Kieran Trippier

Yorkie

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Think that could unlock a midfield purchase.  With Joelinton out for the season and Willock awhile away, we are massively short there.  

It's the fee, not the player. Admittedly, ffp baffles me. I just don't think we'll sign a Wirtz type player, who could unlock defences, otherwise we'd have went for Maddison.

48 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Kane had one year on his deal but went for 100M, so squeeze em till the pips squeak etc.

Trippier is a 33 year old right back.

5 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Almiron has already crashed. The Trippier/Almiron attack died a long time ago.

Maybe we’ve got designs on a right winger with some end product, and to get him we need to sacrifice Trippier. That would take some of the pressure off Gordon and allow our RB to sit deeper.

Maybe Eddie would prefer us to create more through the middle 🤷🏻‍♂️

Taking Trippier out only weakens us if we don’t bring anyone in, and if our intention was always to have our RB being our most creative player, which I doubt was the plan.

I get the FFP, but only pointing out why people dont like to lose Trippier even if its for the good of the club.

As team captain and one of our most creative outlets, losing Trippier would undoubtedly be a blow in the short term, but with him turning 34 in September, it makes sense from an FFP point of view, especially with his long term replacement already at the club.

Edited by The Prophet

Can't understand anyone actively wanting this to happen. Yes we could move him on and just about break even financially but money in the bank doesn't full the big game experience and professional standards gap in the dressing room. You'd be losing a (largely) brilliant player on the park who also offers calmness, experience and nous (in the middle of a huge injury crisis) in exchange for about £16m maybe? He's worth more to us than that.

Fuck that. He can move in the summer if he wants the move that badly

17 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Almiron has already crashed. The Trippier/Almiron attack died a long time ago.

This isn’t a fact, please look at the data and you’ll change your mind. We are consistently progressive down the right side, +8 assists from Trippier alone. Of course some of them are from set pieces.

Edited by Nine

1 minute ago, midds said:

Can't understand anyone actively wanting this to happen. Yes we could move him on and just about break even financially but money in the bank doesn't full the big game experience and professional standards gap in the dressing room. You'd be losing a (largely) brilliant player on the park who also offers calmness, experience and nous (in the middle of a huge injury crisis) in exchange for about £16m maybe? He's worth more to us than that.

Fuck that. He can move in the summer if he wants the move that badly

He's 33 and we can spend X3 what we get for him on transfers.

33 minutes ago, Slim said:

Absolutely it frees up some FFP, and management will have weighed it up. Next few days will be interesting, think he stays for now though.

Edited by Nine

1 minute ago, Slim said:

How much of that would we need to spend on the player to replace everything he gives us?

8 minutes ago, midds said:

How much of that would we need to spend on the player to replace everything he gives us?

This is my thinking too. Our entire attacking setup is built around Trippier, unless you can replace him with someone else creative in midfield, we would basically be throwing away any hopes of a European push imo. In fact I think we'd drift further down the table if anything, taking the injury crisis into account too. 

I get the long term side of it, but as a January sale I'm certainly not thrilled to see him go. 

10 minutes ago, midds said:

It's an expectation over the next ~5 years though. Of course, he cannot be replaced right now, but we can replace his impact over that duration, during which he stops playing. 

1 minute ago, Jagten said:

It's an expectation over the next ~5 years though. Of course, he cannot be replaced right now, but we can replace his impact over that duration, during which he stops playing. 

I get the fact he's 33 and will need to be moved n at some point but this window is absolutely not the right time. We're on the bones of our arse and it's felt like it's been held together with sellotape for the last few months. Selling one of the lynchpins of the entire squad both on and off the park for a poxy £15m or whatever seems like the worst deal going. It's nearly February, surely he can stay until May and see it out here? If he wants to move on and we can replace him with a bit of time to figure it all out then we absolutely should do that. 

If it was Almiron I'd drive him there myself. Tripps is a different kettle of fish completely, he stays until the moment to sell him benefits us rather than hinders us

18 minutes ago, midds said:

Also ignores agent fees, signing on fees, trippier gets a golden handshake fir not asking to leave. If we are near the limit its not as easy as simply multiplying his fee. It's a whole mess of things that might not work out

3 minutes ago, Slim said:

20 x 3 is £60 mil

Where did you get 20 from ? 

We paid 12, 2 years ago. If he wants away (as he did then) then I would imagine 10 at best. 

22 minutes ago, Slim said:

He'll be closing on 34 in the summer and we'll get less every year. Yes he's a fabulous player but his shelf life is limited, I think the club would have to make hard decisions if they want to keep progressing.

23 minutes ago, midds said:

That Tino Livramento has looked quite decent to me, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could step up and do a good job.

3 minutes ago, Hudson said:

Where did you get 20 from ? 

We paid 12, 2 years ago. If he wants away (as he did then) then I would imagine 10 at best. 

Let's meet half way

15 equals 45 mil in real terms.

Just now, TRon said:

That Tino Livramento has looked quite decent to me, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could step up and do a good job.

Totally agree, Tino has looked great. Still think we'd lose a lot of intangibles by moving him on right now. I'm sure Tino could start at RB and do really well but that would leave us short in other starting positions and cover too. At the end of the day he's a mint player (bit of a bad run admittedly) but exchanging all the positives he brings on and off the park for a relatively small amount of money just sees like bad business to me. I just don't get the desire to actively move him on right now. If it happens then it happens but I think we'll be significantly worse off for it

25 minutes ago, midds said:

We have a very good right back ready to go. From a personality point of view, how long do we want to keep him to be around the place as a good egg?

I'm not saying you don't have a valid point but if we are targeting players of Tonali calibre (or potential), the personalities and mentalities come with it. Bruno, Botman, Isak and hopefully Tonali are all players we should be able to trust in big games.

Sentimentality can cost.

I'm not saying I WANT him to go, but I can see the merit in the arguement. I won't be disappointed either way.

1 minute ago, STM said:

We have a very good right back ready to go. From a personality point of view, how long do we want to keep him to be around the place as a good egg?

I'm not saying you don't have a valid point but if we are targeting players of Tonali calibre (or potential), the personalities and mentalities come with it. Bruno, Botman, Isak and hopefully Tonali are all players we should be able to trust in big games.

Sentimentality can cost.

I'm not saying I WANT him to go, but I can see the merit in the arguement. I won't be disappointed either way.

Until we know we've replaced everything we'd lose by moving him on is the honest answer tbh :thup:

The difference between £15m now and maybe £9m in the summer is negligible. The impact on the rest of the squad seeing Trippier moved on in a January window, in the middle of an injury crisis, to a German team for relative buttons would be huge imo. He's a leader and a role model to the rest of the squad and it sends out the wrong message. Again, just my opinion

I know he'll move on eventually but not right now, he's still to valuable to us right now. 

6 minutes ago, midds said:

Totally agree, Tino has looked great. Still think we'd lose a lot of intangibles by moving him on right now. I'm sure Tino could start at RB and do really well but that would leave us short in other starting positions and cover too. At the end of the day he's a mint player (bit of a bad run admittedly) but exchanging all the positives he brings on and off the park for a relatively small amount of money just sees like bad business to me. I just don't get the desire to actively move him on right now. If it happens then it happens but I think we'll be significantly worse off for it

Don't get me wrong, if he leaves we are definitely going to be a worse side for it. I just think the club will look at long term over short and they won't want to miss out on a significant transfer fee while they can still get it. Especially considering we desperately need a midfielder.

Anyway, my gut feeling is that we won't get enough to make it worthwhile anyway so he'll still be here for the rest of the season. I'll be happy enough with that as well, I do like having good players at the club.