Kieran Trippier

Yorkie

29 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

The problem is, going to tino first choice and Kraft backup massively weakens us. We need to sign a new right back. I assume we will do in summer anyway.

It will weaken us some, but not having it that it'll "massively" weaken us. Livramento isn't a like for like replacement, but he has qualities Tripps doesn't have. The lad is 21 and needs to start more games to improve. If Krafths contract isn't extended, we need to bring in a back-up to Livramento, not someone who could hamper his progress.

Edited by Conjo

Now is the best time to sell him , middle of the season when we don't have a great deal left to play for and if the last few months are anything to go by he is already on the decline . 

Just now, Conjo said:

It will weaken us some, but not having it that it'll "massively" weaken us. Livramento is a like for like replacement, but he has qualities Tripps doesn't have. The lad is 21 and needs to start more games to improve. If Krafths contract isn't extended, we need to bring in a back-up to Livramento, not someone who could hamper his progress.

The problem is we currently have one of the best right backs in the league backed up by another of the best right backs in the league. Kraft is a MASSIVE drop off 

Just now, Geogaddi said:

Now is the best time to sell him , middle of the season when we don't have a great deal left to play for and if the last few months are anything to go by he is already on the decline . 

Will people fuck off saying this bollocks please. We’re not writing the season off in January.

Just now, Shearergol said:

The problem is we currently have one of the best right backs in the league backed up by another of the best right backs in the league. Kraft is a MASSIVE drop off 

Ah, yes. Misunderstood what you meant then. Agree with that, but unless we qualify for Europe or Livramento gets a long term injury it's not like he would play much if anything next season anyway.

Krafth was decent enough during Trippiers injury, and he's seemingly come back in as good or better shape than he was. He's on massive wages compared to what we get in return, so I expect we won't renew and we'll get someone new in.

Just now, Conjo said:

Ah, yes. Misunderstood what you meant then. Agree with that, but unless we qualify for Europe or Livramento gets a long term injury it's not like he would play much if anything next season anyway.

Krafth was decent enough during Trippiers injury, and he's seemingly come back in as good or better shape than he was. He's on massive wages compared to what we get in return, so I expect we won't renew and we'll get someone new in.

That’s the ideal scenario. Hopefully we can protect Tino until summer.

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Will people fuck off saying this bollocks please. We’re not writing the season off in January.

Joelinton out for the rest of the season was the final nail in the coffin for this season , we will likely finish 8th at best.

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

Would love to see a young CB brought in this summer that can also be second choice RB.

2 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Joelinton out for the rest of the season was the final nail in the coffin for this season , we will likely finish 8th at best.

You just said we don’t have much left to play for. I mean, league positions? Europe?

fine, you personally feel we can’t, but the club won’t take that same stance and just write the season off man 

10 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Just the FA Cup and European qualification. Nah, nowt.

14 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

8th is still something to aim for.  The club should be trying to finish as high as they can.  8th would have been a decent finish at the start of the season for me - and there still remains the chance that this could be the best season in my lifetime if we actually won the cup

53 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

8th is still something to aim for.  The club should be trying to finish as high as they can.  8th would have been a decent finish at the start of the season for me - and there still remains the chance that this could be the best season in my lifetime if we actually won the cup

8th might mean the conference league, would you want us to be in that?

1 hour ago, timeEd32 said:

This is how I feel about Miggy, but I'm not sure this is true for Trippier. He could easily be our starting RB and captain for the first game next season.

It also feels like we're potentially set at fullback for next season if we keep him. Trippier, Tino, Burn, Hall (presumably), and Targett (unless we can sell him, fingers crossed) provides options and cover. But if we sell him then suddenly Tino is the starting RB, the starting LB is one of those others, and we don't have a backup RB. 

Whereas with Miggy we know we want to upgrade RW anyway and I'm confident it's at or near the top of the club's list. He would be a nice squad option, but there are other ways to go about that (e.g. Gordon as a backup).

With Trippier it feels like we're getting less money for a more important player that may also force us to invest more into his position in the summer.

Yeah, moving Almiron for whatever it ends up being will tremendously help us with FFP considering his age and the need for replacement in any case. Trippier has been so good for us (excluding the last few weeks) that I'm not sure if the help with FFP is worth it, especially if we are able to move Almiron. Getting similar level of performances for even 18 more months would make it hard to justify selling him and we would probably need to sign another fullback next summer.

Saying pretty much the same as you but think he's easily worth more to us in the squad than in the balance sheet.

12 minutes ago, Beth said:

Would be fantastic to be in it too. Many new opponents/countries and we could rotate a ton giving the fringe players and youngsters some minutes. Racking up some UEFA coefficient points too.

Edited by Pata

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

The problem is, going to tino first choice and Kraft backup massively weakens us. We need to sign a new right back. I assume we will do in summer anyway.

This is short term thinking. Also doesn't take into account who we could bring in in the last week of this window which could really give us a massive boost for the second half of the season if we can get some players in which we need right now.

Even with Trippier as good as he is, we are sitting 9th below clubs who sold and moved on last season. I'm pretty sure the club know this, and if we end up hanging onto more and more players who lose value year on year I'd be seriously questioning if they know what they are doing.

19 minutes ago, Beth said:

Yes, absolutely.  Would make the season a success as far as I’m concerned.

If Villa win it, they’ll make around the same as we did in Europe this season - with a trophy and UEFA Cup qualification to boot.  Plus our club’s coefficients would be boosted.

Not sure why any football fan worthy of that title wouldn’t want their club to qualify for European competition.  If people don’t want the club to qualify - which is the entire point of the league (other than winning it), perhaps they should take up a different hobby. 

One of the most transformative signings we have made and I am going to be sad to see him go.  Like others I thought he would retire at the club / become part of the coaching staff.  It is not just what he brings on the pitch it's also what he brings off it.  You can see he leads by example and other players in the squad definitely upped their game when he arrived.  And I do worry about the huge whole he is going to leave in the dressing room - yes Jamal is the club captain but Tripps is the leader. He is the one who has done it at the top level and who the squad clearly look up to.  £15mil may sound a lot for a 33 year old but for what he brings to the team - to me - it sounds very cheap. I understand why he wants to go and I assume provided they receive what they deem a fair market value the club will not stand in his way.   But this will be a huge loss to the club.

Edited by duo