’m wearing nostalgic rose tinted specs. 

Edited by Mahoneys Tache

20 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

It’s not intended to be a literal thing. Just a way of illustrating the point. I’ve stopped following the match threads when I can’t listen to the radio or watch the game because I can’t be arsed with the hysterical vitriol directed at players when there’s a mistake. Miggy and trippier in particular. I just really hope it’s not representative of what happens in the stadium. It’s a frustration that I never get to games because of location and finance so my perception of our support is coloured by the bollocks spouted in the match threads. However shit things would get in the 80’s and early 90’s when I was able to go to matches there was a sense of being much less stressed and demanding about the whole thing. Guess it’s the money and the pervasive media culture that’s been happening since 93. 
having said that, I recall people booing John Bird when the team was announced in the 70’s so maybe I’m wearing nostalgic rose tinted specs. 

Players haven't had any grief in the stadium for a while (and I remember the stick Frank Clark and Tommy's Gibb and Cassidy got), its kept for online these days.

Probably the best right back I have seen play for us (and we have had some good ones when you think about it)

lad is a leader, a role model and seems to have a genuine affection and affinity for the club and area.

Get behind him.

Doesnt mean he isn’t droppable if out of form or exhausted etc.

Hope he knows the vast majority of us appreciate him and are with him during this little bit of a hiccup.

Howay the lads :indi:

Edited by George Bailey
Spelling

A set minutes applause for a player being a bit out of form is only good if its literally taking the piss and the player is hood to go with it, like Sir Les and Steve Watson being booed, otherwise its as cringey as fuck.

20 minutes ago, madras said:

Players haven't had any grief in the stadium for a while (and I remember the stick Frank Clark and Tommy's Gibb and Cassidy got), its kept for online these days.

I think some people see the forum as a place to vent their frustration after a defeat. Like getting the frustration out of their system. The match threads are highly emotional in many ways, and often not so rational, so I don't read them as often anymore.

I think wording matters a lot. There's a difference between saying "3 mistakes in 3 games is hard to ignore", and "3 mistakes in 3 games is fucking terrible", despite the fact that his opinion might be the same either way. What I read from it is that he thinks Trippier would benefit mentally from taking a break. We all know his ability, it's all about the mental part. He just worded himself in a very aggressive manner, indicating that he's still outright upset or mad at Trippier.

Edited by Erikse